What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Happy Birthday!!!

1 Like

Sounds amazing! Would you / BF be willing to share the zucchini salad recipe? I am looking for inspiration for these ingredients. Thanks!

(post deleted by author)

Dinner last night was another platter of tomato and burrata, with some turkey pepperoni that needed to be used up. I also put out some roasted red peppers, hot pickled cherry peppers, lime pickle, and basil. A mini rosemary baguette too. Vermentino for me and DIPA for him.

19 Likes

I probably live on burrata caprese for most of the summer. That, and COTC. The only two things I look forward to returning home.

4 Likes

Seems to have started as a Viet-American adaptation - butter and maggi seasoning on spaghetti. There’s a write-up in NYT from when VFAD was released.

I also remember reading about something similar as a cult restaurant dish in San Francisco. Oh wait - here’s Kenji in the NYT with largely the same recipe and the restaurant story.

(Interesting that the BA writer didn’t give any cultural attribution for what is substantially the same dish with the additional step of browning the butter.)

3 Likes

Right?!

1 Like

Coctel de Camarones, a Rick Bayless recipe- https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/acapulco-style-shrimp-cocktail/ . Tortilla chips, wine, and beer to go with.

21 Likes

Sure, probably want bowls that are tall enough to hold in those juices though :yum: This was half a recipe.

1 Like

Ok so in the spirit of the season I was going to make a delicious cheese steak on a wonderful loaf of sesame seed bread. I knew I had an open box of a minute cheesesteak in the freezer I could use as filler.

Well I being the dolt that I am confused the open box of bubba burgers AND now a buddy was coming over AND I had already “borrowed” from my shaved steak for my surf and turf pizza last night!! (Whew!!)

So we have cheese burger - cheese steak with fried peppers, onions (red and sweet) and one jalapeño for good luck! Delicious fresh out of the oven sesame seed twist bread with a crunchy crust and soft pillowy inside to soak up all the grease from the meat.

It honestly worked very well with some truffle parmigiana cauliflower tots and store bought macaroni salad. I thought the yellow tint was mustard which I do not like in macaroni salad but can tolerate it. After my first mouth full I made the horrible reality via taste and texture that it was macaroni and egg salad!?!?! :face_vomiting::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::nauseated_face: What kind of mad men think of these horrible things?

Fun Fact: I actually like hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs, egg salad is a 100% texture thing. I did have one burp-back as I was trying to brave through another fork full. Never show fear!!

Mine with horseradish rauce and ketchup.

Tots!

:face_vomiting::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::nauseated_face:

20 Likes

Right there with you on both counts!

3 Likes

Getting ready to sous vide this monster rib eye weighing a little over 2 pounds . 130 degrees for 2 hours . Then grilled over oak charcoal. Also picked up Italian sausages and German hot dogs . The real foot longs . I love this store . I’m loaded up . Yes literally. Cheers. Happy fourth .

Corn on the side with beans .

22 Likes

Dayum. That rib eye tho :star_struck:

5 Likes

Oh yeah from northern California cattle country.

1 Like

One of the best pizzas I’ve ever made:

Prosciutto, caramelized onions, and arugula, with grated mozzarella on the bottom, and with an aged 47yo balsamic from Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, MA, drizzled on top (a gift from a former friend when the vinegar was probably 25yo at the time). The friendship didn’t last, but the aged balsamic vinegar sure as hell did!

Wine.

And gingered peach and blueberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

26 Likes

All looks great! I would totally eat egg salad dressed macaroni though. Now I am also wondering about deviled egg potato salad, what with July 4th and all…

6 Likes

Working on a weekends worth of Saint Louis ribs, some with store bought sauce and home made dry rub and some just with the rub. And a smoked Italian sausage or two for snacking while we wait.

Smoked

Dry rub

Sauced

I hope to be roasting corn tommorow, and going out to to eat on Monday for our anniversary! 33rd I think.

25 Likes

I always put hard boiled eggs in my macaroni salad! I’m from the mid-west.

I despise deli-made salads of any kind. Glop and burp.

6 Likes

Omg can I come to your house?

2 Likes

WFD tonight was a sad wrap sandwich and a string cheese in the dressing room while I waited to go on stage for the first time since March 2020! Making up for it tomorrow - having an impromptu cookout tomorrow with a few friends. Burgers, dogs, German potato salad (not really German, a bacon-laden recipe with PA Dutch country roots), COTC, cherry pie and ice cream. Friends to bring apps and booze. Will report back with pics!

18 Likes