What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Achari Swordfish Tikkas, with tomato and cucumber salad. Garlic scape chutney and flatbreads off screen. Recipe adapted from Indian Kitchen by Maunika Gowardhan.

22 Likes

We had dinner with friends. We brought garden cukes, homemade ranch dip, local black bean hummus, baguette, broccoli, and foraged chanterelle, puffball, cauliflower, and coral mushrooms. Those were roasted under a buttered herbed chicken and served with celeriac puree and roasted carrots. We brought ATK local peach cobbler with lightly whipped cream for dessert. A Pinot Gris from Oregon, and they served a Verdicchio from Italy. Altogether…killer.

25 Likes

These look great!

3 Likes

Thank you! I think this is the second time I have made this recipe and I need to keep remembering it because it is quick, easy, and very flavorful! I love achari style anything!

1 Like

Tonight’s dinner was a spring roll noodle bowl:

24 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at The Circle Restaurant including an excellent beet salad with fresh beets from their garden, sunflower seeds, pickled cucumbers, charred watermelon, in a lemon vinaigrette dressing; creamy burrata with spring peas; pansotti pasta with eggplant, chevre, toasted pecans, and charred watermelon; an awesome crescent duck breast for two with homemade kimchi, marinated cucumber, seaweed, pickled carrots and radish, and homemade sriracha and hoisin sauce. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

9 Likes

Chicken diavolo. Garden romaine with homemade Caesar dressing.

This is the second time I’ve made the diavolo. I used double the chili flakes over last time, and let the chili oil infuse a full month (instead of 10 days). Much better. Not too hot, but noticeably there.

Once I’ve fully strained the chili flakes from the oil, I’m thinking I’ll use them to make chili crisp. Hate to see them go to waste.

19 Likes

made green curry paste with cilantro, thai basil, a little fresh mint, toasted and ground coriander, red onion, shallots, dried ground shrimp, fish sauce, thai bird chilies. fried it in a little oil and then added coconut milk and a little homemade chicken stock, dried lemongrass that i steeped in boiling water (no fresh to be found this morning!), makrut lime leaf, and let it all simmer for a while. Holy cow it turned out great! Threw in just a pinch of corn starch to thicken a bit. Added seared pork shoulder, carrots, red bell pepper and Thai eggplant. Finished with cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt for just a little more thickness. Served with jasmine rice.

19 Likes

It’s hot! String bean and French breakfast radish salad with sour cream lime dressing.

IMG_3207

Send in the clams!

IMG_3209

16 Likes

Mochitlan-style beef stew - beef chuck pieces cooked in pressure cooker with chickpeas and a sauce made from plenty of guajillo chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves, onion and garlic. Afterwards briefly cook some zucchini and finish with lime juice and cilantro - served with some corn tortillas.

17 Likes

We are binge eating nyc memory favorites here as I have two young visitors with me for a few days.

After bagels, dim sum and more, and fried Oreos from the street fair, I hit pause on outside food for dinner and made them cheesetoast aka grilled cheese (using the sourdough and cheddar we bought this morning) with a side of steamed broccoli and then fresh berries.

Much later (hey, it’s summer vacation!) we went out for gelato.

Gratuitous pic of the silent disco at Lincoln Center - that’s a giant disco ball hanging over the working fountain!

23 Likes

I marvel at the meals you cook for yourself.

1 Like

Yes absolutely just like Sunday & ice-cream Sundae. We all love summers.

1 Like

That sounds so good!

1 Like

Yum! Did you reference a recipe for proportions? I think I have everything!

1 Like

Thanks! Gives me work lunch and home dinner leftovers for a couple of days during the start of the week when it’s usually crazy-busy.

1 Like

Kimchi Fried Rice

18 Likes

no, i winged it… sorry!

1 Like

one of my favorites! yours looks excellent.

1 Like

just whatever i find in the grocery store - i think we usually get Lee Kum Kee.