What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

BF’s fridge-clean-out dinner - meatballs and daikon in gravy, mashed taters. Tasty.

18 Likes

I cooked up an Indian feast tonight using some items we picked up at Patel Brothers yesterday. There was curry chicken using diced boneless skinless thighs in “Mother’s” spice mix (much better than jarred simmer sauce), Bhel Puri, Madras Lentils, basmati rice, and garlic naan. As an appetizer, I heated up Papadum directly on the flame, accompanied by two chutneys.

There was a G & T.

20 Likes

Shrimp Mark Bitttman’s way ( roasted with, paprika, cumin, pepper flakes)

And roasted cauliflower

in a Tori Avey inspired Italian salad ( but with pine nuts and golden raisins)

20 Likes

King Boletus from Mt Shasta. Was gifted in return from the 4 year old aged Parmigianino reggiono I gave . This is a sign . My ship might be uprighting after months of dealing with a squatter . This is a very good day . Cheers. Of course simply cooked in butter and a little olive oil sliced thinly
Lightly salted . Skirt steak and baked beans will be the sides .

20 Likes

Greetings, people.

The last two days were spent dining in Victoria BC. Our favorite picks from this latest trip were:

Floyds Diner on Menzies street – great breakfast
assortment of eggs benny and friendly, fast service.

The Fish Store at Fisherman’s Wharf – tasty
BC halibut fish tacos and fish-and-chips.

The outdoor patio at the Q BarEmpress Fairmont for
appetizers and wine – tasty bits, reasonable in price for an upscale treat with
an incredible view and vibe in the heart of downtown Victoria.

Back at home tonight, where it was more bar food to end a celebratory cake week. Cheddar and pickled-scallion nachos, loosely based on the New York Times recipe for Original Nachos. I didn’t have any pickled peppers, so used home-packed onions. Served up with salsa verde, guac, homemade refries and a pico de gallo. Margaritas from scratch with Casa Noble and Contreau for the Cake Girl.

19 Likes

Tonight, to the rest of the salad, we added our favorite topping mixture which has dried cranberries, pepitas and glazed pecans. The ice-cold-from-fridge grilled cheese croutons weren’t nearly as good day 2; much better fresh and still slightly warm. If I make this large a salad again I’ll store the extra before adding croutons and grill a 2nd round of sandwich/croutons for the repeat.

7 Likes

A pom/orange polama on the deck with Julia filling the air with fragrance.

Shrimp tacos, with red cabbage, cilantro, oo/lime juice slaw and chipotle tarter sauce. French vanilla ice cream, strawberries macerated in orange liqueur and orange zest was dessert.

23 Likes

It’s time to nominate a new COTQ!

2 Likes

i don’t think you meant to direct this as a reply to my post but HOLY CRAP - THAT SHROOM!! Looks amazing!

4 Likes

Yep . I’m a lazy poster.

Not much appetite today after I logged on this morning. Finally the summer heat has arrived encouraging fire flies day lillies and soon more black raspberries. To avoid doom scrollng I took Harley out in the late afternoon for a brief walk. I lost control of the car and it drove itself to Yum Yum donuts. Remind me never to get iced tea there those dam yankees. No presweetened tea so they put one pump of sugar in my tea. Blech. Lots of ice cubes and even iced water for my dog. One large cinnamon roll and a box of six donuts: sugar donut, jelly donut, cream delight, chocolate thunder and two iced yeast raised donuts one chocolate and one vanilla. Had fun when they asked if I wanted sprinkles. One of the only times I smiled today. I made the cross sign with my fingers and proclaimed that sprinkles were evil. The crew thought it was funny. I am not eating all those donuts myself but I was afraid I would not eat today. Parked in the shade and gave Harley water and stuffed down half a donut. Looks like the dive bar next to the donut place is going to reopen. As I was putting Harley back in the car, but before I could actually do so a youngish middle aged man emerged from the soon to be bar. With an off leash dog about twice harley’s size. Route 309 is like five yards away and alive with traffic. I got so lucky. The other dog was well trained but my little psycho was sure she could take him. They told me not to walk her around other dogs when I got her from the spca. Harley went into her frenzy and barked her head off. Then a miracle happened. Yelling politely over her snarls (is that even possible?) I convinced the man to change his plans and re enter the bar for like two minutes. I was dressed like a daydream in a beautiful blue summer frock so I have no idea if that helped. But he did it! I have never ever had a man do that for me. Remember that I am near Philly. Home of the maniac sports fans. I want to crawl under my bed and eat all the donuts now. https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KIbNBhurZiWHEAujdXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LXMEZnIyA3NhLWdwLXNlYXJjaARncHJpZAMyM0FNUVFPN1IzU284MlBVYTNmY0ZBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDNARwcXN0cgNZdW0tWXVtIERvbnV0cwRwcXN0cmwDMTQEcXN0cmwDMjQEcXVlcnkDeXVtJTIweXVtJTIwZG9udXRzJTIwY29sbWFyJTIwcGEEdF9zdG1wAzE2NTYxNDI0NjgEdXNlX2Nhc2UD?p=yum+yum+donuts+colmar+pa&fr2=sa-gp-search&fr=yfp-t-s&fp=1

2 Likes

Sliced thinly? Looks to me like you sautéed them whole. I love king oyster shrooms grilled, but I usually slice them to get more caramelization on them :slight_smile:

The glazed pecans also sound like a delicious addition.

1 Like

No .the picture is before cooking.

1 Like

So you put the oil & seasonings on first, then slice? Interesting approach!

Dinner last night:

Strawberry chutney- https://archanaskitchen.com/sweet-and-spicy-strawberry-chutney

Garlic chive chutney - https://m.recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/garlic-chives-chutney/rs58855243.cms

Apple Sabzi - https://seriouseats.com/apple-sabzi-indian-vegetarian-side-recipe

Sheet Pan Paneer and Sweet Potato with Cashews, Cumin, and Fennel Seeds - improvised. I tossed the sweet potato and paneer with some mustard oil, salt, pepper, whole cumin and fennel seeds. They were roasted at 400F for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. In the last 3 minutes, I sprinkled over the cashews, so they could toast too.

We had pita bread to go with, because I ran out of gas before making bread.

12 Likes

I did .This time .It worked well .

1 Like

The last meal kit for a few weeks - Berbere pork cutlets, lemony bulgur with feta and mint, sauteed zucchini, and a garlicky sauce.

15 Likes

Reminds me to buy a head of cauliflower. Love it roasted

1 Like

I am officially retired after working 41 years for the same company :partying_face: To start off my 3 day celebration we enjoyed an excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ, including whole grilled sea bream; filet mignon; duck confit salad; arugula salad; lobster crepes; and crispy homemade Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Spanish Priorat and cabernet.

28 Likes