Why is it so hard to find Manhattan Special soda in CNJ

Yes , they exist in reality.
Very dedicated consumers from the old country Brooklyn & Bronx) snap them up.

I don’t remember if I ever tried Manhattan Special before.
But recently, I have been mixing expresso or cold brew concentrate with Tonic. Just wondering if Manhattan Special would taste similar to that.

I don’t know what your concoction tastes like but it certainly doesn’t seem like it would.
Pure cane sugar premium espresso & a slight carbonated water mix are the major ingredients. A special brew since around 1895 .

Pay dirt.

1 Like

Where is this? Good/bad, those look like the 12oz bottles, but at least you found someone who stocks it…

Those are the 12oz right? @rooster
Thanks for posting where was this.?
Livotti’s in Freehold on Saturday past had a similar display but only the smaller bottles.
I bought out the shelf of the small original ones

Keyport Italian Salumeria (Italian Market)
The place is under new ownership and while ordering a sandwich found the soda sold there.
W. Front St. (next door to McDonagh’s Pub & Restaurant)
Small bottles. I left w/8 bottles. $2.50/each
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks that’s a wonderful find maybe Friday for a sangwhich & a few oz’s of Manhattan Special
Not sure but I think Livotti was $1.99 each for MS

Haven’t been there in quite a while but this place used to always have them. http://www.antoniosgourmet.net/

What a blast from the past I used to love that stuff.

1 Like

Yeah most if not all Salumerias carry it.
It’s the big bottle that’s becoming extinct
Thanks though

They definitely used to have the big bottles! But maybe the bottles themselves are becoming a thing of the past.

I found adding some coffee to cola provides a similar experience. Make a super strong coffee (instant works well) and add it to cola. Worth a try!

Thanks but never could substitute I’m just that guy

Sharing, as this may be of interest…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfAhKAtDwAH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Sacrilegious

3 Likes

I do this a lot over the summer. I don’t bother with the lemon slice though.

1 Like

I’m a Gin & Tonic if any , never adulterate Manhattan Special, maybe over gelato or very rich ice cream. Maybe once a year with Brinleys coffee rum

1 Like

Ok, my wife is getting fairly tired of me saying; “but honey the Onion’s are depending on me”! (ok perhaps that’s exaggerated but you get the point) So I’m at Pastosa’s today picking up my dinner for tonight and decided on Burgers. (We are going to see how many pertinent threads I can cross post here lol so far I’m up to 3 or 4). So I decided to go with the chopped short rib and my wife did chicken/spinach burger.

She picked a brioche bun (@seal 2nd favorite buns, 1st being mine of course) and I went with the Jersey special unseeded Kaiser.
Topped with teriyaki and garlic sautéed onions - tequila flambé Italian long hot pepper, 3 cheese Mexican mix and lettuce with spicy sriracha Mayo.

Dam good burger but honestly 3/4 of the way thru I failed at my man vs food challenge and food won! The pepper AND sriracha were just too much, head drenched with sweat I thru in the towel.

No onto my direct response to @Ragtopssk who is asking himself; “why the f’ did he respond to me with this “ it’s because I got this;

What is this tomfoolery?!?!?! Unfortunately this happened after sitting for 20 mins! I still liked the taste but the fake sugar after taste got to me after a few swigs!

Onto dinner:

They say place an ice cube for a moist burger, I was low on ice!

3 Likes

You know why that happened… because decaf & sugar free Manhattan Special is an ABOMINATION lol it’s the long dead founder striking out. LOL Anyway what’s up with putting ice cube on a burger? Butter, Cheddar cheese or my choice tonight was Peter Luger sauce…

2 Likes

So much for moral support I guess. I see how it is with you Steve, ice runs thru those viens!

2 Likes

No man I wanna support you but you gotta up your MS game with that weak decaf sugar free stuff it almost sacrilegious to call it Manhattan Special.If you don’t get a sugar rush or a caffeine buzz why bother. I am here for ya no matter brother.

1 Like