What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Catching up on a few dinners that didn’t get posted: Airplane chicken, veggies and baked sweet potato, lamb shank (from last year’s lamb) with a pomegranate & herb sauce, wedge salad & bucatini with Greek style tomato sauce and mizithra cheese, and lastly beef brisket with funeral potatoes, slaw and beans. All delicious, but the brisket came closest to what we aspire to than ever before. Exciting to make progress on that front!

15 Likes

well yes, that’s what it usually is - but I’ve always found it very bland in restaurants, and since we didn’t have the juices anyway, he took Beef BTB and doctored it up to his liking. i’m not sure what all went in - probably worcestershire sauce for one…

2 Likes

that brisket is heaven! Swooning…

That’s very helpful, thanks! As I happen to have some leftover brisket from the beef noodle soup, and just bought the bnb at the store. I can do sandwiches!

1 Like

Thanks - we’ve always been underwhelmed by our efforts til now, so it was gratifying for sure. 4 hours over hickory smoke, 4 hours in a low oven, and 2 hours tightly wrapped in foil, and put in an insulated cooler. Think the wrapping & waiting is crucial, since maybe it allows the liquid to reabsorb, best guess tho.

1 Like

Have also always had to doctor up the drippings, even from generously seasoned beef. Like you, supplement with BTB, or other beef base, Worcestershire, and sometimes sautéed shallots/onions and mushrooms. At these times wish to have some Demi or glacé de viande to hand. Going to make a bunch & freeze one of these days. I hope. We’ll see tho…need a 40 qt stockpot and a major quest to find all the stuff. Worked with someone who did it every year & swore by it.

2 Likes

I’ve never made one either, it always sounded like quite the endeavor.

1 Like

i keep going back to drool over that brisket…
but just noticed “airplane” chicken! is that just spatchcocked chicken?

1 Like

That all looks so delicious, but that lamb shank is drool-worthy!

1 Like

Haha, no! I was just playing with my food, it was a Costco rotisserie chicken in fact…

2 Likes

Tonight we made chicken breast cutlets (marinated with fresh oregano, garlic, onion, oo, ras el hanout, Badia Adobo, lemon zest, and shawarma seasoning). Sides were tabouleh, garlic yogurt sauce with turmeric, hummus, and sauteed honey mustard new carrots and haricots cooked with crispy onions and garlic. Quite a tasty meal. Chocolate and berries for afters.

17 Likes

Thanks! Can’t decide if (rib) lamb chops or shank is my fav, but leaning towards shank in fact. So flavorful, and tender!

1 Like

Dinner tonight - kitchen sink ham fried rice. Totally forgot the eggs, but it was good as is. Added a little chile crisp to mine.

11 Likes

No shame at all, just noting the authenticity of the recipe.

In college I actually wrote a short paper in my biology class dispelling the myths of MSG and the history of the panic surround it.

5 Likes

Thai-ish hot and sour chicken soup. Bone-in chicken thighs simmered with ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, and cilantro. I like to make my broths ahead of time so the flavors meld better. I shredded the chicken and reheated it and the broth with fish sauce, jalapeños, tamarind, oyster mushrooms, and fresh tomatoes. I would have preferred bird’s eye chilis but I didn’t have any and didn’t feel like going out.

16 Likes

Simple but tasty - lentil stew with carrots, celery, bacon, thyme, bay leaf topped with an apple, mustard, acetico balsamico mixture and some sour cream

13 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t implying that you felt any shame -anyone who buys a bag of MSG is obviously drinking the Kool-Aid!

And I’m reading the au jus discussion above, thinking, “for crying out loud, why don’t you just use MSG?!” :laughing:

2 Likes

A belated happy new year to all!

It’s been “a bit busy” (understatement of the decade) at my end, so I’ve been mia on reporting, but it’s been fun - and “normalizing” - to read about everyone’s meals and happenings.

A better 2022 to us all - to make up for the past two years and more!

9 Likes

Last nights dinner needs to be in a thread for WORST dinners ever - and all my fault.
Made a beautiful haddock chowder. It was complete except for the last addition of cream….
It was excellent heavy cream well past its date. I tasted it several times, smelled it, tasted again and stupidly decided to add it to the chowder. The minute it hit the warm chowder I knew it had been a bad idea. Tasted it 5 or 6 times trying to convince myself it tasted ok. It did not taste ok and all went down the drain. Not a good night. Threw together some tortillas and black beans.
No one starved😄

11 Likes

Sounds 100% like something I would do. Sorry about your beautiful chowder though.

In my experience heavy cream remains good surprisingly longer than the expiration date on the carton says (learned during the pandemic). Yet when it turns, it seems to happen almost imperceptibly. I have observed apparently still okay cream curdle many times when I have added a splash to a hot cup of coffee or tea.

6 Likes