What's for Dinner - #81 - the Planting Month - May 2022

I think mustard greens and white beans were a meant for each other. Saute the greens with some onion and garlic, add the beans, a splash of vinegar, some pepper flakes if you are so inclined. I do a similar treatment and make it into a dip, but I just blanch the mustard greens add to a food processor with beans, onion, garlic, lemon juice - I accidentally over cooked a batch of white beans and froze them in portions to use for just this purpose.

8 Likes

Nice amuse for something “not as pretty” as the last one. I love your photos @THECHARLES .

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was stirfried orange pepper, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. I seasoned it with garlic and too much dried basil. I forgot to pick up some fresh herbs while I was running errands after work. Fettuccine on the side.

16 Likes

Not formal… olive oil, then sliced garlic and a bit of red onion, when the garlic turned golden I removed it and added the broccoli to the hot pan, let it brown for a bit on one side, flipped / stirred, added a splash of water and the garlic / onion back, covered for a couple of minutes till bright green and crisp-tender. Salted before covering.

2 Likes

Very pretty!

1 Like

gorgeous and looks delish. i would gobble that down in a heartbeat.

I went all Prince Spaghetti Wednesday Night Annnntnny! North End-Boston last night and had spaghetti and sawce. Of course, as I tend to do, I made too much spaghetti. How to use it up that wasn’t red-saucy?

Something stir-fryish. But a little different.

This recipe worked. Five defrosted Argentinian pink shrimp, a handful of sugar snap peas, and dry sherry subbing for the mirin. And it was good.

There was wine.

20 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Thank you!
No pepper of any kind?

Onion, kale, corn & pasta. Feta on the table.

Chicken thighs with Greek seasoning.

Cinnamon twist, honey dipped and Apple fritter from Boxcar Donuts in London, Ontario

Last night’s Lobio. I added more dried Georgian herbs and fresh herbs tonight.

19 Likes

I love mustard greens and use them in the place of broccoli rabe…soy sausage rabe/mustard green pasta (with lots of garlic, crushed red chili, and lemon). Or a riff on the Allison Roman spicy rabe/mustard green soup with chickpeas. And I often make a big mustard green miso soup with cubed tofu for a week of breakfasts (as I did last week).

10 Likes

Nice coloration!! Yours looked better and more appetizing!!

2 Likes

Quiche with roasted asparagus, bacon and gruyere. Store-bought crust. Will serve with a garden salad.

26 Likes

Beautiful!

3 Likes

A long time ago, when we lived in Acton in the 80’s, we used to go to the Prince Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner and eat in their basement grotto. Really cheap eats, and we would be serenaded by a violinist at our table . We usually gave him a tip just for him to go away! Oh, Solo Mio…

10 Likes

Thanks! Not sure why her picture didn’t have a deeper color…almost no color at all which seemed a bit odd with the sauce ingredients. I used a mix of dark soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, but white miso. So I’m assuming it was the dark soy sauce? I reduced the remaining sauce after removing the shrimp and veg, so it took on some thickness and a slightly deeper color as well. Not overpowering in taste, but a nice flavor.

2 Likes

Queso fundido with chorizo, with salsa Mexicana, avocado, and fresh corn tortillas.

19 Likes

This looks wonderful!

2 Likes

YES! That looks so good!

1 Like

Sunday’s dinner was lamb loin chops, marinated Greek style, and served with orzo cooked in lamb stock, topped with mizithra, also mixed steamed veg. A decent bottle of Ridge Cab Sauv to accompany. Mother’s Day dinner was rescheduled for this coming weekend, but it was also a milestone anniversary on Sunday - a quiet one. We will re-celebrate at a resto soon - didn’t want to go out on the busiest restaurant day of the year, nor on Monday the following day.

Last night was a really tasty, thick pork chop with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, and asparagus. I assure you it was delicious. Stuffed peppers on Tuesday night, but forgot to take a pic. It looked like a mess anyway.

20 Likes