What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Couple of Snake River Farms ribeyes tonight on the grill with green beans. IPA for him and Malbec for me.

20 Likes

Not very summery but neither is the day today. Beef stroganoff. Chopped veg salad.

17 Likes

Last of a batch of pork rillettes from the freezer, with baguette rounds, cornichons, mustard, and flaky sea salt. And wine.

24 Likes

Turkish chicken kebabs on the grill. Greek salad. Couscous.

23 Likes

An all British G&T.

Gochujang chicken wings with kimchi ranch dipping sauce, Asian corn and a cucumber salad with shallots, red chile, rice vinegar, oo and red chile paste dressing. Black sesame seeds.

19 Likes

this is my go-to, not even sure where I originally got it anymore, and it’s been tweaked a bit here and there… it tastes like the real deal!

Garlic Noodles
1 lb. fresh (or dried) noodles (Shanghai, Taiwanese, egg, fettucine, spaghetti, etc.)
2 tbs. olive oil
3-4 cloves finely minced garlic
2 tbs. oyster sauce
1/3 cup grated parm regg
2 tbs. granulated garlic (not powder)
½ stick butter
2 tsp. chicken bouillon (the granulated stuff, cubes or from a jar)

Directions
Boil noodles (if fresh, make sure to separate so no clumping)
Heat olive oil, then add butter to melt
Add garlic, turn heat to low, cook just until fragrant
Add granulated garlic, stir
Add bouillon powder, stir
Add oyster sauce, stir
Add noodles, stir
Add parm, stir, toss several times.

Voila! enjoy!

15 Likes

Have made these garlic noodles before per @mariacarmen 's recipe and I can attest that although oyster sauce and Parmesan seem like weird bedfellows, these are SUBLIME.

10 Likes

snacky dinner tonight. stupidmarket i went to by work didn’t have any burrata so fresh mozz had to suffice for my caprese. whole COTC with Everything But the Bagel seasoning for me, corn salad for the BF, and he put together the rest. Perfect for a Friday evening.

18 Likes

thank you! they do seem weird but it’s all in service of the UMAMI!

2 Likes

Do you have a recipe/notes/whatever on your rillettes? it looks swoon-y…

Snake River steaks are so good…

2 Likes

Yes! It was one of those weeks where we felt we’d earned them by Friday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An absolutely wonderful time at Dali in Somerville,
MA with a friend. We drank, ate, talked, laughed. Sorely needed, all of it.

No pics of sangria tonight, but THIS time I got pics of all of the food.

Roast duck with berry sauce

Deep-fried saffron-battered shrimp with mojo sauce

Scallops in saffron cream sauce

Peppery beef tenderloin on toast with roasted red pepper.

Cuarenta y Tres (with Julio in the background)

Lemon Crema Catalana with a Crackle Glaze

16 Likes

Sure I just used Kenji’s recipe from Seriouseats - very simple https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pork-rillettes-recipe

1 Like

The bacon is cooked first and than added to the dumpling batter.
And these dumplings are some of the most “classical” comfort foods in Southern Germany (even though I am from the Northern part and we make jokes about each other, e.g. southern rednecks vs northern snotty, cold hearted brats - I gave to admit those dumplings are an excellent dish)

4 Likes

Oven roasted cod (just with paprika, salt and pepper) with a lemon-capers-scallion-parsley relish over couscous and a side of spinach

16 Likes

Sweet thank you. Parmesan is a surprising ingredient! Could you sub the granulated chicken bouillon with some amount of the BTB pastes/concentrates?

No doubt.

Fab focaccia (salsiccia & funghi, eggplant)

before catching Andrew Bird (!!!) with a couple of fantastic supporting musicians (b & d) at the Metropol theater, a fairly small venue. Absolutely amazing show.

All that listening makes ya hungry again, so we stopped in our favorite falafel purveyor (our first visit to the place this summer wut!) and split the makkali 2 plate: fried potato, carrot, eggplant, zuke, cauli & the best falafel in town. A few drops of sauce and a couple scattered onions rounded out the plate :rofl:

20 Likes

Ooo I have that same china. Cdc (constant dining companion) discovered some abandoned blueberries in the fridge during a late night munchie attack. I just heard the very first bird sing the day in as it is slightly after five am. So blueberry pancakes from a mix but we had some eggs and milk just chillin’ so we will use those up. No bacon though! Yours looks great.

1 Like