What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Comfort food. I finally made it to the grocery store yesterday (a gorgeous sunny day) so no more leftovers for awhile. Fried pounded and breaded chicken thighs, garlic, sour cream mash and gravy. Salad of mixed baby greens, romaine, mushrooms, pickled beets, red onion, orange mini bell and honey mustard dressing. There was a Manhattan before and wine with. Warms the blood, don’t cha know.

15 Likes

Pan sauteed chicken legs topped with grated cheetos . Brocolli and polenta cakes. Cheers.

12 Likes

Kedgeree with smoked trout, hardboiled egg, parsley, nutmeg, sour cream

11 Likes

What’s everyone doing for NYE?

We had been invited to a moderately sized gathering by a good friend but declined because of the surging variant. We then decided to keep it to the three of us and invite just one friend. As it happens, the friend we invited backed out because of a Covid surge at her job, the person who originally invited us ended up canceling his entire gathering, and yesterday I tested positive with an at-home test. Its bad at my job right now too. Mom and BF are negative and aside from slight congestion I feel alright. She is fully vaxxed and boosted, while he and I are one shot in. Actually had a day or two of mild headache and back ache but have yet to hit a fever.

Anyway, we are going to trudge along with a full menu and sit distanced from each other and mask while cooking. Feels odd in my own home but whatever.

Tonight’s menu is ambitious and I doubt we will eat all of it. But we’ll roll out one or two at a time until we’re stuffed.

Not bummed at all about being home on NYE. I’ve always preferred to not be on the roads with all the drunks and amateurs who just paid exorbitantly for some underwhelming pre-fixe “experience”. But no offense to anyone!

I will try to enjoy myself. Hell, I won’t be going to work for at least five days!

15 Likes

Your menu is wonderful! Enjoy as you make your way through the courses.

I’m doing something similar: Spanish Tapas for One. Sangria is the libation (and yea, I’ve started to libate!), and I had an early afternoon Scooby Snack. Will post when everything has been consumed.

8 Likes

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your menu looks pretty ambitious. Personally I would go straight to the pigs in blankets - one of my top favorite dishes. Have a happy one!

1 Like

It’s not New Year’s without pigs in blankets!

3 Likes

Enjoy! Looking forward to your pics!

I’ll be mixing a martini very soon. I want one now but gotta stretch this out until midnight!

1 Like

Ugh. Sorry about your positive test. We drove out to Flushing to pick up some fancy Chinese food, which I will be eating well into next week! It’s a lot of food.

3 Likes

Chinese was almost tonight for us too, but we had it Christmas Eve and we usually order it weekly so we are taking a little break!

If I order in, it’s Chinese nine times out of ten. And I also cook it a lot at home. Very fond of Chinese food.

4 Likes

There’s nothing else worth ordering out. Chinese and pizza, and I’m not a huge pizza guy. Anything else I or my BF can cook, though we have been making our own Chinese dishes of late (still never quite the same).

1 Like

I got to a very good place with mapo tofu, and squid with fermented black beans. My fried rice is a work in progress. But now I have a quart of rice to practice on!

I can order pretty much any kind of food, but most of it (sushi, for instance) doesn’t travel well. Indian works.

2 Likes

The west coast is already indulging. Bombay Sapphire Gibson with tipsy onions on the rocks. Sauce steeping for mini penne, will post later. Will I last until midnight to pop my sparkling wine? We shall see.

1 Like

We’re staying in due to COVID as well - we are basically the only people in our friend group who don’t have it! Also doing a little appetizer smorgasbord- Buffalo wings, smokies in bbq sauce, crudités and pizza dip. Maybe some dark chocolate for dessert. I doubt we’ll make it to midnight!

3 Likes

If you have a positive Covid test, drinking alcohol might not be the best thing to do as alcohol weakens your immune system and can lead to more severe side effects of covid - especially if not fully vaccinated with a booster

4 Likes

Here’s our cocktails:

And there’s Martini & Rossi Asti for midnight.

7 Likes

I did consider that, but had 2 drinks last night and was okay. I am not planning on going overboard tonight. Thank you for the concern, I appreciate it. Hoping all will be OK.

3 Likes

Lively, artsy photo!!

2 Likes

Comfort food was needed last night to go with our frigid, snowy weather. Pork chop, roasted garlic mash, country gravy, broccoli, cauliflower, and petite peas. Did the trick.

12 Likes