What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

The food!
The beauty of your location! :heart::heart:
The peacefulness! :heart::heart::heart:

Perfection.

6 Likes

No, I used homemade chicken stock, which is always darker than regular purchased stock, as I use whatever chicken bones I have in the freezer. So perhaps that was the difference. I also didn’t have much 'lemony" flavoring, so perhaps that was on me.

Don’t get me wrong…it was very good. Just not as spectacular as I was expecting. Again, probably on me.

1 Like

Woke up.
Another gray day.
Glad I had already planned for a “proper Sunday dinner.”

After 24 hours drying out in the downstairs fridge with just s/p on the skin, I cranked the oven to 450° for 15 minutes and roasted a whole chicken with fresh rosemary, thyme and lemon quarters tucked inside with a squeeze of lemon juice on the outside. Turned the heat down to 350° for the remaining 100 minutes or so, basting once.

Yukon Gold potatoes mashed with TPSTOB, heavy cream, and sour cream (with s/p), and a mix of peas and TJs roasted corn.

Wine. And back to work tomorrow.

18 Likes

@mariacarmen and @LindaWhit such gorgeous meals!! And lovely view mc.

Tonight, sliced smoked duck breast, wild rice with shiitakes and leeks, inadvertently super spicy harissa roasted carrots.

The smoked duck breast was the best I’ve ever had: local pastured duck, cured and smoked by the very fancy butcher/deli in Rockport, ME. Simply amazing. I apparently added too much cobanero chili flakes to my usual harissa carrots recipe - yikes! But I did establish that you can make it ahead, refrigerate for several days, then roast and it’s as delicious as usual.

15 Likes

This afternoon we had a cheese plate and snacks. Appetites for dinner were lower but we made sesame and panko-crusted pork chops, dino kale with butter and doenjang, garlic broccoli, and leftover soy-glazed taters. I had brined the pork with soy sauce and mirin and it turned out very juicy and flavorful. I made a faux bulldog sauce for over top.

18 Likes

Simple dinner of pan-seared ribeyes and roasted peppers, as requested by the birthday boy! He lucked out though - dinner was substantially elevated by the quality of the steaks. This Christmas, my boss gifted me two 1.5" “black” grade ribeyes from Snake River Farms, an American Waygu supplier in the Snake River Valley of Washington/Idaho. Absolutely incredible quality. Very well marbled but not as rich as Japanese Kobe (which, IMO, is a good thing when you want to eat a whole steak). If you are looking for a splurge, I can highly recommend their meat!!!

13 Likes

I made white chicken chili with leftover Zuni chicken and leftover pigeon peas.

(upload://rJzVPkTMLoNW5VEMmbpVfTHFwpM.jpeg)

17 Likes

I used homemade chicken stock for that dish too… Anyway, yeah, maybe you just needed more lemon.

I finished my bottle of bubbles. It still had a little oomph left after two days. I made a French 75 and a Sbagliato.

Street chorizo tacos and pinto beans.

13 Likes

I had just decided that anytime I want special occasion meat it’s coming from Snake River Farm! Love their stuff!

3 Likes

Thank you!

That that looks fantastic.!

What is cobanero? I’ve never heard of that chili! Off to google…

2 Likes

Stuck in the house for five days and all there has been to do is cook, cook, cook! Today, BF and I made Sunday Sauce. He usually does this on his own but actually let me help him today! There was an assortment of seared meatballs, brascioles (pork and beef), and sausage before being added to the sauce. He learned how to make this meal in the Bronx several years ago and even my grandma thought it was the best she ever had-- we used her sauce pot today. The house smells amazing! He also made foccacia, the dough of which proofed in our 10-in-1 air fryer. Happy Sunday!

Prep:

To drink:

We each had a glass of wine while cooking. Needed some for the sauce anyway and while it was early, I took a page out of @LindaWhit’s book and said, “To hell with it”.

With dinner I had a Boulevardier. Cheers.

22 Likes

Well! from Burlap and Barrel:. “Cobanero Chili is one of the rarest chili varietals in the world. Dating back to the Mayan era, this heirloom chili is only cultivated in the mountains around the Guatemalan city of Cobán and has a bright, fruity and slightly floral flavor reminiscent of peach and papaya. Its aroma is earthy and smoky, similar to a Scotch bonnet, and Burlap and Barrel’s meticulous sourcing ensures that you’re getting a fresh, flavorful product.”

Interesting! May have to get me some…

4 Likes

So productive! The focaccia looks incredible! Cin-cin!

2 Likes

It’s good, but I mainly use it for finishing, since I like the flavor so much. Think you’d like it too (Cobanero chile)

1 Like

You won’t regret it, it’s my favorite chili although a little goes a long way for me (very spicy). I will say, it is VERY easy to find enough on that site to get free shipping. Another fave: fermented white pepper.

1 Like

Good to know thanks!

1 Like

Wine for the cook(s) so you can “get sauced” as well as the sauce getting sauced. :wink:

6 Likes

Patty melt, ground lamb and Muenster cheese…I grate the onion into the meat rather than topping. Potato roll. Broccoli slaw and tahini carrots.

Ozark Season 4 is coming 1/21 to Netflix but for now I’m in movie catchup mode. Netflix originals have been fast and furious lately. Read a branch of Netflix studios has secured space at Fort Monmouth (NJ).

12 Likes

I made ATK’s “Easy Chicken Stew,” which is not a great recipe. I don’t understand the inclusion of tomato paste for umami in so many of their poultry stews. It was NOT undetectable as claimed. I added a can of evaporated milk for balance, which definitely helped. I also added celery because duh. The other issue is that the recipe has you immediately release pressure after cooking for 2 minutes, which causes soup to explode out the vent. Disappointing.
On the side we had hakurei turnips and their greens sauteed with butter and garlic. Always good!

11 Likes