What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Sounds like fun!!

2 Likes

hah. it’s fun for a minute, but by the fourth day I’m all, “I HATE DOGS” and my sister, the dog boarder, says, “Yeah, I’m really not a dog person.” :rofl:

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yeah, that’s a lot of :poop: .

3 Likes

Chicken thigh with mushroom-shallot-dry vermouth-cream sauce. Planned to serve with broccoli but no broccoli. Did I eat it already? Forget to buy it? Miss it in the veggie drawer?? Who knows, at that point I only had time for frozen peas.

18 Likes

I made a vegetarian (soy) chorizo stew with collard greens, fire-roasted tomatoes, potatoes, butter and cannellini beans, carrots, parsnip, etc. It was pretty good. Served with purchased multi grain loaf. I brought the same meal to our friends who are recovering, along with a mini loaf of gingerbread cake.

19 Likes

This week’s steak: NY Strip (medium rare tonight!) with roasted baby potatoes and a persillade on the side. This sauce is a quick fix, featuring parsley, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. It brings out the flavor of an herb normally used as a garnish. I liken it to a French chimichurri. Better used during the summer, but it brings a nice pop of freshness.

There was vodka.

19 Likes

BF on a roll - tonight he made his own ramen, using fresh noodles from the Asian store, my chicken stock blended with miso and a bacon bouillon cube - GENIUS. the broth was only second to the beautiful thin slices of smoky pork belly i picked up. And all the other accoutrements, including his (very) runny, soy marinated egg that we split. Especially great on a cold, rainy day.

21 Likes

holy cow… swooning.

1 Like

never mind the peas, that sauce!

3 Likes

The shock has worn off so now I’m looking forward to it. These are not entrenched traditions, just “new” traditions that were born out of the passing of my father four years ago in an attempt to change things up.

I never was 100% right with not cooking on Christmas Day but it was less stress for mom in the circumstances. But we are all fine with how things panned out.

Chinese food and a pitcher of martinis on Christmas Eve it is!

10 Likes

Air fried boneless skinless chicken breasts. :neutral_face:

13 Likes

Schmorgurken-Curry - schmorgurken are a special type of cucumbers quite popular in Germany which are less watery and can be braised (schmoren in Germany). We haven’t found such “braising cucumbers” in the US but you can also use regular cucumbers. This curry included ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, turmeric, lime zest and juice in vegetable stock and coconut milk. Served over rice and yoghurt-mint dip and some nut mixtures for texture.

15 Likes

I’m curious about that hard-to-find cucumber variety. Would pickling cucumbers, with seeds removed, be a close approximation? I often need ways to use extra cucumbers when we have a lot in the summertime.

2 Likes

Rain in the morning. (Way better than that other 4-letter word!)
Dentist for a cleaning.
Stupidmarket and liquor store for last minute pickup.
Crazy in both stores.
Home.
Until after the holiday. :+1:

Decided dinner during my errands: steak and Monterey Jack cheese calzone with caramelized onions and minced Cubano peppers I had in my freezer. Forgot to egg wash the calzone before sprinkling on the grated Parm-Reg, but it was still good.

Wine.

Also, pics of 4 medium sweet onions reduced to caramelized in about 45-50 minutes. Sone used in the calzobe; the rest fed my freezer.

18 Likes

Salt fish fritters.

20 Likes

I have never really looked into pickling cucumbers. “Braising cucumbers” in Germany tend to have quite thick, yellow-greenish skin and overall thicker and shorter than your regular cucumber. I tried to find anything about different botanical names but the information are quite confusing. Overall you can easily use regular cucumbers (and I will try pickling cucumbers in the future)

2 Likes

Chicken thighs, carrots and onions roasted in a honey mustard sauce. Cabbage slaw with golden raisins and sunflower seeds. There was wine.

19 Likes

Pie no way in hella

8 Likes

Same dinner again - still delicious!

2 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like