What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Used Arborio rice. I had the water to be added on simmer as the recipe called for. Also did a half batch, not sure it mattered. I think I kept the flame lower than required for fear of overcooking. I also include time stirring the sautéing onions, not just the rice.

3 Likes

It looks like you kept the flame too low - the risotto should be simmering the whole tome

It actually was simmering, maybe just not strongly enough. Still, the finished product was A+. Next time I’ll up the heat and save my shoulder!

1 Like

Recipe for said biscuits?

3 Likes

Dinner was a slice of the curry chicken and sweet potato galette, mango, avocado & red onion salad with lime, honey, oo dressing.A lot of work for a just okay dish, the spices overwhelmed everything. There were pomegranate g&ts during prep and wine with.

14 Likes

We enjoyed another nice dinner at Corso 98 in Montclair, NJ. Besides the usually excellent eggplant piccata and baked oysters, we enjoyed hanger steak with grilled asparagus and clams and chorizo, and Brussels sprouts. It all went great with an excellent Malbec.

11 Likes

Hoping for the best! Glad your kiddo is improving. We missed you!

3 Likes

Tonight I made jambalaya (boxed) with real (medium…ha! :fire:) andouille and doctored with the trinity. Side of air-dried super-crispy okra fries with Romesco mayo. :drooling_face:

20 Likes

2 rough days for her but seems on the mend! I’ve been cooking through since we aren’t leaving the house!

4 Likes

Warning very easy. I used a non dairy whipping cream and didn’t do the butter at the end.

11 Likes

So sorry to hear about the quarantine. Do you need any ice cream dropped off? I hear Nicholas’s Coffee Bourbon Choc Chunk is great for parents taking care of sick kids.

5 Likes

You are the sweetest! We are fine and baking our way through it with cakes cupcakes and cookies. If we add more dessert we won’t be able to fit in our pants after this!!!

4 Likes

That meal looks amazing! And glad le petit oeuf is doing better. (I always read your HO name in my mind as “gracie egg” with no spaces, so… :wink: ).

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Haha!

2 Likes

Thanks! That seems too easy!

Dang. I was hoping I could use you as an excuse to get more ice cream - not that I need an excuse.

4 Likes

A few years ago Mario Batali, yes, that Mario Batali, and Mark Bittman published articles/recipes in the New York Times about risotto that did not need to be stirred constantly. If you like, I can find them for you.

2 Likes

Well I can’t be the reason you are out of ice cream! LOL!!

3 Likes

Thank you, but in the future I will go with my old slow cooker recipe for nights I don’t want to stir. The tastes were actually quite similar, though the texture of this one could not be beat.

Also worth noting for those interested, I subbed dry vermouth (Cinzano) for the wine, as I usually do.

5 Likes

Oh, I’m not out of ice cream…but who couldn’t use a little more. The last time I was there I intended to get 2 pints and walked out with 6.

5 Likes