What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

I make mine more like meatloaf patties.

2 Likes

As do I. Salisbury steak is classic comfort food. Ground beef mixed with bread crumbs, onions, Worcestershire sauce and a few other seasonings is made into patties and sautéed in a cast iron pan for a few minutes and then, flipped. Whip up a mushroom gravy and pour over the meat. Mashed spuds and whatever frozen or canned veggies complete the meal. Quick, filling, tasty, basic. I don’t make it more than once or twice a year but when I do, it hits the spot.
It’s not a hamburger/cheeseburger. It’s really small meatloaves, quickly cooked,
I love a good burger but only if it’s cooked outside. Too cold where I am now so ground beef goes into other dishes.
The dinners HO’s prepare are truly impressive. I love to prepare elaborate meals for guests and plan dinner parties. But, haven’t done so since 2019! Pre pandemic.

10 Likes

Glad I planned for a quick put-together dinner after the crazy week I’ve had so far. A cheesesteak with shaved steak, s/p, grated Manchego cheese, and quick-caramelized onions on a Brioche roll with Fritos alongside. A very brown meal, but tasty.

19 Likes

Tonight I made paprikas with turkey thighs and TPSTOSC. I simplified a bit and it was delicious! Sides were cabbage quickly sauteed in butter with bay leaves and caraway and leftover Austrian kraut. Served the paprikas over pappardelle mixed with zucchini noodles. Messy plate but tasty.

15 Likes

Quesadillas with grilled chicken, onion, cilantro, and lots of cheese!

To drink: Scotch…again!

16 Likes

This - it’s much more like meatloaf than a burger.

1 Like

Thanks to you, @ChristinaM this dish is now on my to-try list. We need a reminder of warm sunny days and this prep ought to do the job.

1 Like

Definitely let it marinate a while. I added the lime right before serving. I used V8 instead of Clamato to save a trip.

2 Likes

Interesting using Clamato vs V8. I “follow” a Rick Bayless recipe which uses ketchup. I’m going to have to investigate other versions. Coctel de camarones is one of my go to party foods as I almost always have the ingredients on hand.

1 Like

I used a little ketchup, too.

2 Likes

Great minds!

Looks really tasty to me! :yum:

2 Likes

Dinner last night, clam chowder with garlic toast. Chowder not that great, due to cooking misjudgments - it happens…

14 Likes

BF made shells and meat sauce with nameko mushrooms. I didn’t realize the shrooms have a slightly gelatinous, they’re used in miso and other things to thicken. Not my favorite shroom, but they were fine in this, and his sauce was nice & spicy. Simples.

13 Likes

And me.

I like my hamburgers with pure beef, med rare, emphasis on the rare, but Salisbury Steak has ammendments.

And it reheats! I use this recipe.

11 Likes

Steak au poivre with frites, broccolini and tomato.

13 Likes

I gave the rest of my Salisbury to the ravens. I’ll hear them in the morning for a wake up call.

7 Likes

Chili relleno (Oaxacan cheese, red enchilada sauce, Salvadorian cream)

18 Likes

We don’t toss food in town (not wanting to encourage raccoons or coyotes) but in the country, all unreporposable leftovers go over the deck. Amazingly EVERYTHING is always gone by morning,
We try to maintain a compost heap but that too is considered a buffet.

7 Likes

That is drool-worthy!