What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

It’s my dad’s family dish, probably from my grandmother or great grandmother.

We speculate that it was borne out of economy - adding potatoes makes eggs stretch further than eating just eggs (in india they are not cheap vs vegetables) for a big, hungry family.

It’s usually slightly warm, because the eggs and potatoes have cooled enough to touch, but haven’t spent time in the fridge after cooking.

Eaten with buttered toast or as a sandwich. Oh - and it’s totally mashed up, not cubed or chunky like American potato or egg salad…

2 Likes

It’s based on a Mark Bittman recipe called “Shrimp My Way”. I use different spice blends.

4 Likes

Quick turkey chili with pinto beans, red pepper, tomato salsa and sour cream

14 Likes

Please, tell me more. I have some Spicewalla berbere I need to figure out how to use.

2 Likes

Remember buying this from Asheville!

1 Like

Jumbo prawn curry for dinner - a treat for dad especially, who had a long stretch of eating light, but also for the rest of us.

The classic combination is prawn curry - rice, but I love fresh pav (bread rolls) dipped in the curry too, and luckily we had some left from lunch (I made Pav Bhaji - spicy vegetable mash with buttery griddled bread).

It’s so nice to eat mom’s original versions of dishes I have taught myself to cook over the years - the spicing and balance is always restrained and just right.

20 Likes
2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

What distinguishes her crispy chicken cutlets from everyone else’s?

2 Likes

Cheers!

12 Likes

Looks good, cheers! :clinking_glasses:

Another meal from the NYT’s special section Fast Food - Chickpea Stew with Orzo and Mustard Greens. The recipe ingredients called for specific vegetables but the pre-recipe blurb suggested using whatever you had on hand. I had a bunch of vegetables to use up before they became compost including carrots, celeriac, fennel, turnips, roasted tomatoes, and a bag of mixed braising greens from the CSA. Pressured cooked chick peas are in there somewhere. Instead of orzo I served it over rice (since I had some already cooked) for those who wanted it. I did add 2 pinches of Aleppo Pepper in lieu of the crushed red pepper called for.

15 Likes

Sounds great. How was it?

Please share your secrets. I have this on the menu this week.

No flour dredge.

I made California roll bowls with sushi rice, spicy mixed greens, crab stick, avocado, cucumber, pickled carrot and salad radish, sesame vinaigrette, and furikake. Spicy Sriracha-wasabi mayo drizzled over top. Slovenian white alongside.

18 Likes

ooh i’d like to try this when we finally get Dungenness…

3 Likes

:slight_smile: That is how my mom used to make chicken cutlets. Just egg and then breadcrumbs. I was hoping for something more revelatory!

1 Like

It was fine. Nothing earth shattering but warm, comforting and easily adaptable to what you have on hand.

1 Like

I love this idea!!

1 Like