What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

That sounds good, and I LIKE that pasta shape!

Is that butter cascading over the beef? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks again.

Have a lovely weekend too.

1 Like

On this particular occasion we stuck with our own meals, though we each did try each other’s food. But we have done family style in the past.

1 Like

Thanks, Christina. I made it about 15 minutes into the podcast. Basta humor about pasta. I love bucatini and have no trouble getting a strand coiled then stabbed onto my fork. They spoke a lot about how different shapes accepted and held sauce, which is true, but never mentioned that quality of pasta, i.e., slick finished vs bronze cut which gives a rougher surface, has more effect on sauce ‘stickability’. So, takeaway for me is that I hope a lot of people listened to that sequence so there’ll be more bucatini for ME!

4 Likes

The last dinners were unusual. Wednesday, I’ve attended a pastry workshop, got some cakes to bring home, and I made a mistake to have reserved some extra pastries on the same day! We had a sweet dinner. (Well, with a bit of leftover paella I made the night before.)

Thursday, I’ve to use up the buckwheat galettes brought by my neighbours from Brittany.
Made a grilled mackerel, horseradish, leek galette with some tomatoes on the top, and the other was more classic, slices of bacon, chorizo with goat cheese, some onion, pickles and egg.

Yesterday, we skipped dinner, as we had a big 3-hour lunch (will talk about that in a separate post). I had some fruits before going to bed.

20 Likes

That’s funny. Me, too.

Slept WAY in today after yesterday’s booster shot made me tired.

Zoinked out the boyz on their kitty-nipped banana and pepper before their supper.

Errands and then Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast for my first real fall meal. Boiled Yukon Golds and fat carrots were the sides. Plus wine.

And I’m gonna pre-hate on Daylight Savings Time. I wish it would be abolished.

18 Likes

What is @REGULARSCOOKING ?

1 Like

Thanks, though I have to admit this one was planned according to what I had in the freezer :joy_cat:

2 Likes

But it is how envision using it that shows your global reference.

3 Likes

More cooking just for me. Another bastard pasta → bucatini, pancetta/pecorino based ersatz carbonara + asparagus. I liked it.
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 4.48.25 PM

16 Likes

My better half prepared dinner while watching football this afternoon - a chicken stew with tomatoes, lots of herbs, vegetables and white beans.

16 Likes

Tonight was simple. Chicken cutlets with some leftover shaved parmesan in the breading. It did not stick well and what remained seemed to melt off. But whatever. It caused no harm. Boiled asparagus and a baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar. Mom always asks, “Why do you have to make a sweet potato even sweeter?” I suppose it’s a fair question but I have no answer.

There was vodka. Chopin on the rocks.

13 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ. We enjoyed an awesome wood fired wagyu strip steak with cauliflower and stilton croquettes, caramelized shallot, and chipotle demi-glace. It had a beautiful char to it. We also enjoyed wood fired U8 Gulf shrimp with chili relleno, peekytoe crab, and guajillo sauce; cracklin’ pork belly with local plum chutney, mirin wine, and five spice syrup, and organic scarlet yams; duck confit and local chorizo sausage; burrata with local beets, empress plum compote, toasted pecans, and aged balsamic vinegar; roasted kabocha squash salad. For dessert we enjoyed an awesome chocolate panna cotta with concord grape coulis, spiced nut toffee crunch, and whipped goat cheese. It all went great with a couple of excellent red wines.

11 Likes

Curried collards!

14 Likes

I like butter and orange marmalade on a baked sweet potato…also on halves of baked winter squash.

5 Likes

No one knows what this heading refers to? I keep seeing it listed as a group icon. Odd. I deleted it since I have no idea why it was listed in my preference.

Are you talking about your earlier post, @Rooster ? The hashtag REGULARSCOOKING? I didn’t see it elsewhere myself.

I’m not sure what to call it. It appears like this: @REGULARCOOKING under a group icon.