What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Leftover pork rib , white beans with tomato, zucchini. What was fabulous about this meal is the drizzle of my newly purchased California olive oil reserve. I ordered another bottle. Cheers .

14 Likes

Thai inspired beef-eggplant curry with beef chuck braised in coconut milk and beef stock with a paste made out of ginger, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, lemongrass and key lime leaves. Added sautéed eggplants for the last 20 minutes and finished with fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, puréed cilantro, thai basil and quickly fried garlic

14 Likes

Really felt like antipasto last night, so I picked up a bunch of stuff from the Italian market. It doesn’t count unless it’s on a wood board, right?

IMG_20220109_202835_063

17 Likes

Some years ago, dh modified a Farber rotisserie so we could roast by coals on the hearth. Last night, tri tip.

Smashed potatoes, sour cream and scallions, mushroom saute.

21 Likes

The symmetry of your crusts is a thing of beauty. Does your H toss the dough in the air like a pro or is there another method to getting those great rounds? My dough always looks like a toddler shaped it.

2 Likes

Yes!!! Awesome show.

1 Like

Tonight the kiddo and I made pasta with our extruder and I made Japanese tantanmen. It was tasty, but I think I prefer the Beijing original. I ran into a problem with my Tetrapak of Silk “original” soy milk. It still has a faint vanilla flavor that didn’t work in a savory application. I remade it with evaporated milk instead.

Side was fennel steamed and sauteed with soy sauce and black vinegar. Purchased creme brulee for dessert.

17 Likes

Brazilian shrimp and fish stew, aka Moqueca, from ATK’s recipe. The combination of tomato and coconut is interesting, although the coconut flavor was muted by all the other ingredients. I subbed salmon for the cod they suggest and skipped the pepper relish in favor of some hot sauce and pickled jalapeños, but otherwise followed their recipe. Quite delicious and a good way to use up lackluster frozen salmon. Served with a quick green salad, but would have preferred a big slab of sourdough bread!

15 Likes

Chicken/chorizo guisado i made yesterday with tons of veg: green beans, peas, carrots, diced tomatoes, jalapeno, onions, cilantro, potatoes, in homemade chicken broth with oregano, smoked paprika, & bay leaves. Rice & tortillas, and a green salad with some very questionable avocado (you’re welcome, no pic!)

17 Likes

that looks wonderful. a favorite dish I’ve never made.

that looks great - both the noodle dish and the side!

1 Like

I made tacu tacu tonight. Will make it again. https://www.piscotrail.com/2011/04/06/recipes/tacu-tacu-peruvian-refried-beans-and-rice/

4 Likes

Thanks for the link! Must try.

1 Like

Homemade General Tso’s Chicken using a recipe from Joshua Weissman (YouTube). MSG involved.

This after a trip to H-Mart which included picking up a bunch of goodies and even our first wok!

18 Likes

Tex Mex tacos for dinner last night - really hit the spot. Even used Pace Picante sauce for the authenticity cred lol :upside_down_face: Oh ground
turkey though…

15 Likes

First of all Happy New Year to everybody!! My mom treated me with delicious Vegetarian Pulao (Rice mixed other vegetable such as carrots,peas,paneer,corn,onion and tomatoes, cooked on slow flame .It was accompanied by some delicious raita and mint chutney :yum:

12 Likes

Welcome! That sounds delicious.

2 Likes

No shame in that. Asian folks use it like salt. I remember as a little girl sneaking small tastes of it (not that my mom would’ve been upset).

3 Likes

i have some too! and i too remember we had some in the house as a kid and I’d sneak tastes of it. haven’t yet used this one that i bought quite some time ago for some reason…

2 Likes

More info please. I always think of au jus as the braising liquid leftover from the roasted meat. But you guys grilled your brisket I think at the bnb? So then how does one make an au jus that isn’t just warmed beef broth?

1 Like