What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

so interesting that the recipe calls for chocolate!

and thanks for the explanations. good to know.

1 Like

what was up, do you have any idea why it was so busy?

1 Like

Sourdough halibut and chips.

Fish was hand battered, but spuds were from frozen (McCain’s).

17 Likes

Well, we are five minutes from the first major beach on the Jersey Shore. Any day, weekend in particular, above 95 degrees and we’re expecting a slaughter. This past weekend was a brutal heat wave-- temperature hit 102 on my car dashboard. Yeah. Just wave after wave of hungry and thirsty tourists.

3 Likes

Before there was the Martini, there was the…Martinez? This late 19th century cocktail is one that I had tried only once before at a historic inn years ago and enjoyed, but kind of forgot about it. I saw a Liquor.com Instagram post yesterday which reminded me of it, so here we are. It is really quite delightful, like a Martini-Manhattan hybrid. Strong but light, floral, and slightly sweet. Goes down too easy. Great for summer sipping. Bombay Sapphire, sweet vermouth, Luxardo, Angostura.

Oh, yes, there was food too. I was off from my full time mundane job today but was asked if I was available to work my teaching job. It’s a different program we run in the summer, out on the beach with school/camp groups. We go over marine biology and maritime history. Anyway, today was hot and muggy. Disgusting, really. A three hour work day felt like forever. I got home and though I fully intended to cook something extravagant due to being home at a reasonable hour, I didn’t have any energy so I made a shrimp curry (had shrimp in the freezer, naan, a curry spice packet from the Indian market, and made basmati rice). It was good but have been overdoing it with Indian lately.

18 Likes

After a week of eating through my nephew’s NYC food wish list, dinner tonight was substituted by a HO-down in the form of a grazing food crawl that started at lunch and lasted several hours.

List of what we ate over here:

16 Likes

Chile relleno filled with cheese, with rice, pinto beans, corn tortillas, and veg.

27 Likes

Pasta with pesto rosso (made from dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, pecan nuts, jalapeño, garlic, parmesan and olive oil) with some sautéed snap peas and topped with some burrata

16 Likes

Here is some explanation from the book:

I’ve also seen a recipe that adds Coca Cola to the mix:

2 Likes

Wow! Does he cook like this after a full day of work?

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner was stirfried chicken and broccoli served over rice noodles. My hankering for rice noodles continues…

15 Likes

It has been a while since I’ve joined in the fun here but could not resist sharing a picture of this delicious phyllo tomato galette I made on Sunday after harvesting a bunch of tomatoes. Reheated a couple of squares for breakfast and leftovers are just as good. Served with a cabbage slaw, roasted shishitos, and grilled peaches with pomegranate balsamic.

Tomato galette

25 Likes

You’ve just posted a picture of my death row dinner

3 Likes

Last night was stuffed peppers. Two greens from the CSA, and then I had half a red and a little less than half of a yellow left over from another meal, so I stuffed them too. I much prefer the green peppers for stuffing. The red and yellow were too sweet and it didn’t taste right. I normally don’t put tomato sauce on my stuffed peppers, but I had some already made that I wanted to use up, so why not? On the side were roast potatoes with harissa spices from the Sahadi book (current COTM). Very simple, but the kind of thing you just want to keep eating.

20 Likes

WANT. And that plate. Swoon.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a basa fillet in black bean sauce, broccoli in black bean sauce and rice noodles.

11 Likes

Tonight we grilled Niman Ranch tomahawk pork chops on our new Weber. I rubbed them with Spicewalla mustard-tarragon, honey-herb, and black pepper-coriander blends. Sides were creamy dilled tomato-cucumber salad and pearl couscous salad with garden herb and pistachio pesto, zucchini, and peas. Obviously I had to attack that delicious rib bone; I came nowhere close to finishing the chop or the pasta. My DH is a bit of an over-portioner. I also have a hearty appetite.

21 Likes

THAT CHOP :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Chicken thigh piccata, cotc, cucumber, tomato, onion, o&v dressing with basil chiffonade salad.
The parsleys missed the photo shoot, but they made it to the plate before it was consumed.

19 Likes

the BF is sadly underemployed at the moment. but i mean, it’s not really that much work, and some things (like the sprouts) he already had ready. what he’s really good at is managing leftovers and extra produce that needs using up before it goes bad.

but i’m not trying to underplay how effing great he is. :laughing: cuz he is. :heart_eyes:

14 Likes