What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

15 Likes

“Date Night Crab Risotto”, adapted from At Home In The Kitchen, by David Kinch. My additions were toasted garlic, peas, and Fresno chiles. Delicious end to the work week!

21 Likes

Date Night Crab Risotto

That looks so delicious!

4 Likes

Thank you! It has become a household favorite :slight_smile:

I really LOVE long 5 day holiday weekends.

I really HATE trying to playing catch-up during the remaining 3 workdays.

Killer Fridays are Just. Not Fun.

I went as easy on myself as I could for my late dinner: Gorton’s fish filet sandwich with a remoulade of mayo, seafood cocktail sauce, and additional horseradish, topped with lettuce on a lightly toasted TJs brioche roll, with Lamb-Weston crinkle cut fries alongside with Heinz Simply Ketchup.

You can be damn sure there was wine.

24 Likes

Sometimes you just need “American-Chinese” from and old school joint. That hit the spot!

The classic

Eggplant stuffed with shrimp in a black bean sauce over brown not fried rice. ( although I love fried rice this is better for me……sigh )

Chicken in garlic sauce
Uploading: 10D48CDB-DAB3-46FB-9D9E-9835A3ABB0B8.jpeg…

18 Likes

Homemade pappardelle cooked al dente, browned butter and a bit of parmesan. Cucumber salad. Fruit for dessert. Everything disappeared even though no one was particularly hungry. Egg pasta: it’s what for dinner when you want inexpensive and satisfying.

12 Likes

Scallion roasted chicken over potatoes. A little bit Cook’s Illustrated High Roast Chicken (March-April 2000), and a little bit NYT Chicken With Green Garlic Potatoes.

Served with salad greens in vinaigrette.

Scallions and lettuces from the garden.

20 Likes

Grilled chicken marinated in a spicy Korean barbecue sauce and fried basmati rice with garlic, broccoli, gochugaru, and an egg. Butter instead of oil makes all the difference.

23 Likes

15 Likes

I would gobble that up Linda

Wow Junior. Cdc and I did chinese too but take out tonight. Vegetable moo shoo for cdc with a little extra container of hoi shin sauce. He loves having two containers to play with. Everything fried rice, a large container where I am forced to eat all the shrimp because cdc does not care for them. It is late here but about to crack open the won ton soup for a relaxing and soothing late night snack. I remember getting poo poo appetizers for two a long time ago. And I remember Pee Wee joking about poo poo platters on Pee Wee’s playhouse. #tequila

5 Likes

WANT. Deets on the crab please?

1 Like

That crab risotto!!! Lucky date :wink:

2 Likes

He knows it!

2 Likes

Standard risotto method using 3 parts stock to 1 part rice to .5 part wine. I changed up the recipe as written in the book by using shallots instead of the white onion called for and adding a bay leaf while it was cooking. I also held back about 2 T. of the wine it was to be cooked with to throw in raw at the end. Peas were added in the last 5 minutes of cooking (not in the recipe). 8 oz. of crab is folded in at this point. Recipe calls for mounting it with 1 T. mascarpone at the end; I used 2. I also made a garnish of another 8 oz. of crab meat that was warmed in a mix of olive oil and butter, in which I had toasted garlic and Fresno chiles. That was heaped on top after the risotto was ladled into the bowls. The crab I used is Peekytoe, which is local to us in New England and comes ready picked (by hand) and generally checked over well for shells before distribution (I still check myself though).

10 Likes

We weren’t feeling like a big meal. I knew I wanted a big-ass salad, tho, plus X.

I tried my hand at manzo tonnato (for lack of veal), and thought it came out quite well. We also had the leftovers from our antipasti lunch, and a boring shrimp salad with dill sauce I purchased on a whim. Aperol Spritz with :slight_smile:

15 Likes

That Sammy looks perfect.

1 Like

In the fried rice, you mean?

1 Like

We brought a Mediterranean mixed grill dinner our to our friends’ place: chicken kofte kebabs, pickled red onions, diced tomato, Halal cart sauce (Serious Eats recipe minus parsley, plus turmeric), za’atar spiced grilled baby zucchini, beef sausages, steamed buttered broccoli with smoked salt, naan, and harissa. They made fruit salad with whipped cream for dessert.

We also brought a white and a red:

17 Likes