What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Crispy baked fish (haddock) with tartar sauce (NYT) and olive oil and lemon roasted broccoli. Tasty.

25 Likes

I say this every year: Why do I wait to do my taxes? :woman_shrugging: Oh well, they’re done.

Quick dinner: orange and ginger pork stir fry with carrots, green beans, onion and red bell pepper over Basmati rice.

Wine.

24 Likes

I (loosely) adapted this Penang curry from Hot Thai Kitchen to make dinner tonight - https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/nts-panang-beef/

I thinly sliced some chicken breast and marinated it in some Golden Mountain sauce, neutral oil, ginger, garlic, and white pepper. Meanwhile, I doctored 3 T. of Mae Ploy red curry paste with a heaped teaspoon of shrimp paste, a teaspoon or two each of cumin and coriander seeds (toasted and ground), 2 T. creamy peanut butter, a heaped teaspoon of Thai chile paste, and a couple teaspoons of lemongrass paste. When it was time to cook, I cooked the chicken in some oil until it was about 1/2 way done and removed it from the pan. Then I stir fried some shiitakes, slivered jalapenos that needed to get used up, green onion, and the stems from some cilantro. When done, I removed those from the pan, added some more oil, and cooked the curry paste until it darkened and the oil separated back out from it. Then I added a package of Grace powdered coconut milk and 2/3 c. water and whisked everything until smooth. The chicken and vegetables were added back in, along with some basil, toasted peanuts, toasted coconut, and cilantro leaves. We had it over jasmine rice. Leftovers are my lunch for tomorrow!

24 Likes

I was planning to make qeema for dinner, but I got lazy, so I improvised something with the ground beef and lamb I thawed. I cooked it with onions and garlic until crispy, seasoned with cumin and sambal oelek, and stirred in toasted pistachios and thawed frozen methi leaves. Topped with lime yogurt sauce. Kind of weird, but kind of good, too!

22 Likes

Roasted pork tenderloin with a mole sauce, cheesy cauliflower and poblanos. Mango, jicama, avocado, red pepper and red onion salad with a squeeze of lime juice.

22 Likes

Pan-roasted chicken thighs with bread salad, inspired by Zuni Café.

Thighs roasted in a cast iron skillet, with cubes of homemade bread tucked in during the last few minutes to brown. Garden greens tossed with dried currants in a schmaltzy vinaigrette, with toasted pine nuts for garnish.

24 Likes

Vietnamese Caramel Pork, cooked low and slow today, with extra Thai bird chilies. Marinated thin-sliced cuke and tomato on the side, over jasmine rice. The pork was A-plus!

32 Likes

Looks delicious and your bowls are beautiful!

3 Likes

IMG_1868

We are approaching prime spring produce time and I am THERE for it. Clams on the half shell with fresh horseradish in the cocktail sauce (happy Pesach, y’all!! I’m ready), steamed clams and artichokes with green garlic, mache salad with pears, walnuts and parm, and the best vinaigrette I’ve ever made and damned if I know why.

23 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at the Poached Pear Bistro in Point Pleasant Beach , NJ, including rack of lamb; corvina with shrimp in a lemon butter sauce and parmigiana risotto; crispy Cajun seasoned calamari; mushroom fricassee; fried asparagus. It all went great with an excellent Priorat and red zinfandel.

13 Likes

Those colors! Deets on the wine please?

Duck ragu with pasta (duck ragu made from duck legs braised with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, lots of anchovies, tomato paste, red wine, red wine vinegar, juniper berries and chicken broth)

22 Likes

thank you! I think they’re from Target! We actually found them in the lobby of our building (where a lot of people leave things they don’t want so someone else can claim them.)

4 Likes

Salad with this week’s roasted cauliflower and pork chop, and last week’s arugula, radichio, raisins, pine nuts, etc.

21 Likes

Thank you! I love it here. My chowpuppy name was givemecarbs and I joined because Harters and Linda Whit are here but there is so much more! Eventually I will be assimilated and get a cell phone but I am not sure I am ready yet. So no pics for now. I impulse bought a small brisket at tjs the other day. It is gone! I got suckered in by the little sign that told customers limit one. Glad I bought it. It was kosher. For my maiden voyage I just followed the very simple directions but I made some delicious gravy with fresh sauteed mushrooms. Frozen nuked peas as the side. We have leftover gravy. How did that happen? To not waste that gravy I prowled around my local lidl tonight. I found a small lamb roast. And unfortunately also two GNOMES. The wheels fell off the cart somehow, not literally of course and the lamb will have to wait, It is late here and I am just going to have cdc make me half a tuna sandwich…But there is wine. #lambcanwait I

15 Likes

I write, but keep forgetting to post…

Mom’s Crab Curry - after 4 or 5 years, maybe more. So. Amazing. And exhausting to eat (hence always Sunday lunch). With pav and rice both.

Momos (frozen) and sweet corn soup (homemade). Four kinds of momos - vegetable, spicy vegetable and cheese, chicken, spicy chicken. I pan-fried one type and steamed the other for both the veg and chicken.

Snacky “junk” / “street” food (but homemade) two days in a row because no one felt like “real” food. – I didn’t take pics of the Pav Bhaji (roughly mashed, highly spiced vegetables with griddled dinner rolls) but I did remember to take one the second night when we had Chaat (paging @gcaggiano) – Bhel and Sev Puri.

And… it’s MANGO SEASON. So there’s mangoes after almost every meal (and by mangoes I mean ALPHONSO ONLY). This is how we typically mango (though there’s also mango with cream, mango with ice cream, mango milkshake, mango ras ie pulp, and so on):

32 Likes

last night was the first nice night so we ate on the porch.
chicken fingers and cucumber salad from a Julia Turshen zoom cooking class. roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes on the side. a Last Word cocktail (partially visible) and a slice of leftover birthday cake for dessert!

24 Likes

Local spring spinach and seared mushrooms over Trader Joe’s porcini and truffle ravioli made a tasty dinner after a day of chores in the yard.

Fat Moon Mushrooms is a grower out of Westford, MA. We have become fans.

25 Likes

Beautifully fried eggs. :drooling_face:

“DH”? Darling husband???

2 Likes