What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

I have not, but I’m having deja vu about us discussing this - about how the word kima is the same - because it’s kheema in hindi and others and qeema/keema in urdu, all from persian likely.

My mom made a great moussaka when we were growing up - I think she used a slightly less spiced kheema base for that (also for stuffed tomatoes).

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I was curious about the etymology, as I am also familiar with makaronia me kima @prima / @Phoenikia mentioned, but had never made the connection with keema/kheema.

Seems like the origin is Turkish. Fascinating.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/क़ीमा

3 Likes

Love your Babe reference!

1 Like

Thanks @LindaWhitt. I did do that, but when I deleted what I had typed previously on the posts, I was no longer allowed to type. I must have done something wrong, but can’t figure out what.

1 Like

Here was tonight’s adventure;

9 Likes

Big trip to Restaurant Depot yesterday, which included the obligatory side of Faroe Islands salmon, so salmon burgers for dinner tonight to use up the scraps created by trimming and cutting in filets for the freezer. They fell apart in the pan so they were too ugly to photograph, but they tasted great! Roasted cauliflower with coriander and smoked paprika alongside. Fabulous with ice cold Sauv Blanc.

13 Likes

Errands for work and myself.

Dinner decided on the way home: chicken breast stuffed with a mixture of slivered oil-packed sundried tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, minced garlic, fresh slivered basil, minced fresh thyme and oregano, and lemon zest, pan-seared then into the convection oven to finish cooking.

Sauce was sauteed minced onions in the fat left behind from the chicken, adding white wine and lemon juice to be reduced. Added a couple of crumbles of goat cheese to smooth out the sauce., topping after slicing with more oregano and basil.

Basmati rice and steamed green beans alongside with wine.

Dessert will be vanilla ice cream with crushed local strawberries and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.

26 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ including tuna tartare; lobster bisque with saffron and PEI mussels; watermelon, peach and feta salad; black sea bass, and pork chop. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

13 Likes

Ground chicken and garden veg stir fry: cabbage, carrots, scallions.

Served on a bed of steamed rice.

Recipe here.

17 Likes

I got Britbox for my mom for Mother’s Day and I think I’m enjoying it as much as her. Finally starting “Poirot” tonight, many many years overdue. Figured to mark the occasion with a Kir, which is Creme de Cassis (apparently frequently drank by Hercule Poirot) and a dry white wine (Wente Chardonnay).

Whenever we drink outside, we have to take our house keys with us. Why? Because our indoor escape artist cat loves to try to get outside, and when we don’t let him, he actually knows how to get revenge by locking us out. And tonight, for the third or fourth time, he got up on a little table near the back door and slammed the latch down, locking us out.

Dinner: 10 hour slow cooker brisket in a Budweiser gravy, an old family favorite. Rather than cooking on low, this goes full blast on high and develops the kind of bark you would get from an actual smoker. And still fall-apart tender. The gravy is rich and delicious. You need mashed potatoes, of course, but let’s add a seeded Martin’s roll to soak up all that goodness. Because carbs!

And yes, even though he didn’t deserve it, the cat got some brisket. Ugh.

29 Likes

Tonight: Coctel de mariscos, jamón with cantaloupe.

20 Likes

I made a lovely bean & ground pork soup for dinner which had me reflecting that when I was growing up there was no whole house air conditioning & we would never dream of making soup at this time of year.

20 Likes

Yes! Because carbs!

Your cat is adorable, btw!

3 Likes

@AudreyFromNE -

Oh yes! When I was very young we lived in a beautiful brick victorian in PA - with no central air, just window units in the bedrooms. Then my dad had a job change and we moved to Ohio, to a bigger house with central air. Suddenly in the summer we had stews and braises and roasts. As my dad said one day “We would have never cooked this in Pittsburgh the summer!”
Air conditioning changes heaps!

6 Likes

Bad kitty!

2 Likes

When I was growing up in Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill), the only room in our house that had AC was my parents’ bedroom. They generally wouldn’t let us in at night, and I remember suffering through the heat and humidity - not fun!

Would you like to adopt him? :rofl:

2 Likes

Parker probably should not take on a brother at this stage of his life, but thanks for the offer! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn, that’s one sneaky cat. I actually prefer Kir Royal to regular Kir. And that brisket sounds faboski!

4 Likes