What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Yes, I love this dish and since I managed to grow my own dill here I was able to make it pretty easily. The hardest part is getting nice meaty fish fillets because often what’s available are small fish that are best left whole.

Conchiglie with Yogurt, Peas & Chile from Jerusalem (Ottolenghi and Tamimi).

I took many liberties with the recipe (different nuts, not enough peas, missing half the yogurt so subbed in half and half…etc…), but it still came out great! Lots of leftovers for BF to have lunch tomorrow, too.

19 Likes

I love this dish but I always make half because it feeds an army and sadly doesn’t reheat well.

2 Likes

I could have gotten away with half, but we need a few more leftovers to provide easy lunches, so it worked out this time. BF is planning on eating it cold like a pasta salad.

2 Likes

I also made an Ottolenghi recipe for dinner but completely forgot to photograph it. It’s his crushed lentils with tomatoes and tahini from Plenty More. I always use regular brown lentils because I can’t get Puy or Pardina lentils here but even if I could, when they’re served crushed there’s no need to get lentils that are known for keeping their shape. Brown lentils work great for this dish.
Served with the hard-boiled eggs as he calls for and my go-to naan because it cooks up great on stovetop and I tend to make it whenever I have buttermilk or yogurt (mostly I have kefir now) in my fridge. It’s such a satisfying dish when you put it all together!

21 Likes

Made a veal Dillkött, a Swedish stew with dill. We liked it, I’ll make it again.

I cobbled some recipes together, using veal stew meat, a leek, a carrot , celery, mushrooms, some potatoes, bay, white wine, dried thyme, parsley and dill. Sometimes no potatoes are added and it’s served over egg noodles, some recipes it’s boiled. I braised this in a slow oven.

17 Likes

I used my usual dinner prep time during the work day to make my first-ever pate de foie gras, so dinner will be prep-free bacon and eggs. For the pate, I loosely followed a couple of online sous vide recipes - I had a whole liver that was about 800g after deveining, so I seasoned with 12g kosher salt, 1g pink salt and 2g white pepper, plus 1/4 cup ice wine (in lieu of the traditional armagnac, cognac and/or sauternes). Pressed into a terrine and vacuum sealed, then cooked for one hour at 134.6F. It only exuded about 1/2 cup of fat, much less than I was expecting. I pressed it for about 20 mins and then poured some of the fat over the top to seal, leaving the rest for general cooking. The fat tastes fantastic - hopefully the terrine itself will be equally delicious! Will let it rest in the fridge for a few days and bust it out on Saturday for a pre-Easter celebration with friends.

12 Likes

A couple recent dinners after returning home from an extended stay out of state. Not a vacation, but providing care and support for my dad post surgery. All ok now, and a good catch up with other family too!
Pastichio sent home with us by my awesome SIL, along with a salad, and the next night a dive into a bowl of Moroccan Harira, which was a bowl full of comfort, that resulted from a freezer clean out, in which a bunch of meaty lamb bones got turned into a hearty stock. One of my fav soups ever.

23 Likes

Dinner was leftover 15 Bean Soup from the freezer. I added some garden greens to freshen it up. Toasted stirato for dunking.

Bonus photo in the slideshow of today’s hot-smoke project. My 94-y.o. father doesn’t choose to eat a whole lot of variety, but he likes pepperoni snack sticks. Here’s a 5 lb. batch coming out of the smoker. All pork with natural casings. We vacuum-pack it into small lots for him, and he keeps it in his freezer.

24 Likes

Inspired by rajas, WFD was a roasted poblano and fresh mozzarella clafoutis. I made concessions in form and ingredients, as my peeps dislike scrambled eggs, cream, and cream cheese. Well, they didn’t love this either, sadly. I thought it was great but I love all quiche-like things. Served with warm corn tortillas and avocado.

22 Likes

We love roasted veggies, especially if they get a little scorched + turkey meatloaf, not our fave but ok…

25 Likes

Coq au vin avec pommes purée aka mashed taters.

26 Likes

A bits and bobs soup, I have way too many small containers in my freezer. Irish O’Garlic Sausage, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, beef broth, cattle beans, and tomato and yellow pepper bruschetta topping. Salad of mixed green, onion, tomato, avocado, mushrooms, creamy Greek dressing. Warm seeded sourdough roll saturated in butter.

23 Likes

Looks delicious. That roll! Saturated in butter. Bliss.

1 Like

Dang it! Sorry that was meant for another member. Oops. That was brilliant advice, glad it worked. When I was doing my tithe at the daycare I had a student named Johnnie who could be hard to reach. He was stubborn and refused to eat his lunch. I insisted that the food be placed in front of him anyway. Two teachers, 25 children pre kiindergarten. I am not sure how well it worked for Johnny though. The next year he was in kindergarten and I was in charge of the after school program. One day the teacher for kindergarten called in sick so the director had me watch the kids I had known all last year. There was an inspection and the lady visiting pointed to Johnny and said why does this child not have any lunch? I went storming out to the kitchen and grabbed hm some lunch. The cook said because Johnny never ate it would be wasting food. Gah. I didn’t say much but I could feel my hands tightening into fists. #deepbreaths

4 Likes

Yum. I cannot be trusted to make refried beans because I add way too much bacon fat to mine. Love them that way but too heavy for me.

Looks tempting. What kind of gin?

1 Like

Was staring at wagyu hamburger at Costco today. Is it really extra good I guess? Cdc likes an 80/20 ground and my favorite is ground bison.

1 Like

@ wholetthedogsout

We like the wagyu in a burger, but use ground chuck for any other application of ground beef.

Other than the wagyu, we generally don’t purchase ground meat, preferring to grind our own.

2 Likes

I like Costco’s wagyu but I find it a little greasy/pasty in texture on its own. I mix it half and half with their organic ground beef for burgers, meatballs, etc. It’s also a nice complement to lean ground lamb. Like @MunchkinRedux, I only use it in “solid” preparations - if I am making something with crumbled ground beef I prefer to grind my own or just use the Costco organic by itself.

2 Likes