What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Dinner was a lamb ragout over egg noodles & wine. Tonight will possibly be the same, if not the def tomorrow night. There’s an abundance of it.

6 Likes

Creamy Greek dressing: Half and half mayo and buttermilk, minced garlic, lots of dried oregano, feta cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.

4 Likes

Thanks!

i’m dying to go try that place, next time I’m in L.A… those look great. love the idea of the nut-based salsa.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

3 Likes

Oops! I was trying to edit my post but hit ‘delete’ by mistake, and there is no ‘undo’ button? (smh!)

Retyping. This is a ‘my turn to cook’ night. I made a riff on chaat, loosely based on this Nick Sharma recipe that he calls salad.

I made many changes: kala chana instead of lentils, cooked the chana w/ onions and spices, broccoli and summer squash roasted on the stove top because no cauliflower, beaten yogurt, tamarind and mint chutneys, various crunchy toppings.

Turned out pretty good.

Also Dog1 and Dog2 vigilantly supervising their dinner prep.

22 Likes

Pretty good salsa and easy to make, the almonds I think gave it a bit of a creamy consistency, and there was a lot of tanginess from the tomatillos.

I found the recipe online here too.

4 Likes

A beautiful early summer night in Jersey (actually yesterday) was screaming for some outdoor cooking. I put together some kabobs of chicken and steak as well as a grilled eggplant salad and a side of yellow rice.

24 Likes

Cute pups! They look quite hopeful!!

2 Likes

Were the supervisors successful in getting a treat?

3 Likes

Our frequent meal guests all know about my little hobby here :joy:

5 Likes

That is calling to me!

1 Like

That sounds so good. Love the variation. So chaat doesn’t necessarily have to have chaat masala sprinkled over it?

It’s not hope so much as they are masters of mind control through the look.

8 Likes

They got their dinner :smile:
They never fail to get food and treats, but they still have to stare intensely at us each mealtime.

5 Likes

It usually does. I sprinkled some other spices (IIRC toasted cumin, red chilli powder, sumac instead of amchoor, black salt) instead. The main ingredients (chana, paneer, vegetables) were spiced quite simply, so chaat masala would definitely have worked here.

(There was paneer cubes in the dish too. Edit window on original post has lapsed.)

2 Likes

Last night I made mapo tofu (again) with ground pork, mushrooms, celery, and lots of chilies. My stomach was grumpy this morning but #worthit. With Mala cumin-sesame asparagus and steamed rice, and Taiwanese scallion pancake.

19 Likes

What do you think of this book? I love the pictures and their narrative but I haven’t actually cooked that much from it. Any recommendations?

Tonkatsu, cauli rice with egg, green onion and furikake. Red cabbage slaw, carrot, snap peas, daikon, rice vinegar, oo, red curry paste dressing.

16 Likes

Pan-roasted Kurobuta pork chops. McCain frozen fries (inspired by the French fry thread). Garden greens in vinaigrette. Homemade apple and cherry sauces.

21 Likes