What's For Dinner #82 - June 2022 - the Scary Campfire Stories and Sticky S'Mores Month

Isn’t that normally just a vehicle to eat tons of garlic butter (and I thought you hate butter) ?

Baked chicken breast, tater tots, epic wedge salad to use up some CSA veg and fridge stuff (although we were out of blue cheese).

17 Likes

Braised beef & daikon, as promised, from Woks of Life. Not exactly 91 degree (at dinnertime) weather fare, but it was good. BF sauteed the last of the gai lan on the side to go with.

19 Likes

Inspired by a post from @gcaggiano: NY strip steak on the grill with homemade potato chips and roasted broccolini from the garden.

Kudos to DH for the chips.

21 Likes

Looks wonderful! I made a NY Strip tonight too!

2 Likes

Back from from a weekend away I didn’t really want to be away for… took the subway an extra stop with my carry on so I could go to the grocery store on the way home and pick up something easy for dinner like dumplings.

But… turns out I’m craving home cooking, so I bought chicken and potatoes and made one of our basic home chicken curries instead.

Roasted cauliflower while the chicken cooked.

Happy to be home, and stay home for a litte while!

27 Likes

not the way these critters were prepared.

How did you prepare them ?

Well here you go @MunchkinRedux:

I’ve made a lot of stir-fry and Asian dishes in the last week, so tonight I was craving a steak: my go-to peppercorn encrusted NY Strip with a baked potato and string beans sautéed with butter, garlic, and crushed red pepper. I also picked up a bottle of Peter Luger’s steak sauce for dipping and it truly is worth the hype.

There was a G & T or two…

21 Likes

Lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime, and a healthy does of white wine.

3 Likes

I think Makrut is the preferred term now.

7 Likes

Last night we made another meal kit and fortunately, it was much better. This was baharat-dusted b/s chicken breast roasted alongside chickpeas and grape tomatoes (we added onion and CSA zucchini). A lemon-garlic citronette, mint, and Greek feta were added before serving.

19 Likes

Last night had a nice dinner, but wish I had made cornbread to go with the meal. Oh well. And as pistachiopeas stated, “want to use up things we have rather than….” Purchased potato salad, IP Pinto beans, sauteed hamburger patty, green onions, cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices.

17 Likes

Not in the mood to cook, but I had the pork chop defrosted. So I made a quick pork stir fry with broccoli, carrots, red bell peppers and onions.

Velveted the strips of pork, then quick cooked them in hot oil. Removed the pork, and added more oil and the veg, sauteed for 3 minutes, tossed in some grated ginger and minced garlic, then a sauce blend of dry sherry, orange juice, soy sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil, and brown sugar.

Returned the pork to the pan, added a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce, and served it over Basmati rice.

Yeah. I had a glass of wine. The day needed it.

21 Likes

Dinner tonight is Brown Rice Congee with Shiitakes and Greens from https://thekitchn.com/recipe-brown-rice-congee-with-shiitake-mushrooms-and-greens-recipes-from-the-kitchn-185837#post-recipe-11901 with pickled cucumbers from Woks of Life - https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-pickled-cucumbers/.
I also marinated roasted white turnips and kohlrabi in the same pickling liquid for a couple days in the fridge. I was really pleased with how those turned out!

16 Likes

Where’s the location of this place? Interesting your guest order some ’ luncheon Dim Sum ’ with your supper?!
BTW, here are some photos of our ’ Toronto Version ’ of some of your dishes!

15 Likes

Berlin. He was curious about the quality of their dim sum besides the Cantonese dishes.

2 Likes

Lamb chops with the last of last year’s garlic scape pesto from the freezer. Just in time to make room for this year’s batch - my garlic crop failed so I ordered scapes from an organic garlic farm. They happened to have a 10 pound minimum, so there is going to be a LOT of garlic scape pesto in my future! Sautéed Brussels sprouts with toasted almonds and lemon on the side.

21 Likes

91 degrees yesterday, mid eighties today, frosty, fizzy g&t weather. I’ve been eating a lot of salads, tonight Spicy Thai Pork Tenderloin salad. It’s a keeper. And ice cream.

20 Likes

Everything looks great! What brand/flavor of ice cream is that? It looks like one of my favorite flavors - Burgundy Cherry.

2 Likes