What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Happy New Year Hungry Onions! :hearts:

Lucky 2022 Black Eyed Peas

Made these to share with a non-red meat eater, so refrained from adding a salty pork product and instead added highly seasoned ground chicken. They were delish.

Cornbread

Cheated with a box mix and summer corn I had cut off the cobb, steamed and frozen. :blush:

18 Likes

Cornbread IS the perfect accompaniment to BEP’s!

1 Like

Happy New Year!! I made it to midnight. I wish I had a magic wand and could make 2022 a spectacular year for all of us.

I had a mimosa while I was picking crab for my crab cakes. And then I had a St. Germain spritz while I was cooking the crab cakes. And then another while I was eating the crab cakes. The crab cakes were served with aioli, black eyed peas, for good luck, and anchovy lovers’ crostini.

20 Likes

Sandwich on roll with mayo, mustard, provolone, mortadella from the Fatted Calf, lettuce, vinaigrette, and tomato, with potato chips.

17 Likes

Final dish.

21 Likes

Mediterranean inspired beef burger with sun-dried tomatoes, shallots, oregano, parmesan, parsley covered with arugula

14 Likes

First meal of 2022 in the Bean house was Hoppin’ John - black eyed peas simmered with onions, bacon, tomatoes and a touch of hot pepper. I cooked the rice separately since each of us prefers a different pea to rice ratio.

17 Likes

We started off 2022 with a bang with another outstanding dinner at James on Main, in Hackettstown, NJ. We enjoyed mushroom ravioli with butternut squash puree; Wood fired NY Strip steak with cauliflower and stilton croquette; turbot with caviar cream; duck leg confit with homemade sausage and watercress pesto; prosciutto San Danielle with grilled figs; mushroom bisque soup; shrimp and grits; and dessert consisting of chocolate truffles, macaroons, figs, grapes, blackberries and pomegranates. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Malbec.

10 Likes

Happy New Year all, hope it’s happy and healthy!
Last night we followed H’s parent’s tradition of making pizzas. We made a bunch, they were smaller than they look. Have some leftover. Chicken, artichoke, pesto, Greek, pepperoni and veg, and ham with cheese, etc. Nice and relaxing evening, watched the fireworks at midnite.

22 Likes

Collards and black eyed peas have been a New Year’s Day stable in my home.

Been away this weekend sailing on my cousins new sail boat. But did make my version of Texas Caviar with black eyed peas to eat on the boat and back at their beach condo last night

10 Likes

Looks wonderful!

1 Like

Decadent meal! Looks great. The face mask pouch in the last shot made me chuckle. Sign of the times.

3 Likes

Sorry you have been sick for so long! But those meat pies are absolutely stunning!! When you have recovered, and if you are willing to share, I’d love the recipe. I had French Canadian meat pie once, at a NYE party 4 or 5 years ago, and loved it.

4 Likes

Thank you! It was outstanding. The ‘face mask pouch’ was actually my eyeglass case :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy NY all!

Lol! Pizzas here too. H’s cooking.

Anchovies

4 seasons + porcetta + Parma ham

Our favorite! Prawn marinated with lime zeste, garlic, olive oil + scallops

19 Likes

Beautiful pies! Wonderful eating I’m sure and please pass on my compliments to your H.

4 Likes

Happy New Year, HOs! we are just back from 3 nights in the Santa Cruz Mountains, in a little cottage nestled on a working farm in the woods, with a (distant) view of the ocean. We did almost nothing - laid about, read (I’m reading In the Weeds about Tony Bourdain - compelling), listened to music, did crossword puzzles, and endlessly watched a live cam of some white-tailed deer being fed for the winter in Maine. Gorgeous, quiet, just what we needed. I prepped and cooked all our meals (some before we left the City). Bfasts/lunches were snacking on bread/cheese/pate/chips/potato salad, etc. I brought wine/bubbles/tequila with us, and then found a pre-made Old Fashioned cocktail at the local, quite bougie, store. Deviled eggs for our first happy hour.

Our first dinner was something the BF had been begging me to make and I finally gave in - Salisbury Steak. My only experience of this dish had ever been as a Swanson’s frozen dinner as a child. Bleah. But I used a Chef John recipe and was surprised at how well it turned out. Very tasty, though i forgot to bring flour so there was no gravy to speak of, but a very nice mushroom sauce nonetheless. And it made the BF very happy! Buttery/creamy mashed potatoes, and the BF sauteed zukes. A delicious Sicilian red with, bubbles after for me/tequila for him.

Next night, for NYE, i’d prepped an ersatz version of cassoulet, using confit duck legs i sous vided for 36 hours. I followed a mish-mash of recipes very loosely, using salt pork and weisswurst as it was the only fresh sausage I had in the house. RG Corona beans were so firm and meaty, despite really long cooking times. All in all, turned our really good but i’d probably not do the sous vide again as whatever benefits the duck gained in texture were I think lost after then baking the whole thing in the oven. But a flavorful dish! Wished it had been brothier, is all. Simple butter lettuce/shallot salad with a walnut oil/dijon vinaigrette on the side. A French pinot noir with dinner, bubbles/tequila for toasting until about 1:30 when we gave in and went to bed.

We went wine tasting (just 2 places, where we could sit outside) on NY day, and when we got back the BF began firing up the grill. Whenever we have access to a grill we bring a lot of extra meat to cook to bring home and use for other dinners - we just love the smokiness. So i brought a tri tip, a rib eye, a pork chop slathered with dijon, the rest of the weisswurst, and pre-cooked Aidell’s mushroom bacon cheese sausages which I wrapped in bacon. We had a taste of everything but the tri tip and brought a ton of meat home. I made chimichurri for the steak, Vietnamese garlic noodles and creamed-ish, garlicky spinach. I’d bought a couple of bottles of wine at one of the wineries but decided to save them. Finished off the pinot and drank the new-to-me Gray Whale gin on ice for the rest of the evening/tequila for the BF.

This morning we packed up and left, and headed to a nearby grill that had outdoor seating for cheeseburgers and a beer each before we headed home.

i’d like to say i’m done eating for the week, but…

Hope everyone had a safe/happy/festive/relaxing NY! Hoping for a better 2022!

NYE 2021 - 4

NYE 2021 - 5

23 Likes

sorry you didn’t love that dish the way a bunch of us did! yours looks darker than most i’ve seen, did you use soy or a beef stock or something? i like the addition of the asparagus…

1 Like

that sandwich looks like a pro made it! wonderful!

1 Like

those pies are darling! so sorry to hear you’ve been so sick for so long. here’s hoping it’s not covid. a friend of mine got his first cold this year since before the pandemic and said it lasted far longer than he remembered colds lasting… so maybe that’s a thing?

2 Likes