What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

A little street dog at home — bacon wrapped sausages with bell peppers, onions, serranos. Served on with buns and the regular condiments.

24 Likes

Looks fantastic!

1 Like

Christina do you guys RV camp or tent? I’m always surprised at the length of your camping trips. We only ever go for a weekend. It’s no fun to sleep on the ground for more than 2 days …

Well thanks!

1 Like

We have a little A-frame pop-up and do our cooking on a campsite folding kitchen. Once we learned to have duplicates of whatever we need for camping (except for pillows and duvets) and keep the camper prepped, it was way easier to get out oftener and longer. Planning food and buying groceries are usually the most time-consuming parts. Not a fan of sleeping on the ground and the beds are at least passable.

6 Likes

Many of our friends do like you. They have some plastic bins in their garage that hold all the camping stuff, and when they go, they just chuck the entire bins into their trunk. Yes, food planning and packing is the most time consuming. Yes, sleeping on an actual bed, however worse than yours at home, would be better than sleeping on a leaky air mattress. I could last 3 or 4 nights in a camper too. Maybe one day…

2 Likes

Still had leftover lamb that I hadn’t yet tucked into the freezer. Still had mashed potatoes and gravy.

But I didn’t want that. So the remaining lamb was finely diced and used in Marcella Hazan’s Pasta with Abruzzi-Style Lamb Sauce. I meant to add some peas for color at the end, but I was hungry and said eff it.

Parm-Reg stood in for Pecorino Romano. And it was good.

22 Likes

Had a comfort food hankering so dinner was Shrimp in Black Bean Sauce from The Woks of Life or, as we in the Boston area would call it, Shrimp in Lobster Sauce. I guess Lobster Sauce is a white/light eggy sauce in Chinese American restaurants elsewhere in the country. Either way, this ground pork and fermented black bean sauce really hit the spot with these shrimp and some white rice. Have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow, too!

20 Likes

That sounds so good!

2 Likes

I made a bake of browned ground beef, roasted spaghetti squash, seasoned black beans, chipotle, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cilantro, cheddar and Colby jack cheeses, and a few dollops of cottage cheese. It was really comforting and good.

23 Likes

Chicken zoodle soup. Romaine salad with tomatoes, radish, snap peas, green onion with creamy Greek dressing. Warm buttery role and Gibsons.

17 Likes

Baked Vietnamese chicken thighs from Serious Eats. Steamed rice. An Asian-inspired cucumber salad.

An effortless recipe with promise. I dry-brined the chicken for two days in advance, and then marinated for an hour. I was looking for more kick, though, and would marinade longer next time.

26 Likes

Mussels and clams . I loved the way it came out . It’s always different.

![20220420_184145|393x700](upload://cQelaHtjI4QKfndySSPQL2iZ9xa.jpeg
The white beans I cooked yesterday was added.
Cheers .

24 Likes

I’ve made that recipe before and like it! I have started adding white pepper and fresh, hot chiles to the marinade sometimes in place of the hot chile paste (to taste for both) and find that it can up the zing with the still shorter marinade time. Just a thought.

Also, I’ve been using this thai chile paste and find it is also good in marinades and as a condiment - Maepranom Thai Chili Paste

2 Likes

Thank you! I totally recommend this recipe. Once all the stuff for the stir fry part is prepped, it comes together really easily. I also liked the step where I blanched the ground pork before the stir fry. I am going to keep it in mind for other recipes as it really helped with the flavor, I thought.

1 Like

I wonder if you might get more flavor by loosening the skin and rubbing the marinade underneath as well? It might just steam the skin, though. I bet it would be good on b/s thighs. I wish my family were more enthusiastic about fish sauce.

2 Likes

That poaching method reminds me of what I think of as a technique for “taco meat” or Cincinnati chili - where instead of browning ground meat you mash it into the cooking liquid and gently simmer, avoiding any clumps. It’s a good way to achieve a smooth sauce and emulsify the fat from the meat in your final dish (and keep it from completely rendering). I would be tempted to try it in the recipe you shared - skipping the poach and drain and cooking the pork in the sauce after stir-frying the aromatics. Maybe add a splash of water to keep the sauce from cooking down and getting too salty.

1 Like

I think that would certainly work. I think the reason the recipe gave for poaching separately was to keep the sauce from getting cloudy, but that’s personal preference.

1 Like

@ Amandarama

I’ll try a zippier chile element next time - thanks!

2 Likes

Swapped in fresh udon instead of spaghetti for a mentaiko udon. I think I like it this way better.

17 Likes