What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Mrs. P made a delicious baked whole red snapper stuffed with fresh herbs, garlic, capers, and vermouth combination. It was very fresh and moist. She also made guacamole and we had crispy TJ’s sweet potato fries (not pictured). It went great with an excellent Amarone.

21 Likes

Just give us some hints from the taste what it could be

2 Likes

Louie Louie

22 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Tsukune-inspired, Japanese-style meatballs. Roasted sesame green beans from the garden. Steamed rice.

I had intended to cook the meat yakitori style on the grill, but ultimately decided to go with roasting and finishing off under the broiler. No skewers involved. I also intended to make these 100% chicken, but having pulled the wrong box out of the freezer, they ended up being 70/30 pork/chicken. No harm done there, in any case.

With thanks to fellow HO member @saregama for some quite useful links, these came out very good. I will happily make again.

19 Likes

Woks of Life Cantonese braised beef shank & daikon i made last month, pulled from the freezer. BF made yummy sweet sticky rice to go with. This was a great combo, I need to make more and keep some in the freezer at all times. Perfect for a chilly day like today (sorry everyone, summer in SF!) And the BF’s nice little salad of odds and ends from the veggie crisper.

18 Likes

In Pittsburgh on a road trip. Stopped into Beto’s Pizza to try Ohio Valley style pizza (aka the McDLT of pizza -hot crust and sauce, cold toppings and unmelted cheese). Good at first, bad by the end, and fucking weird from start to finish.

13 Likes

Outside on the deck . It’s a cool 88 degrees from a 102 this afternoon. Pork ribs of the traeger. German potato salad with coleslaw. I feel like I’m at the beach . No shoes no shirt on the deck . I’m not going to cook on the stove on this wonderful hot evening . Cheers .

20 Likes

Fresh tagliatelle with Rao’s marinara and sausage, with tomato and broccolini and Kewpie sesame dressing. And wine.

19 Likes

Mixed fried shellfish (shrimp, scallops and oysters), cod, haddock (no photo), calamari (no photo) and coleslaw from my favorite fish & chips shop in London, Ontario.

I thought we had leftover roast potatoes from Thu, so I ordered no chips for the first time ever, then found out we had only 2 pieces roasted potato left over. Added pickled beets, green salad, local corn and canned Heinz curry baked beans (a UK import) as sides at home to round out the meal.

Leftover blackcurrant clafoutis and one slice of leftover bumbleberry pie for dessert.

20 Likes

Reminds me of the old SNL skit with Steve Martin and Bill Murray.

This all looks PERFECTLY fried! Oh my!

1 Like

@BeefeaterRocks, my mouth is watering. Just beautiful.

1 Like

Yeah, no. Ew.

Grilled chicken with Sumi Afghan rub and TJ’s Aleppo chili sauce, couscous pesto salad, spinach salad with walnut honey mustard vinaigrette, foraged cauliflower mushroom.

16 Likes

Tonight’s trip to ribfest was a success! I ordered a combination meal which included 1/3 rack of ribs, 1/4 chicken and coleslaw, baked beans and mac 'n cheese on the side. I ate the pork and sides tonight and brought the chicken home for a future dinner. The pork was fall-off-the-bone moist and the mac 'n cheese were awesome. The coleslaw and beans were ho-hum. The best part of the evening is that I found a new favourite lager. It was the best beer I’ve had in a long time.

14 Likes

Haircut Day.

Which means a visit to my Happy Place, Wegmans. (Even my hairdresser knows where I’m going after my cut.)

Had my brain set on something else, but when I saw the number of coral-colored dry scallops in the fishmonger’s case, I screeched to a halt and got them all.

(And for anyone thinking scallops are too expensive to cook at home, the scallops in the picture cost me $8.58…they’d be at least $35 in a restaurant for that number of scallops, if not more.)

Wanted to try something different from my usual, so off to the Google.

Made seared scallops with crème d’échalote (French creamy shallot sauce) based on a video on YouTube. I chose not to strain the shallots and tarragon (used dried vs fresh) and cracked pepper, served it over leftover Basmati rice with steamed asparagus alongside. And it was very good!

There was definitely wine. And before dinner was prepared, I made a peach, plum, and blueberry crumble for dessert. Forgot to buy vanilla ice cream, but might make a quick vanilla whipped cream to go with.

24 Likes

Pork spareribs, Yukon potatoes, onions and cremini mushrooms.

15 Likes

That looks so appetizing!