What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Looks and sounds amazing

Had a lovely day with my sister in the Newburyport/Rowley, MA area with shopping, antiquing, and fooding. A fun and funny/teasing chat with the owner of the antique store we went to.

What was a beautiful late fall day turned into a very quick moving storm: thunder and lightning for me up north of Boston after I got home, a tornado warning for her on the South Shore that required her to take cover in her basement. Thankfully nothing happened in her immediate area. I hope anyone in the NY, RI, CT, and MA area in the path of this quick storm remained safe.

Dinner decided when I was driving home: Fettuccine Carbonara with a side of green beans that needed to be used up. Used a couple of thick slices of bacon instead of guanciale as it’s what I had.

Wine.

And a picture of a “VW Bug” on the lawn of the antique store that the owner had bought for himself after the artist had passed away awhile back. My sister and I fell in love with it.

18 Likes

Looks like fun! I had 5 brothers, but never a sister. Always wondered what that relationship could have been like, but I did grow up with a few female cousins. Not close anymore.

Barnstable County had tornado warnings and we still have wild wind and rain in Eastham. But still have power on the outer Cape.

2 Likes

Was wondering how the Cape fared…glad to hear you still have power.

2 Likes

It’s still howling’ !!! We live on a beach road in the pinewoods just around the corner from the bay. We’re at sea level, and it can get very primal here. Screen doors are bangin’ and our Aussies don’t want to go out but it’s not cold and we have plenty of wine…

3 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ including poached lobster in a lobster bisque sauce; rack of lamb with excellent bread and butter bread pudding; endive, honey crisp apple, and Roquefort cheese salad. It all went great with an excellent 2009 cabernet.

9 Likes

It’s a broccoli and langostino red curry over rice noodles. Some fresh herbs on top would have worked great, but none in the house. Made a simple dinner because granola was simultaneously being baked in the oven and stirred every 15 min.

15 Likes

Linguine alfredo with shrimp. Toasted ancient grains baguette, green salad with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, o&v dressing. Wine. Gorgeous day on the Oregon coast.

17 Likes

Worked late tonight so a simple offering of Costco rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes, and spinach. No pics of the plating, but here’s my cat trying to poach. He doesn’t eat a lot of people food but he LOVES Costco chicken. And quite frankly so do I, because it means I don’t have to cook!

Also on the side was fried asparagus. This Thanksgiving, make sure you have these on your table. Oh hell, who am I kidding? They won’t even make it to your table! Great to snack on while cooking everything else! (Goes well with a garlic aioli, by the way).

To drink: a couple of spiced cherry Manhattans. Picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Honestly, there is a marked difference between using rye and bourbon. Most use bourbon, including myself, though the original recipe is for rye. Delicious!

19 Likes

Clams! (I got a clam knife)
IMG_0455
Bouillabaisse! (there’s clams in here too! also sole and shrimp and a shit ton of parsley, because mine has gone nuts).
IMG_0457

22 Likes

Chicken Tacos (thighs marinated overnight in orange/lemon/lime juice with turmeric, onion and garlic powder then grilled) with a raw tomatillo/cilantro/chile/garlic/avocado/lime salsa.

And a salad from roasted radish and asparagus, and arugula with a olive oil, parsley, garlic, burnt lemon vinaigrette

20 Likes

Glad to use the last overdue vegetables in the fridge. Made this pork roast, with turnips, carrots and onions, rosemary, white wine, chicken broth and Roman salt. Browned everything before tossing the pot in the oven for 1 hour. I don’t remember when and why I got this Roman salt, maybe it was a gift for buying other stuff. Anyway, the salt contains dried parsley, thyme, oregano, celery, pepper, and ginger. Worked well with the dish.

21 Likes

Gorgeous roast and vegetables, @naf. Yum!

Is that a Staub Dutch oven in the photo? I meant to thank you and @aussieshepsx2 for your advice to me when I was asking about Staub last year. Originally I wanted one for no-knead bread. I waited and waited until I was able to buy one at a great sale price. My Staub Dutch oven has now become my favorite piece of cookware, on both stovetop and the oven.

4 Likes

Glad you love your dutch oven and enjoy using it! How’s your bread making?

Yes, it’s the 6.75 qt oval pot on the photo, my first cast iron dutch oven. Mine is a matt black one, with a brass knob. This summer when I tried to make bread with the external forno and put the pot next to the fire, the pale yellow brass knob changed its colour to an antique brass / bronze colour probably due to the high heat, which I like much more.

1 Like

LOL, maybe don’t ask me yet. I tried a couple loaves last winter. My results were just okay. Going to give it another try as the colder months set in here.

3 Likes

@pilgrim is the queen of no knead bread, hers are always beautiful.

3 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

Take a look at Kenji’s lastest take on no-knead, or low-knead, bread.
Low-Knead Bread

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks. Hadn’t seen that.

1 Like