What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

I love Little Gems - I can buy them solo in the organic section at Kroger’s when I visit my mother in Ohio. They’re the perfect size for the 2 of us. Haven’t found them on Cape Cod.

4 Likes

Yesterday (Friday) was a day of fiddly food. It was one of ‘my’ days to cook (we worked out a rotation). I don’t commute much these days, so I had time and energy to make more laborious food yesterday.

There were besan ke cheele for breakfast.
Dinner was kati rolls.

For the filling I used Butler’s soy curls, soaked w/ veggie bouillon, turmeric, red chilli powder. Then coated in chickpea flour + rice flour + AP flour and spices and roasted on a very hot CI pan to get a char.
Also some grilled sliced onions and bell peppers and sliced tomatoes and lettuce. All these needed to be used up.

Wraps were TJ habanero lime tortillas. They looked red but were not very spicy, just a mild flavour.

To assemble, I heated one tortilla. While it was on the pan, I painted a stripe of green chutney down the middle, added the fillings, folded the bottom and sides to wrap, and glued these shut w/ a little cheese.

Dips were green chutney, tamarind chutney, yogurt.

Pretty good, if I say so myself, though they came out more flat than round.

23 Likes

You got it.

2 Likes

Welcome to getting older!

1 Like

Tons of errands done today.
Lots of stores visited.
Lots of purchases.
Including my every-five-weeks purchase of dry scallops from Wegmans for dinner.

A light lemon-tarragon white wine sauce drizzled on top of the scallops after a quick pan-sear in a bit of olive oil and butter, served on top of leftover herbed Basmati rice with a mixture of frozen peas and almost the last of the fresh corn from August 2021.

A sprinkle of fresh chives over all, and wine alongside.

26 Likes

Welp I had a hankering for a good steak (dear baby Jesus the price of steak these days!!) so I pay homage to my dear old favorite Peter Luger style steakhouse. My local butcher was out of porterhouse for the holidays but had a rib eye, I took it.
Sides include:
Mushrooms and onions a butter brandy reduction
Sautéed garlic broccoli
German home fried potatoes
Bernaise
Rib eye perfectly medium

Heaven! Beautiful night in Jersey! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

28 Likes

Your dinner looks AMAZING! I hope it was wonderful!

2 Likes

Our Stop & Shop on Cape Cod had a sale for Easter weekend on prime rib. I got a 6 lb. prime 4 rib roast for 5.99/lb. My other half is going to cook it on the Big Green Egg tomorrow for Easter. We’ve invited a neighbor to join us. We like a sauce made with sour cream, coarse grain Dijon mustard and horseradish with the beef. I’m making a cauliflower gratin, glazed carrots and asparagus mimosa to go with all of it. We’re going to eat it in the family room on tray tables while we watch the Celtics play the Nets…

17 Likes

That sounds fantastic! Enjoy!

1 Like

Enjoy Easter on the cape. One of my fav places ever. Absolutely love it in the off season! That sauce sounds fantastic as well

Also, is that an Aussie in your profile pic?

1 Like

It’s an easy, peasy sauce. I use Daisy light sour cream - then just add the grainy mustard and horseradish until it makes me happy. We’re still off-season here. Just the way I like, too!!

Yes - there are 2 Aussies in my profile pic. Grady is the black tri, and Xander is the blue-eyed devil (red merle). They are 4 and 3, respectively. Here is a more complete photo, just in case you’re into Australian Shepherds (we’ve been living with the breed for 23 years)

26 Likes

Love your dogs, and your dinner sounds awesome - enjoy! Happy Easter!

2 Likes

Thanks - hope you have a wonderful holiday, too!!

1 Like

Spicy, lemony chicken breasts with bread salad. I’ve made this recipe before. Quick and easy, it’s very flavorful (oregano, garlic, chili flakes, lemon). I think the trick of steaming the cutlets after they’ve been browned is a neat one, preventing the chicken pieces from drying out.

Little Gem and Drunken Woman Frizzy Headed lettuces from the garden.

18 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this substitution. I will try the recipe, for sure.

Mushrooms with butter and brandy, why have I never thought of that. And I love fried potatoes, what makes them German?

1 Like

Those who follow my social media know my last two months have been consumed by Titanic research for a series of lectures I’m giving on the 110th anniversary. I didn’t get a chance to do this on Thursday, but made up for it tonight.

Two days late, but here it is: a very small selection from The Last Dinner on the Titanic. The original First Class dining room service would have been 11 courses (each with its own glass of wine plus pre/post dinner cocktails and cordials!), but I don’t have a kitchen staff of 80! Any changes made to the recipes were out of necessity/unavailability, such as Shop Rite not having either roe or caviar (for the canapés), nor did they have pearl onions in any form (for the steak). So I used cocktail onions, which I rinsed off to remove the briny flavor. Everything else is exact.

1)“Canapés a l’Amiral”: a baguette topped with a garlic shrimp butter, a halved boiled shrimp tossed in lime juice, and parsley leaf. This was the most labor intensive item of the meal, due to making the butter. 2) “Roasted Sirloin of Beef Forestiere”: I never roasted a sirloin before and was tempted to just sear it, but I stayed true to the recipe. It was cooked all the way through but flavorful and fork-tender. The gravy consisted of bacon, mushrooms, red wine, beef stock, and herbs. It was amazing, the crisped bacon lardons made all the difference. I would make this on a normal night with mashed potatoes. 3) “Chateau Potatoes”: sautéed in butter and oil with rosemary (from our garden), then finished in the oven. 4) “Asparagus Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette”. This was just alright. Next time would just do Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce, which was served in the Titanic’s A La Carte Restaurant. All I can say after this meal is that I’m glad this was not a waste of time and THANK GOD FOR DISHWASHERS!

IMG_20220416_212950_727

IMG_20220416_212950_776

After the pre-dinner Champagne, I switched over to a French 75. When the bubbly ran out, I started on martinis. Feeling nice as of this posting.

And I want to say, since my study for these lectures became intimate and serious, this was more of a commemoration than a celebration. The Titanic has become larger than life, and when that happens, we lose the human element. Well, it is not lost on me.

32 Likes

Asian shrimp and bok choy soup. There was a miso broth with carrots, shallots, garlic, snap peas and mushrooms. Garnished with red chile, cilantro and a soft boiled egg. A side of pickled daikon radish and blistered shishitos.

18 Likes

I’m surprised and glad that the steaming doesn’t make the meat tough (always heard that warning). I’ll give this one a try, too.

1 Like

Just fabulous! The crostini and beef especially.

3 Likes