What's for Dinner #8 - 4/2016. The April Flowers Edition

They ARE fatty, aren’t they???

That they are

Dinner tonight: Mullet cooked with ginger and soy sauce in the oven with White asparagus cream soup: cooked the asparagus 20 minutes in boiling water, heated up in another pot with butter the chopped onion and shallot, added flour and eventually the asparagus cooking water and eventually the chopped asparagus for another 10 minutes, mixed everything and added milk, heated up a bit the soup and added cream.

The asparagus had too much fibers, I used a sieve to filter. The price of being lazy, should have peeled the asparagus before cooking.

5 Likes

A few hours spent at work this afternoon to try and get some more invoicing done.

Dinner was a pork chop, marinated in a combo of honey, pomegranate molasses, a hefty amount of ground black pepper, and olive oil. Pan-seared, then tucked into the oven with a bit of the marinade spooned over top.

Sides were Israeli couscous with chopped pistachios and steamed green beans with orange zest.

Wine. I’m debating chocolate or ice cream for dessert.

6 Likes

Chocolate .

3 Likes

Last night i went to a dinner meetup! Very unlike me. Delicious fresh pulled noodle dishes, fiddlehead ferns with black vinegar (amazing), shredded tofu salad, enoki mushroom skewars, dumplings… And good conversation:)

Tonight i made this recipe i’ve had marked a while for wilted greens with coconut milk. I skipped the scary chili and swapped in a significant bit of black pepper. I used half kale and half swiss chard, and tossed in a bunch of white beans for the last few minutes and some chopped cashews ontop of my bowl. Very tasty and quick

4 Likes

Italian sausage with lots of red pepper flakes, chard, and tomatoes, served over parmesan rosemary polenta.

Happy hour snacks…baguette with nduja, jalapeño kumquat jam, fresh ricotta with arugula, and fresh ricotta with olive oil and saracha salt.

4 Likes

I love nduja! Great with pasta too.

Upcoming - three bean curry. Dead easy

I make a basic sauce - onion, garlic, chilli, garam masala, fenugreek, ground coriander, tin of tomatoes. It simmers for 15 minutes. Then in goes three tins of beans - tonight it’ll be red kidney beans, butter beans and chickpeas. They warm through and dinner’s ready.

Chutney, pappads and chapattis to accompany.

(Yes - it is farty)

6 Likes

Dinner party Friday was a great success. We served gin cocktails for starters, along a large plate of caprese.

The lamb turned out ok, but both my man and I were underwhelmed with the flavors. We were expecting an umami bomb, which it wasn’t.

The beans were tasty, but lukewarm by the time I got everyone to sit down at the table; the peewees were fantastic: all that was leftover were 5 halves (out of 2 lbs.).

One of our friends brought an incredible almond/orange cake for dessert.

Copious amounts of wine. People were pretttttty happy by the end of the night :slight_smile:

Last night I worked while my man and some friends watched basketball & got Indian food delivered.

Tonight will be leftover lamb (the med-rare part :slight_smile: ) & more beans with lemon/shallot/dill butter.

Happy Sunday, HOs!

7 Likes

WFD: ~ Lamb steaks from Nigel Slater’s EAT, pg. 103: lamb steaks; garlic; fennel seeds; turmeric; ground coriander; black pepper; yoghurt.
http://www.theguardian.com/…/…/nigel-slater-lamb-with-yogurt
~ Steamed brown basmati in chicken broth with lemon juice and cilantro leaves stirred through at the last minute. (EAT pg. 102)
~ Pan-roasted asparagus with ghee.

Looks like Lamb Week on HO. We had lamb burgers last night in Pitta with Swiss cheese, horseradish mayo and a variety of vegetables… tomato/cilantro sprigs/sweet onion/butterlettuce. . Of course cheeeeps AKA crisps were there as well.

4 Likes

Simple sunday. Hungarian semolina dumplings, a Hungarian recipe from my Hungary Culinaria book*. I made it look like gnocchi but it’s not. According to the recipe I should have formed tiny chunks.

Tiny Belgian endives simply brushed with oil in which dried tomatoes have been marinated and grilled in a cast iron griddle.

(*a brilliant cookery book series originally in German, now discontinued.)

Lovely weather today so I guess spring is really coming after all. Resident black bird pair is collecting nest building material and they are using my bushy shed wall for this year’s brood.

4 Likes

Working on a jerked chicken dinner at the moment

Back to work!

1 Like

Tonight, a lentil bake adapted from a recipe card from Sainsbury’s about 30 years ago. It is supposed to be lentil rissoles, but that’s just too much faff so I bake the mixture in a dish instead. Onions are fried off gently with garlic, cumin, coriander seed and turmeric, and a small red chilli. Carrots and celery added. Then red lentils and stock, and the whole thing cooked for around 25 minutes, and whizzed with a hand mixer , then lots of chopped parsley mixed in, and the mixture baked. Served with roasted cauliflower. Baked apple and yoghurt to follow. Glass of Malbec. Lovely end to the weekend,

4 Likes

First night back from vacation, no cooking.

1 Like

Pulled out Nigel Slater’s “EAT” cookbook (thanks, @Gio for a reminder!), and went with a simple recipe - Orange and Sherry Vinegar Chicken Thighs on pp. 278-279. Fresh orange juice, sherry vinegar, melted butter, and I added some dried orange zest and dried thyme to the mixture.

Seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper, into a small baking pan, spooned the blended oj/vinegar/butter mixture over top and alongside, and tucked in a few halved garlic cloves into the liquid. Roasted at 350° for 30 minutes, then up to 450° for last 15 minutes, basting occasionally.

Roasted some Yukon Gold potatoes with salt, pepper and dried marjoram, and sauteed some sugar snap peas - also with salt, pepper and marjoram. And wine.

Work tomorrow. Wasn’t I just there yesterday? :-/

6 Likes

Jerk chicken cooked with grapefruit wood smoke from an old tree that didn’t make it. Cooked the peppers and onions on the grill in a cast iron pan. Rice and “peas” on the side along with braised greens. Ya mon, it hit the spot!

8 Likes

Tri Tip salt and pepper onto the grill . More interested in this head of cauliflower . Decided to sauté off a small amount of onion and garlic in the Dutch oven with a couple of anchovy fillets . Then add the cauliflower florets . Might reverse that process to brown off the cauliflower first . Then will add some bay and a can of tomatoes . Cook on stovetop . Also some grilled bread with Olive oil and salt added after .

2 Likes

I had a few friends over for an early dinner and i cooked! Of course, being a modern group there was a mix of dairy free, vegan, vegetarian and omni :))
We nibbled olives and marcona almonds with cava someone brought to start. I made several smaller dishes including these marinated carrots i did yesterday

Papas arrugadas con mojo (salty new potatoes you dip in mojo)

An orange/red onion/olives and arugala salad, and pan con tomate.
As a more hearty dish i made these stuffed eggplants and swapped in lentils for the ground meat and used cashew cream ontop instead of cheese

Lots of wine went with the meal and the three omnis seemed mystified they had a vegan meal and enjoyed it :wink:
Too much last minute scrambling and cava on an empty stomach = no photos. Whoops.

5 Likes

that chicken looks luscious!