HO Flushing Food Crawl - Report and Discussion

Me too. And I’m stuffed.

Good to meet you! I’m glad we got to try as much as we did. For a return visit later this week, consider Maxi’s Noodle, which would have been awkward for six but is perfect when you’re willing to sit at an outdoor two-top:
https://www.eatingintranslation.com/2021/01/maxis-noodle.html

1 Like

We have not had Winton mein yet. This looks super! We are definitely going back to new York Food Court. Today was our first time and there is so much that looked good.

Thanks again.

1 Like

For those of us who still have to work for a living and even go to that strange place once known as the office, it would be great to see a food crawl on the weekend or at least “after” work. Looks like it was a feast for the eyes and mouth.

2 Likes

That was fun - and a bit tiring! Nice to meet some new folks from elsewhere, too.

I realize that I did NOT in fact, eat ANY XLB, never mind my proposal of compare-and-contrast, lol. I should have abstained on Tianjin and saved some room.

I did see and stop by the takeout location of Dim Sum Garden before the subway (got an order of shumai, which were about all I could manage for dinner after everything we consumed on the crawl).

Also got a cup of the strong coffee I was craving (and the last sponge cake – for another day) from the little bakery across from New World on Main. The lady was very nice - when I ordered my coffee I said I was sad they had run out of sponge cake, so she ran out to check all the shelves, and found me one last one that had been misplaced with the cream cakes.

3 Likes

Thanks again to @DaveCook for his guidance (and I hope he posts pics too)!

This is where I think we ended up eating (so I can find them again, and for those who couldn’t make it):

New World Mall:
Tarim Uyghur Food - diced fried noodles
Laoma Malatang - dry pot

New York Food Court:
Liang Pi Wang - spicy cold skin noodles
Distinctive Foods - seafood rice cakes
Huang Jin Jiao - beef stomach (was supposed to be baby squid) & greens

Walking around:
White Bear - dumplings with hot sauce
Followsoshi - roasted cold noodles with pork and mushroom
Tianjin - fried dumplings, chive and egg pancake, bread
Next to Tianjin - century egg sausage

ETA from Dave:
New World Mall: Molixian - mango snowy ice

ETA:
My favorites were the diced noodles and seafood rice cakes.
The roasted cold noodles were interesting as an twist on jian bing, and the spicy cold skin noodles were very flavorful.

6 Likes

Finally, back at the New World Mall, various beverages and, from Molixian (stall 26) an oversized communal mango snowy ice. Photos to come, but I’m still catching up from the weekend.

2 Likes

@BKeats – the day / time was based on who responded to @SteveR. Had you suggested shifting the crawl to the weekend when he posted the thread, it could probably have still worked (the group might have changed).

The other things planned so far have been / will be dinners – again, based on when people who said they’d like to join could make it.

I’ll also say that if there’s something you’d like to propose yourself, there’s plenty of interest in eating together as a group going forward!

Thanks for reporting back, and Dean, thanks for the pics!

Uyghur food is great! The best I’ve had so far has been at the other end of the city at Cafe Kashkar. That’s a good place to bring a group under normal circumstances. I have no idea whether they have outdoor dining now, though; I haven’t been there since before the pandemic.

Yum! I think timing was chosen because thinking was weekend would have been too crowded? But maybe I am just filling in the blanks. Anyway, I’m with @BKeats, weekend or even a late afternoon/evening when it might be possible to leave/rearrange work would be great another time! I’ll try not to be shy about suggesting something like that at some point! In any case, thanks for sharing all your notes. The vicarious experience was wonderful.

1 Like

Thank you everybody for a wonderful afternoon! I needed a day in the city and that was perfect! I hope to see everybody again soon.

2 Likes

sorry to have missed it, looks wonderful and preferable to having to pick up our dog from the sitter in westchester! i’m going to have to drag my family there soon…

ps y’all were brave to consume that blue sausage…

1 Like

i can identify with your search for sponge cake, flushing bakery is always my last stop in flushing and it’s been bitter disappointment to find them sold out of pastéis de nata a couple of times.

1 Like

Actually, doing it that afternoon was based on Dean and his wife coming in from Baltimore and asking to do this. We looked at his schedule, mine & Dave Cook’s (since he was going to lead this) and found the common date/time. I’m good with doing another on a weekend, but I’m not sure that an after work time (6pm or later) would work out for the stalls or for traveling time. Flushing is pretty much the only neighborhood that I don’t drive to and the #7 train sucks. But, if that’s what’ll work better for some of you, then its worth a try.

We can vouch for strong coffee and delightful sponge cake. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

1 Like

Since some of my photos of these items from our crawl …

Diced fried noodles, Tarim Uyghur Food
Dry pot (the more photogenic of two), Laoma Ma La Tang
Liang pi, Liang Pi Wang
Seafood rice cakes (“seafood sticky rice ball” on the menu), Distinctive Food Service
Tripe and greens, Huang Jin Jiao
Wontons with hot sauce, White Bear
Roasted cold noodles with pork and enoki mushrooms, Quicitop (successor business to Followsoshi)
Fried pork dumplings, a pork bing and a chive pancake, Tian Jin Dumpling House
Preserved egg sausage, Yazhaifuruen
Mango snowy ice, Molixian

… seem to be a tad too large for the HO system, you can find them here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eatingintranslation/albums/72177720300968814

5 Likes

i’m going to stick with my observation that the blue sausage took the most courage for y’all to eat reinforced by Dave’s Rorschach photo where I can’t help but see a fetus. I’m sure when I see @ninkat next she’s going to recommend five-day-a-week therapy for the rest of my life… :slight_smile:

as always Dave, fabulous photos!

1 Like

Here is an interesting website for flushing dumplings:

3 Likes

it was one of those moments when courage was rewarded! The blue sausage was one of the most delicious egg dishes I’d eaten in a very long time. I eat a “straight” preserved egg every now and then, but this was much better.

1 Like

Thanks again, Brian, for taking the plunge! This was good.