What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

They poop a lot, it must come from somewhere.

2 Likes

Roasted pork tenderloin with a cranberry sauce, baked yam with tpstob, salad of mixed greens, red pear, celery, golden raisins, pistachios and maple balsamic dressing.

13 Likes

It hit 60 in NJ today and is expected to be in the 20s and snowing by morning!

2 Likes

Two days without cooking was enough, so I made Chicken Sorrentino. Layers of chicken, roasted eggplant, prosciutto, and Provolone are topped with a quick pan marinara sauce (a little thicker than I wanted but would rather that than watery). I get bored with Italian food easily but this was a homerun. Very easy just a tad time-consuming. Served with grilled polenta.

To drink: I’ve mixed a lot of drinks with a wide range of ingredients but I thought that Scotch and Chartreuse was really a stretch! This is called a “Bobby Burns” and is usually drank on Burns Night, which celebrates Scotch poet Robert Burns. A few of you HO’s celebrated in January. I missed that by a few weeks, but this ended up being an amazing drink. Equal parts Scotch and sweet vermouth really offset the herby notes of the Chartreuse (most recipes call for Benedictine). Funny enough, this combination almost tasted like a dry Drambuie. Will make again! Slainte!

14 Likes

Cod with tomatoes and rice. Super delicate and tasty. Cheers

16 Likes

Yeah, I had heard “snow showers” last night on the local news. That obviously changed overnight, as we’ve got about 2" out there this morning. We’ll be back up to 60° by Thursday. Rollercoaster weather. But better than 2015 with our record season snowfall! That seemed like we had a blizzard once a week.

4 Likes

last night at my sister’s, terrible lighting, but it was delicious. Trader Joe’s frenched pork chops marinated all day in yogurt, smoked paprika, brown sugar, S&P, smashed garlic. wiped off, then made a rub of bourbon sugar, bacon salt, smoked paprika, a little cayenne, and pan fried. Incredibly juicy & tender. We split one gigantic chop. (Two leftover, one will be dinner tonight for the BF & I.) Also, cauliflower dredged in egg then flour, panko, Italian bread crumbs, spritzed with olive oil spray, baked until super crispy, then topped with a quick sauteed sauce of honey, brown sugar, chili crisp, soy sauce, minced ginger and garlic. Really good, probably making for our dinner tonight, too.

16 Likes

That sounds so good!

1 Like

The Big Game started just as my SB meal was done cooking.

Turkey chili with sauteed chopped onion, red bell pepper, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, a can of cannellini beans, a can of kidney beans, a can of diced tomatoes, a cup of chicken stock, 2-3 cups of leftover chopped turkey from Thanksgiving, dried oregano, and a cup of mashed ginger-maple sweet potatoes

Let it all simmer on a flame tamer with the lid tipped for a couple of hours.

Made some Jiffy cornbread, and served the chili over elbow noodles topped with grated Manchego cheese and sour cream.

Wine.

15 Likes

Dinner was “Detroit style” pizza from a pop-up, garlic spinach, and crudites with ranch.

We brought pineapple upside-down cake and charcuterie and cheese to an afternoon hang with friends.

20 Likes

I made chili last night so it would improve by tonight. Ground chuck, sautéed onions and garlic, cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, rotel, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper. Once that all came together I let it simmer for 25 minutes and sit for 10 more. Labeled into bowls with a little shredded cheddar and sour cream on top, it tasted just fine last night but I knew it would be better tonight.
Super Bowl Sunday calls for snacks. Had too many snacks and drinks and left no room for chili. Will freeze the chili.

12 Likes

There is something about the super bowl that makes me want to try to make wings. I refuse to deep fry them so it’s usually a hit or miss endeavor. This Christmas I got an air fryer so tried that. Did one in a egg/flour batter that was recommended and one in a flour/egg/panko thing. Yum. Very crunchy! Also made guacamole and a black bean salad I love. Tried some cauliflower bites too that were a hit.

14 Likes

Oh and I know these aren’t wings. The selection was depressing and I didn’t feel like going to another store.

2 Likes

A fun fact. I was in Los Angeles for the first Super Bowl in 1967. We watched the game on tv in a bar on Century Blvd. called the Gold Cup. They had an antenna on top of the apartment building behind the bar so they could get a signal from San Bernardino (or San Diego?) as there was a blackout in Los Angeles.
Dinner was a hot dog and potato salad. Dessert, a small very rustic pear & blue cheese galette with a sprinkle of pistachios.
Fog has crept in, it is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow.

15 Likes

There is an ongoing wing shortage that is making decent wings REALLY hard to find and expensive. My Costco was completely out of fresh wings on both of my recent trips and had a two bags per person limit on frozen ones. I bought a bag and they were pathetic - tiny with almost no meat on them. I lucked into some decent fresh ones at my regular market yesterday but I had to buy whole ones and remove the tips/cut into drums and flats myself. The pre-cut ones looked sad and were priced at $6 per pound - insane!

5 Likes

Daube Provencale with Spaetzle

13 Likes

Same!!! It was all frozen and they looked teeny!!! These were on sale and $.99 per lb!

1 Like

I think wing prices always get jacked up the week before the Super Bowl. I tried to get mine a couple of weeks ago and there weren’t any at my local supermarket. I ended up having lots of choices last week and the prices did not seem outrageous though they were a bit more expensive than I recall. I usually buy the full wing and break them down - I save the tips for soup.

@gracieggg - were those from Shop Rite? They seem to have legs on sale quite often.

4 Likes

looks good, but that’s spaetzle?

wings have been hard to find and $$$ for months now, i heard even the chain fast food wing places were having a hard time getting them so they were “resorting” to thighs!

2 Likes