What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Last night we made another meal kit and fortunately, it was much better. This was baharat-dusted b/s chicken breast roasted alongside chickpeas and grape tomatoes (we added onion and CSA zucchini). A lemon-garlic citronette, mint, and Greek feta were added before serving.

19 Likes

Last night had a nice dinner, but wish I had made cornbread to go with the meal. Oh well. And as pistachiopeas stated, “want to use up things we have rather than….” Purchased potato salad, IP Pinto beans, sauteed hamburger patty, green onions, cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices.

17 Likes

Not in the mood to cook, but I had the pork chop defrosted. So I made a quick pork stir fry with broccoli, carrots, red bell peppers and onions.

Velveted the strips of pork, then quick cooked them in hot oil. Removed the pork, and added more oil and the veg, sauteed for 3 minutes, tossed in some grated ginger and minced garlic, then a sauce blend of dry sherry, orange juice, soy sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil, and brown sugar.

Returned the pork to the pan, added a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce, and served it over Basmati rice.

Yeah. I had a glass of wine. The day needed it.

21 Likes

Dinner tonight is Brown Rice Congee with Shiitakes and Greens from https://thekitchn.com/recipe-brown-rice-congee-with-shiitake-mushrooms-and-greens-recipes-from-the-kitchn-185837#post-recipe-11901 with pickled cucumbers from Woks of Life - https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-pickled-cucumbers/.
I also marinated roasted white turnips and kohlrabi in the same pickling liquid for a couple days in the fridge. I was really pleased with how those turned out!

16 Likes

Where’s the location of this place? Interesting your guest order some ’ luncheon Dim Sum ’ with your supper?!
BTW, here are some photos of our ’ Toronto Version ’ of some of your dishes!

15 Likes

Berlin. He was curious about the quality of their dim sum besides the Cantonese dishes.

2 Likes

Lamb chops with the last of last year’s garlic scape pesto from the freezer. Just in time to make room for this year’s batch - my garlic crop failed so I ordered scapes from an organic garlic farm. They happened to have a 10 pound minimum, so there is going to be a LOT of garlic scape pesto in my future! Sautéed Brussels sprouts with toasted almonds and lemon on the side.

21 Likes

91 degrees yesterday, mid eighties today, frosty, fizzy g&t weather. I’ve been eating a lot of salads, tonight Spicy Thai Pork Tenderloin salad. It’s a keeper. And ice cream.

20 Likes

Everything looks great! What brand/flavor of ice cream is that? It looks like one of my favorite flavors - Burgundy Cherry.

2 Likes

Sorry about the day but dinner looks delicious.

Might be getting this for a late lunch early dinner tomorrow: https://www.facebook.com/JessesBarbecue/photos/a.1727684310592239/5838152992878663 from the mennonite bbq but they run out faast

Great meal for not being in the mood . I haven’t been in the cooking mood for two months . Of all the shit I’m going through. I’m basically eating scraps of the wagon train.

1 Like

Berlin!! Wow! That brought back some really fond memories!!
Years ago, during a visit there, I had ’ the best tasting Chicken Liver ever ’ at a Chicken specialty restaurant. Served in a sizzling hot, cast iron pan. Sweet. mildly tangy, sticky glaze, perfectly cooked pink! Skin gave out ‘pop’ when bitten into it like a German sausage! Yummmm!

3 Likes

Thank you and it is, except Umpqua calls it Bordeaux Cherry.

3 Likes

I made some telera rolls today using this recipe:

Which came out a little smaller than I expected.

Used one to make a torta árabe with onion, cheese, and beans. With more of the beans on the side and broccolini.

21 Likes

Those rolls! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

4 Likes

Looks so good!

1 Like

Hate it when something steals cooking mojo. Miss your posts.

3 Likes

No pics but yesterday I made crispy shrimp tacos with spicy creamy Sriracha/chipotle sauce, lemony cabbage slaw, and diced tomatoes. I also braised the remainder of the cabbage head in chicken-poblano broth, butter, and bay leaf for a second side. I actually made this for the fam as I had antipasti and cocktails out.

10 Likes

UGH - I hope you get off that wagon train of scraps and are doing enough better to want to cook soon!

1 Like