What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Make-room-in-the-fridge-for-brunch-stuff cabbage, sauerkraut and shiitake mushroom soup. Also leftover lasagna, but microwaving it made it spread out on the plate, so it did not look very appetizing. Hence, not pictured.

cabbage soup

14 Likes

I beg to differ. And I learned about a new tuber!

2 Likes

We are having a very non-Christmas Christmas this year - the kid-toting half of the family is missing again (COVID-related visa delays, flight schedule disruptions, and all those fun things), so it doesn’t feel a bit like Christmas.

Plus our plate is overly full with an impending move for my parents, so no one is thinking about much else.

Anyway… Others went out to run critical errands, so I made dinner - Penang curry and rice.

Vegetarian - broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, shallots, and a bit of paneer instead of tofu.

Non-vegetarian - we had some gorgeous pink shrimp delivered earlier, so I marinated (garlic & chili) and pan-fried them and served on the side because I thought the curry would muddy their flavor. They were so tasty, I’m glad they were separate!

No pics because… I forgot (and I was pretty tired).

Merry Christmas to all celebrating!

Our Christmas lunch tomorrow will be the “traditional” one, as if the kids were here - their favorite meal: DIM SUM! Hahahahahaha (We have to have it or they will be very unhappy when we video chat - bad enough they can’t eat it, they want to make sure someone does!)

14 Likes

Thank you. I had no idea what a yacon was nor that I had them until I went back to check the list that came with the box. It was very nice. Now I hope I can find it in a store.

1 Like

Deconstructed oysters Rockefeller, cod and crab with mushrooms and white wine, Waldorf with some gifted apples and grapes, oysters with onions, bacon and gruyère.

Merry Christmas!

14 Likes

We had new carpet installed on our top floor a couple of days ago, and Mrs. P was too exhausted to cook anything for Christmas, (from all of the heavy furniture moving back and forth). We decided to order our favorite dishes from Don Pepe II, which inadvertently turned out to be a feast of the seven fishes (lobster, shrimp, crab, scallops, mussels, clams, and calamari) :grinning: We enjoyed seafood stuffed avocado and lobster, as well as paella Valenciana (which we will mainly eat tomorrow). It all went great with an outstanding Oakville Napa cabernet. I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas.

14 Likes

Christmas Eve consisted of dirty martinis, Chinese food, and the 1984 version of “A Christmas Carol”. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

The scallion pancake appetizer was done in my new air fryer!

As always, the cat was in trouble…

19 Likes

I like the look on the cats face . Well are you going to serve me a drink . Or are we over this . Lol .

2 Likes

Love your kitty.

1 Like

Manicotti with a filling of salsicce, carrots and tomatoes baked on a bed of spinach with bechamel (not the most photogenic food but very tasty)

18 Likes

My Christmas Eve dinner was left over gumbo with the other half of the crab, slaw and warm baguette. And wine. And there was butter, lots of butter.

16 Likes

Snacky feast of three fishes: salmon roe and cream cheese on endive leaves with lemon juice, hot smoked steelhead trout (thanks @small_h!) with spicy remoulade and crackers, fabulous smoked cod liver (thanks @naf!) on nori and crackers, way too salty gravlax with sour cream on nori.

Leftover gravlax going into scrambled eggs and/or a salad to try to deal with the excess saltiness.

16 Likes

“Give me the martini olive, and no one gets hurt.”

7 Likes

Inspired. I’m putting this one into my idea bank, with a tip of the (Santa) hat to you. Snacky Feast of the Fishes might have to happen here way before Christmas Eve rolls around again.

3 Likes

I’ve done it different ways the last 3 Christmas Eves. Always tasty and fun. Splurgy but not over the top. Works for NYE too.

4 Likes

Son and family for Christmas Eve. Standing rib (turned out too rare), Yorkshire (not enough), roasted carrots, baked yams (kids loved.) Then the croquembouche that son and kids put together earlier in the afternoon. They filled, he glued. A little messy but delicious. He said, “Next year make a double batch”.
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 7.44.31 PM

16 Likes

Looks like a towering success. Yum!

Actually, a couple of hours later we noticed that it was the Leaning Tower! Still, “ate well”.

4 Likes

For Thanksgiving I served smoked salmon and cream cheese on endive leaves. People liked it. It’s an idea I first came across in Madrid.

4 Likes

I love these and can eat an embarrassingly large number of them!

2 Likes