What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Errand Day.
No surprise that it was bizy bizy bizy on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

I survived Home Depot, CVS, and Market Basket.
I figured I’d be taking my life in my hands if I attempted BJs and Bath and Body Works this afternoon.
I’ll hit them up on Tuesday when I have the day off.

Cleaned the deck of both still-alive herbs and other dead plants and stored away furniture for the winter. We’ll see how well the thyme, rosemary, and parsley remain alive indoors with minimal sunlight in my dining room.

Soaked a couple of large BISO chicken thighs in plain buttermilk for 2 hours, then drained and tossed with some Dixie Fry mix for oven baked fried chicken.

The veg was sauteed green beans, red bell pepper and onions with some Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning with added Aleppo pepper since they removed it, and a bit of s/p.

And wine.

18 Likes

You have been a busy girl, and dinner looks good! I’m not familiar with the Dixie Fry Mix - is it seasoned flour, or do you make a batter out of it? Your post jogged my memory to order some fry mix, which I’ve been meaning to do. :+1: Am familiar with Autry’s from friends in NC; other than tempura type mixes, fry mixes are nearly non existent up here.

2 Likes

DH cooked tonight. We ate late. There was wine and college football. Red wine and dried fruit braised duck legs on buttered egg noodles with parsley…

19 Likes

Looks delish! Did your house smell heavenly?

1 Like

Roasted pork tenderloin with figs

Sort of like this.

16 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ. We enjoyed steak frites with filet mignon, coq au vin, lobster crepes, tuna nicoise, fruit de mer, and the always awesome Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent Spanish Priorat and Argentinian Malbec.

13 Likes

Swoon! Was one of the pictures lobster crepes? I pretty much ate each picture.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: Yes, one of the pictures was lobster crepe. The lobster was so tender.

1 Like

Yes - it smelled great. Since he’s retired, and because of my chronic health issues, husband has become quite good in the kitchen. I’ve schooled him in a lot of things but he takes on complex recipes that I would never have the stamina to execute now. He has degrees in engineering and mathematics, takes things quite literally, so it’s been a challenge to teach him to adapt and interpret from the printed word but I persevere.

12 Likes

The fourth picture?

It’s a seasoned flour mix. You can fry in oil or oven bake, and it comes out quite well. I had tried Drake’s Crispy Fry Mix on the recommendation of someone on a food board but was underwhelmed…then again, I had tried Drake’s as a batter vs. the dry mix method, so maybe it would work better that way.

I find the Dixie mix to be nicely seasoned, although one could certainly amp up the heat/spices for more flavor.

2 Likes

That coq au vin looks heavenly!

2 Likes

Thanks for elaborating, may order a couple different kinds.

1 Like

Yes the 4th picture was the lobster crepe. It was filled with chunks of tender lobster meat.

1 Like

It was delicious. Mrs. P doesn’t usually order chicken out but this chicken was so flavorful and juicy, and the sauce was amazing.

2 Likes

What’s for Saturday supper? Dumplings + steamed fresh spinach on the side with a drizzle of sesame oil. (No photo taken this time.)

I bought two kinds of dumplings from Boston’s Mei Mei at the farmers’ market near us. Thumbs up for their lemongrass pork dumplings. Didn’t care for the cheddar scallion potato ones. Quality ingredients in both but I think the texture of the potato gets too stodgy because the dumplings are so generously filled.

Will repeat variations on dumplings + greens for future dinners. Easy and fun so sharing the idea here.

5 Likes

not a link, but copied and pasted from my reply to Sasha…

This is my favorite red enchilada sauce.

6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
16 medium dried guajillo chilies (or combo) (about 4 ounces)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, fresh ground
3 2⁄3 cups meat broth (beef, poultry or fish depending the use of the sauce) (can sub beer for part of the liquid)
1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, approximately, depending on how salty the broth
1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, approximately

Set a heavy ungreased skillet or griddle over medium heat, lay the unpeeled garlic on the hot surface and let it roast to a sweet mellowness, turning occasionally until soft when pressed, a few small spots will blacken, about 15 minutes. Cool, slip off skins and roughly chop.

While the garlic is roasting break the stems off chilies, tear chilies open and remove seeds, for the mildest sauce remove all stringy light colored veins. Finish and remove garlic if you haven’t done so. Toast the chilies a few at a time on your medium-hot skillet. Open them flat, lay them on the hot surface skin side up and press flat with a metal spatula (if the temperature is right you will hear a faint crackle), then flip them and do the same (If you press them just long enough they will have changed to a mottled tan underneath, a wisp of smoke is OK but any more than that they are burnt).

Transfer chilies to a bowl and cover with hot water and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, pour off all water and discard.

In a food processor or blender add chilies, garlic, oregano, pepper and cumin, add 2/3 cup of the broth and process to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds (In a blender you may need to add a little more broth until everything is moving). With a rubber spatula, work the puree through a medium mesh strainer into a bowl, discard skins and seeds left in the strainer.

Heat oil in a medium-sized pot (4 quart) over medium heat, when hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply add the puree all at once. Cook stirring constantly, as the puree sears, reduces and darkens to an attractive earthy brick red paste, usually about 7 minutes, taste it: You’ll know it is done when it has lost that harsh raw-chili edge.

Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. If the sauce has thickened past the consistency of a light cream soup, add more broth. Taste and season with salt and sugar - Salt to brighten and focus the flavors, sugar to smooth any rough or bitter chili edges.

Covered and refrigerated the sauce will last about a week. If you freeze it you will need to re-boil it to bring back the lovely texture.

Other chilies you can use - An equal amount of New Mexico chillies can replace the quajillo, the sauce will not be as full flavored; a chipotle or two adds complexity.

I don’t know where I got this from originally but it’s my go-to now. it may seem like a lot of steps but it’s a nice rainy-day project. and i’ve tried others, but again, this is my favorite. whatever you choose, though, I’d just say stay away from recipes that add tomato.

14 Likes

I’ve never been interested in that, but I am now!

3 Likes

Wow…….let me first say my thumb is literally tired from scrolling thru all those delicious meals guys!!! Just having returned from our annual family junket to our “home away from home” Aruba, We had a hankering for some home cooked - stomach warming meal to welcome us home.

Big ole’ pot of Sunday gravy, pork sausage, boneless short rib, my Nana’s meatballs and some stuffed eggplant parmigiana. (Extra pot and tray going to my father in law’s tomorrow).

To go for the family. Always remember Michael, family first.

Sign of peace in paradise

The last sunset for now……

23 Likes

Peace, yes, always a good thing! :v:t2:Happy you had a nice getaway and safe return. Food looks great, as always, I think your peeps are well fed.

1 Like