What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

So you put the oil & seasonings on first, then slice? Interesting approach!

Dinner last night:

Strawberry chutney- https://archanaskitchen.com/sweet-and-spicy-strawberry-chutney

Garlic chive chutney - https://m.recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/garlic-chives-chutney/rs58855243.cms

Apple Sabzi - https://seriouseats.com/apple-sabzi-indian-vegetarian-side-recipe

Sheet Pan Paneer and Sweet Potato with Cashews, Cumin, and Fennel Seeds - improvised. I tossed the sweet potato and paneer with some mustard oil, salt, pepper, whole cumin and fennel seeds. They were roasted at 400F for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. In the last 3 minutes, I sprinkled over the cashews, so they could toast too.

We had pita bread to go with, because I ran out of gas before making bread.

12 Likes

I did .This time .It worked well .

1 Like

The last meal kit for a few weeks - Berbere pork cutlets, lemony bulgur with feta and mint, sauteed zucchini, and a garlicky sauce.

15 Likes

Reminds me to buy a head of cauliflower. Love it roasted

1 Like

I am officially retired after working 41 years for the same company :partying_face: To start off my 3 day celebration we enjoyed an excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ, including whole grilled sea bream; filet mignon; duck confit salad; arugula salad; lobster crepes; and crispy homemade Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Spanish Priorat and cabernet.

28 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your retirement! Looks like you’ve enjoyed wonderful meals to launch your next phase of life.

It will be fun to look back at this time years from now (speaking from experience, here). In our family 3 out of 4 “failed” retirement and went back to part-time paid work in another field for a few years, finding their new work interesting and fulfilling.

3 Likes

Congrats @paryzer on the big news. Hell of a good looking meal to start off with

2 Likes

41 years is quite a run. Congrats! :partying_face:

1 Like

Congratulations, and keep busy!

1 Like

Congratulations, and what a perfect celebratory retirement meal! :tada::clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I appreciate it.
I have no plans to return to work :slightly_smiling_face: 41 years is long enough. Thankfully I invested in my company’s 401K Plan at the beginning of my career (which they matched up to 6%). That will certainly help supplement my Social Security check.

8 Likes

Happy retirement, Mrs. P looks gorgeous, you too.

1 Like

4 Likes

Eataly items via Instacart - heirloom tomato, burrata, semolina loaf. Salami, hot cherry peppers, and parsley from our fridge. Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing IPA for him and Whispering Angel rosé for me!

17 Likes

Would like to make a friendly suggestion!

I understand, from the title, this thread is on its 82nd iteration. However, it still gives me the impression that the title suggests its for ’ Dining Out Meals ’ as well…which I do not believe it was the original intention?!
May I suggest that for the upcoming #83 edition and beyond, one should insert " ( Home Cooking ) " behind ’ What’s for dinner '. Otherwise, there are people like me who spend time posting their ’ Dining experiences and meal ’ here rather than a separate stand-alone post…or is this ‘dual posting’ also acceptable?!

4 Likes

Haircut and errand day included my local Penzeys and Wegmans (but of course!)

So dry sea scallops were on the menu, with leftover Basmati rice and a freshly made mango salsa (diced mango with minced red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, parsley, and fresh lime juice). Steamed and buttered green beans alongside with a glass of wine.

19 Likes

@THECHARLES , I believe what a lot of people do who are dining out is post on their specific board for their locals, and then post a permalink of that post here on WFD or copy and paste the text and pics if they want to do so.

The WFD thread has always been very loose in its origin of where dinner was eaten (we’re less strict on HO than CH used to be), but since it’s on a “Home Cooking” board, it makes sense to post local and link it or copy it here, if you’re of a mind to do so. Eli @paryzer is very generous with his dual posts of eating out, as he takes lots of pictures and shares in both places. It’s mostly up to you, IMO.

5 Likes

“post a permalink of that post here on WFD”…?? How does one do that? Sorry to ask, but I’m not that computer savvy!