What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Thanks for posting the one egg hollandaise!

1 Like

That pizza looks so delicious

@Phoenikia

Thank you! I should have included the cheeses: parm, low-moisture mozz and fresh mozz. It was terrific.
I made enough of the bechamel for two, so will be repeating soon.

2 Likes

I want it for breakfast, with an egg on top lol

2 Likes

Last night we made herbed lamb chops, roasted yellow beets, and buttered broccoli with a green salad. Very tasty.

27 Likes

Creamy Rigatoni with Asparagus and Seaweed

From Eric Kim/nyt. Pretty good

31 Likes

I would have never thought of using seaweed that looks delicious !

2 Likes

That whole meal looks fantastic!

4 Likes

braised pig ears

minced pork, chrysanthemum, pine nuts wrapped in a tofu sheet. I think I bought the wrong tofu sheet?

18 Likes

Some ten years ago my wife and I went out to dinner with two cousins of hers in Somerville, outside Boston. We went to an Italian restaurant that they had chosen. The restaurant had fresh bluefish that evening. I ordered it. The other three took pasta dishes. I was the only one that could finish the meal, and I was the only one really satisfied with what had been ordered. That’s the last time I had bluefish. Earlier than that we often had smoked bluefish when visiting the States. Also great.

4 Likes

I made turkey meatballs in homemade red sauce last night. I’ll be having some of them with linguine and a piece of garlic bread. No vegetables because I’m being a rebel.

10 Likes

You simmer kombu in the cream and pasta water as well. It’s a nice recipe for doing something different with asparagus.

5 Likes

Last night I made oven barbecued chicken thighs, an arugula salad with tomatoes and blue cheese dressing and a half of a steamed artichoke with spicy lemon dipping sauce. Going to make point to contribute to this topic with pictures as soon as I figure it out on my iPhone. :wink:

10 Likes

Hmm -@NJChicaa - you may claim to be a no-vegetable rebel, but around here we count red sauce (tomatoes, onions) as “vegetable” and call it good.

9 Likes

It’s FISHY FRIDAY!

Old Bay and butter-steamed cod
Handful of steamed, seasoned Texas shrimp from the fishmonger
Green beans which I covered with the OB-flavored butter from the fish (yum)
Pepper slaw
Green salad

15 Likes

Thai Red Curry with Shrimp, Pineapple and Snow Peas.

The Jasmine rice turned out much better with the 1:1 ratio. Thanks @Shellybean.

18 Likes

I’m so glad to hear it! It looks great! I’m impressed by how much cooking you’re doing for COTM and seemingly others (I wondered if perhaps you’re cooking from some of the Indian cookbooks you were asking about, too).

1 Like

This recipe is not from COTM so I posted it on the Thai Cuisine of the Quarter Thread.

We enjoy Thai cooking and it seems to be the month to do it as Thai chile etc. are more readily available.
My boys have been asking about Pad Thai too. I have a great online recipe that I’ve been using for years.

I am waiting to find out which Indian Cookbook that I’d like to cook from as I’m not sure yet.

My husband already picked up a Korean cookbook that was not on my list and he found on sale.
Not sure how much I’m going to like it as it is quite “busy” and difficult to read ( set up like a comic book) but I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

I haven’t had time to go grocery shopping since we returned from our weekend trip, so tonight was a real fridge scrounge. Luckily it ended up being weirdly delicious! I roasted halved Brussels sprouts in the oven, and while they were cooking, made a random stir-fry/braise of cherry tomatoes, bulk breakfast sausage, chicken thighs, white wine and garlic. Finished with sour cream and sage and served over the Brussels. Bizarre, but good! Need to fully restock fridge and pantry this weekend, though, because my magic hat is running out of potential tricks!

13 Likes

I have fish balls in the freezer that I made to use in various dishes, and I have shrimp. I also had a small napa cabbage that needed using. With it being Lent I decided on a Hokkien mee style dish. I made some thick egg noodles and braised them in chicken stock (hey, it’s not technically meat) I got from steaming a chicken the other day and a mix of sweet soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and oyster sauce. Stir fried the shrimp and fish balls separately and added towards the end. Added sugar to taste and was pleasantly surprised by how much it tasted like the Hokkien mee I’ve ordered from restaurants. Though obviously not the same wok hei, but they turned out delicious nonetheless. And I got rid of a few things (still have fish balls for at least two more meals, which I love).

13 Likes