What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Ours, too. We have the fattest squirrels and opossums in town. They are getting bold, too. The other night a squirrel attacked a covered pot of mashed potatoes left on the back deck overnight in frigid weather.

4 Likes

that looks heavenly! i’ve only made these once before… need to repeat!

12-18 inches of snow…………bring it on Mother Nature!

Gotta have some braciole!

20 Likes

The key is choosing plump, thick meated chilis…and using them before they start to wither!

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was entirely heat n eat: packaged pulled pork and mac n cheese, deli coleslaw (doctored), canned seasoned Italian green beans, canned baked beans.

I did toast the potato buns in butter.

Homemade is better, but this was cheaper than takeout by a lot.

17 Likes

Last night I actually cooked:

Beef chuck pot roast with port, shallots, and dried mushrooms. Carrots, celery, and CSA potatoes cooked in the pot. Green salad with raspberry vinaigrette and peas alongside, and some cauli-jasmine rice to catch the pot roast juices.

20 Likes

Went simple tonight: a chicken thigh seasoned with olive oil and Spicewalla’s Honey and Herb seasoning rub and roasted in the convection oven. Sides were leftover Israeli couscous and newly steamed green beans.

Wine was poured when I got home. And poured again midway through cooking.

And I’m as ready as I’ll ever be with the Snowmageddon Bombogenesis Blizzard of 2022 coming in tomorrow.

22 Likes

That rub is so good. I need to get more. Stay safe and warm through the storm! I trust you have adequate supply of wine? :wink:

4 Likes

Uh…yeah! Looks delicious. I have Spätzle on my radar this time of year, too. But I think we need a small break from braises and soups right now.

I’m the slightly lower 12”-18” band! Stay safe!!

1 Like

I would forgo the bread, milk and eggs that the French Toast Alert System notes New Englanders always flock to the supermarkets to buy before a major storm before I would run out of wine.

In other words, I’m well stocked. :wine_glass::wink:

9 Likes

You as well! I’m hoping this storm pulls out to sea and leaves us all with a LOT less. But when Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel shows up in Boston, you know it’s going to be a doozy.

9 Likes

BF is on a smashburger kick and I’m not going to dissuade him. that and his potato salad (which was rather more like mashed potato salad, but whatevs, still good!)

20 Likes

My mouth is watering and I just finished dinner.

1 Like

Chicken thighs, carrots and onions roasted in a sweet & spicy sauce. Greek salad with creamy Greek dressing.
Stay safe all you HOs on the East Coast.

16 Likes

Mrs. P made penne with crumbled Andouille sausage, honey crisp apples, gorgonzola cheese, arugula, garlic, and sautéed red onions :yum: It all went great with an excellent Oakville Napa cabernet.

13 Likes

Green beans, mashed potato with gravy, meatloaf

20 Likes

Last night was a no cook night. The Rangers had a number retirement ceremony for Henrik Lundqvist, their goalie for literally half my life. A rather emotional night and game to follow, which they proceeded to lose. Of course. The cherry on the sundae was the game-tying goal getting waived off with exactly one second on the clock. I’m still pissed!

I brought a sandwich home from work, and it was good enough to get the job done. Several vodkas followed the game’s end result.

Currently about a foot of snow on the ground as I post this. There’s roast beef in the slow-cooker and these on ice for later:

Breakfast was homemade waffles, which you can check out in the What’s Cooking NJ board.

17 Likes

Made some homemade ravioli to go with yesterday’s gravy. Hearty meal after moving 18” of snow!!

19 Likes

Apricot, bleu cheese, honey, slivered almonds.
Whiskey Mac chaser on this frigid Saturday. Thoughts to my MA HO’s, keep warm!

17 Likes