What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Yep - this time not homemade but one of the better known German brands you can also get here in the Bay Area

shows how much i know, i didn’t know spaetzle could be long like that.
where in the Bay Area? I live in San Francisco, in the Mission.

1 Like

I don’t look for wings often but I don’t recall having an impossible time finding them. Chicken prices, all cuts, seem to to go up and down for no reason whatsoever. I don’t understand the huge variances based on the piece. I’ve learned to be very flexible in my menu planning.

Yes ShopRite!

1 Like

Since we live in Redwood City we tend to get our German food items either from the shop at Gourmet Haus Staudt (Redwood City) or Dittmer’s (Los Altos). For you in the Mission Lehr’s on Church Street in Noe Valley would be more convenient.

I saw the leg deal but thought I’d get too much grief if I tried to use them instead of wings. Mr Bean can be pretty picky

1 Like

Thanks! i walk all around the Mission and Noe on my lunch breaks but have never seen that store! will check it out.

i don’t either, but i remember this being in the news a few months ago, and also one of my atty’s clients is one of those wings places and they were telling him that there were no wings to be found, they were featuring thighs!

1 Like

Yes my husband was lightly complaining and I was all “you are more than welcome to not eat it” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Yes, WingStop launched a pretty aggressive campaign promoting things (temporarily rebranding as ThighStop!). We order some out of curiosity a few weeks ago - they’re not as good as wings given the lower proportion of skin to meat, but not bad. The real problem was WingStop’s sauce, which is terrible.

2 Likes

I’ve seen that too but I’ve been getting more and more skeptical about how “real” some shortages are.

1 Like

Temps dropped over 20 degrees after our high 70s this weekend, so the beef shank lemongrass stew i made yesterday was nice and warming. Kind of meshed a few recipes together: beef, ginger, lemon grass, star anise, garlic, thai bird chilies, shallots, thai basil, coconut milk, BTB beef stock, carrots, and whole radishes (out of daikon nearby), and fish sauce to finish. The radishes were a great sub. Glad i made enough to freeze.

16 Likes

TPSTOB in this meal!

We both worked late tonight so that ruled out going out to dinner or cooking something fancy for V-Day. And honestly, neither of us were dying to do something crazy anyway. So I made breakfast: ham, asparagus, and Mozzarella scramble with cheesey hash browns and multigrain toast. Two slices for me because the only thing I love more than my BF is carbs!

Tried a new vodka as well. It’s called 1941 and is always heavily promoted by my go-to liquor store as the “cheaper” Tito’s. Bottle even looks similar. Anyway, it was quite good! Cheers!

21 Likes

those HBs!!

3 Likes

Made them in my wok. As well as the eggs.

Guess you can say this was a one wok meal.

I shot a video of me flipping the hash browns but unfortunately it will not post to HO.

4 Likes

Coho Salmon gravlax on home made bialys (The Alexandra Cooks recipe) for more meals then I would care to admit…

For Valentines Day lunch? Killer crab cakes from Fish King in Glendale CA - so light! So crunchy! And dipped in tempura batter before frying…

And for Valentines Day dinner? NYC Style pizza from Leites Culinaria.

I was having a crunchy work day when I mixed the dough and I knew it. So the pies were not as picture perfect as they had been in the past but? Still very tasty. Love that recipe!

15 Likes

wah! i’d like to see that.

1 Like

Couscous salad with sautéed diced chicken breast, dates, red onion, garlic, pine nuts, feta, fresh mint, lemon thyme, cinnamon, harissa and white balsamico

9 Likes

Nicoise! A nice break from heavier winter food.

13 Likes

Here’s a speedy version of chicken tortilla soup that I made to repurpose leftover chicken from a takeout meal.

Sautéed onions and carrots, a handful of tomatoes that needed using, cumin, and chipotle powder. Poured in a box of chicken stock after the veggies were soft. I added a couple of handfuls of Trader Joe’s fire-roasted frozen corn. Then diced two small corn tortillas so they’d dissolve into the broth for flavor. The leftover chicken, shredded and coarsely chopped, went in at the end until heated through.

Cilantro and lime juice to finish would have been nice—but we had neither. So only chunks of avocado to garnish.

15 Likes