What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

I wanna party with you guys.

4 Likes

It was delicious, there will be more. I was inspired by a recipe for a Grand Marnier Wallbanger. You’re too young to remember Harvy Wallbangers.

3 Likes

Dinner last night was TPSTOB. My sister made Julia Child’s sole meuniere. Perfectly cooked Petrale sole (we don’t get Dover here) that stayed crispy even after the browned butter/lemon/caper sauce. We would use a little less lemon next time, as it didn’t taste as nutty-browned-buttery as we wanted/remembered, probably because we were making only half the amount of fish. I can see why this was Julia’s gateway dish to cooking. We had an amazing version of it in Paris too. This was very nearly that.

She also made uber buttery, creamy mashed potatoes, I made the asparagus. Pink bubbly with.

19 Likes

Never had one. Though I do enjoy vodka and orange juice. Might have to pick up some Galliano and give it a try.

1 Like

We could eat a little healthier and drink a little less, but yeah, we know how to have a good time!

1 Like

Life’s too short, and all that crap, is what I say…

6 Likes

Hot dogs on brioche, tots, greens. Neighborhood snow bar before - we brought coffee and homemade Irish cream. Snowball fight as appetizer.

22 Likes

Love the snow bar!

6 Likes

I wanna move to your neighborhood!

9 Likes

Oh. Em. Gee. This is brilliant! What a great neighborhood!

5 Likes

My sister asked me for my go-to Chicken Paprikas recipe a few days ago, and it stuck in my brain. Three large BISO chicken thighs were used tonight so I have leftovers. Served on extra-wide egg noodles with green beans and wine alongside.

In addition, the boyz have decided to show their disdain for the drubbing the Patriots got last night. They asked about the Bruins, and when the Red Sox start their Spring training. They don’t seem to care much about the Celtics.

18 Likes

So awesome - how have I never encountered one of these!!

2 Likes

We also have jello shots and coolers of drinks at Halloween, along with cotton candy made to order!

5 Likes

Very awesome, love the well!

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Bloom in Verona, NJ including duck breast in grape juice with pomme puree, charred endive, and artichoke, as well as old favorites of scallops, octopus, fried shrimp with gochujang and wasabi sauces, bulgogi tacos, butternnut squash soup, fried shishito peppers, and truffle fries and escargot (not pictured). There were plenty of leftovers. It all went great with an excellent Amarone.

7 Likes

love his elegantly crossed paws!

1 Like

Chile colorado-ish, with pork and very smoky bacon. Made my usual enchilada sauce with dried guajillos and anchos, added the browned pork shoulder chunks, added a mandarin orange cut in half, and also charred a few tortillas and tore them up to dissolve in the sauce for that corny flavor. simmered for 2+ hours. Very tender and smokalicious. Garlicky rice under, a perfect teeny avocado to top.

18 Likes

13 Likes

Single serving eggplant parm. Sorry there won’t be leftovers, but I didn’t have that much eggplant or mozzarella.
IMG_1141
Hot & sour soup with bok choy, smoked tofu and wood ears. Also too much sesame oil, but don’t tell anyone.
IMG_1143

15 Likes

As so often the least photogenic dishes are often the best tasting ones - veal stew with blanched asparagus and shiitake mushrooms and two sauces (veal jus roti and asparagus puree) served over spaetzle

15 Likes