What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Tonight’s dinner was a salmon curry.

18 Likes

Mmmm thin steaks can be challenging

audrey!!! Been missing your posts and NIW’s too. Glad to see you here. Been making your stick to the ribs soups and homemade breads? This is audrey 2 or maybe audrey one. Am I the plant or do I get fed to the plant. Little shop of horrors.

Inspired by EllenCooks mention of Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers above. I made a half-recipe, using cooked sliced roast beef from the deli counter and the full-recipe’s amount of (white button) mushrooms. Served with sides of white & wild rice, and sliced fresh apple. If I’d paid closer attention or if the nutrition panel had calculated calories from fat and percent of DV of fat, I would not have made this as-written. It was delicious, but next time only a half-slice of cheese.

21 Likes

Love bluefish. Haven’t had it in years.

1 Like

The Simple Thai thread gave me a hankering for red curry beef with bamboo. So, that’s lunch.

22 Likes

Burmese-style mint chicken — my guy Ken at the farmer’s market didn’t have holy basil in because the slugs have been eating it, so I had to change it up.

25 Likes

Thanks. I’ve never seen that product. Is it in the refrigerated section?

The product is shelf stable and it is with all the other tuna on the shelf.
If your Grocery Store doesn’t stock Rio Mare then head to your nearest Italian Shop.
You’ll surely find it there.

3 Likes

Salmon in Red Curry Sauce served over Thai Jasmine sticky rice with Herb-Baked Cashews

These Cashews are 10/10

20 Likes

Salmon, sweet potato, asparagus topped with one-egg hollandaise, a recipe from Chowhounder RelishPDX in 2014 that quickly became my no-fail, go-to. I was happy to find skinny asparagus spears at the grocery (and sale-priced). These look more like the back-yard-garden type I grew up eating; I think I’ve read that the thicker-stemmed ones are a different variety.

24 Likes

One Egg Hollandaise - paraphrased from recipe posted by Chowhounder RelishPDX in April 2014

1 egg yolk from a large egg
1/4 egg white from the egg (whisk egg white lightly to break it up, if necessary) - you may use all the egg white if you’re good with the whisk while cooking, but risk getting “scrambled eggs” not sauce…
1/3 stick (2 T plus 2 tsp) of salted butter at room temperature (or add a dash of salt to unsalted)
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Place all of the ingredients at the same time into a 2-qt. Pyrex casserole dish (or metal top pan of a double boiler), sitting over a 1-1/2 qt. saucepan half-filled with hot water (water should not touch the bottom of the top dish) . Turn the burner up to HI, and begin to slowly whisk ingredients together. Once the water in the pan sounds like it’s about to boil, turn the burner off. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, lifting the casserole dish /double boiler pan off of the saucepan once the sauce is finished.

This sauce holds very well and makes just the right amount for a meal (or breakfast) for two. If any is leftover, refrigerate and it may be reheated in the microwave briefly on a low setting stirring occasionally.

10 Likes

In our backyard, at least, the Martha Washington asparagus spears are skinnier than the Jersey Knights. So I think you are right, it can depend on variety. Ours got all mixed up in one patch, and I just use the different widths for different things.

4 Likes

Tacos tonight to use up the braised pork. Made jalapeños torreados to go with, along with some radish and cilantro for garnish.

24 Likes

That looks so amazing!

2 Likes

Yum!

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I made Cuban Black Beans, pork spiedini ( FarmBoy- already marinated), reheated leftover Parisienne potatoes from a Portuguese churrasqueira, mixed salad, frozen veg with garlic, onions, cilantro and lime.
Sugar & maple pie

and baked almond milk Arborio rice pudding for dessert.

14 Likes

I’d be happy to give you a call the next time Mr Bean catches some. Where are you in the summer?

i asked the BF to make us this:

which he did - a creamy parmesan sausage soup. maybe not the best choice on a 90 degree day, but it was good! he also roasted some eggplant alongside.

27 Likes