What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

I used a little bit of BTB mushroom, chicken, and vegetable pastes in my pasta cream sauce yesterday with good results! Just caution, they’re very salty!

@mariacarmen, it has been so long since I purchased oyster sauce, I don’t recall which brand is very good. Would you mind sharing the name(s) of the brand(s) you prefer, please.

1 Like

RE: oyster sauce and Parmesan…that combo is in the same vein as soy sauce-butter, which I love. Throw some mushrooms in the mix and fuggedaboudit.

5 Likes

A couple of better photos from B from dinner yesterday. More watermelon salad to finish off our mini-melon and finishing off our Vietnamese noodle salad, again with shrimp for B, air-fried tofu (not shown) for me. Leftover salmon for B and spring onion.

We went to the coast today and picked up fresh pasta. The mafaldine became dinner tonight. I tried the one-pot pasta thingy with it (which I’ve done with much success with dried pasta) and it became a gloppy stew. B loved it, me not so much. Campari tomatoes/pinto beans (no chickpeas in the house…grrr)/basil/lemon/garlic scape pesto.

18 Likes

It was a full-on summertime meal tonight.

Greek Lemon-Oregano-Thyme Chicken Kebabs (I used chicken thigh meat skinned and cut from the bone) with onions and red bell peppers, all grilled on the grill pan.

Served on Near East rice pilaf with homemade tzaziki sauce alonside, as well as localish (southern NH) COTC, of which 2 were microwaved for dinner. The remaining 10 ears will be cut off the cobs for freezing (both corn kernels and cobs for future corn stock). I’ll probably buy more before the season is done to stock my freezer with fresh corn.

Wine.

23 Likes

Prime rib-eye on the grill with summer veg. Zuccs and asparagus from the garden.

I had to go on my hands and knees into a tall, dark patch of ferned-out asparagus to find those few spears - truly the last of the season.

25 Likes

Surf-n-Turf

23 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ including wood fired U8 shrimp with butternut squash risotto; halibut; prosciutto San Daniele; mushroom panzanella salad with English pea pesto; duck confit; a refreshing amuse bouche of chilled watermelon soup with goat cheese and avocado; and hand cut fries. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and Syrah.

13 Likes

Getting used to a new full-time job (to supplement all my “fun” lectures, etc). To recap the last few nights:

Thursday was takeout Indian food. I had Chicken Vindaloo (I asked for one notch shorter than “Kill Me” on the spice level) and BF had Chicken Kashmiri.

Last night was a quick one pot meal, Spanish Chicken-Rice, and tonight was Chinese takeout since we both worked late. No pics. Currently sipping a Sazerac and there were various cocktails over the last few nights.

20 Likes

Dayum. Those grilled veggies look straight up perfect!

2 Likes

How did the spice level work out for ya?

1 Like

Plans for another rendition of pap-par-delle with chan-te-relles were postponed for a few reasons.

Instead, Italian/German/Belgian Abendbrot was had. Clockwise starting at 6pm: marinated zuke & eggplant, Aurelie (a Belgian, raw-milk bloomed rind goat cheese), herring with pink pepper, Schabzigerkleekäse (cow, washed with clover - absolutely incredible), Tomme de Savoie, coppa, and the last of the raschetta & Taleggio. Between noon and 2pm is fabulous local bread & a salad of baby romaine, baby vine tomatoes, Persian cukes & half an avocado. Local strawbz for dessert (not pictured).

Simples.

22 Likes

Thank you - they were delicious! :yum:

Now I am wanting a prime ribeye. That is one gorgeous plate of deliicious looking food.

1 Like

Postponed pappardelle ai finferli. I love saying pappardelle. Again a bit on the dryer side, but I prefer my pasta to be not overly saucy (got that covered myself TYVM :wink: ). Salad of mâche & baby vine materz on the side. 'twas good.

20 Likes

It was invigorating.

2 Likes

That’s the perfect spice level for me as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very hot in London at the mo, predicted to hit 40c tomorrow. Salads are very much the order of the day.

We had baby potates and green beans that needed using, which was all the excuse I needed to make my fave salad, Salade niçoise. No black olives so had to use green , and also added capers, and some flat leaf parsley for freshness. Decided last minute to add crushed fennel seeds to the vinigerette, which turned out quite well.

22 Likes

Cut the kernels off 10 COTC, for four 2-cup bags for the freezer. Made 6 cups of corn stock (which means I’ll need to use some of previously made stock very soon so as to have room in my downstairs freezer.

Dinner was pork tenderloin, lightly oiled with a fruity Portuguese olive oil, seasoned liberally with Penzeys Tsardust Memories seasoning mix, and baked/roasted in a 350° oven until done.

Served on Israeli couscous with a homemade mango salsa, and sauteed sugar snap peas, carrots and red bell pepper tossed with Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning mix and a pinch of s/p.

Wine.

23 Likes

Achari Swordfish Tikkas, with tomato and cucumber salad. Garlic scape chutney and flatbreads off screen. Recipe adapted from Indian Kitchen by Maunika Gowardhan.

22 Likes