What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Thanks, though I have to admit this one was planned according to what I had in the freezer :joy_cat:

2 Likes

But it is how envision using it that shows your global reference.

3 Likes

More cooking just for me. Another bastard pasta → bucatini, pancetta/pecorino based ersatz carbonara + asparagus. I liked it.
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 4.48.25 PM

16 Likes

My better half prepared dinner while watching football this afternoon - a chicken stew with tomatoes, lots of herbs, vegetables and white beans.

16 Likes

Tonight was simple. Chicken cutlets with some leftover shaved parmesan in the breading. It did not stick well and what remained seemed to melt off. But whatever. It caused no harm. Boiled asparagus and a baked sweet potato with butter and brown sugar. Mom always asks, “Why do you have to make a sweet potato even sweeter?” I suppose it’s a fair question but I have no answer.

There was vodka. Chopin on the rocks.

13 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ. We enjoyed an awesome wood fired wagyu strip steak with cauliflower and stilton croquettes, caramelized shallot, and chipotle demi-glace. It had a beautiful char to it. We also enjoyed wood fired U8 Gulf shrimp with chili relleno, peekytoe crab, and guajillo sauce; cracklin’ pork belly with local plum chutney, mirin wine, and five spice syrup, and organic scarlet yams; duck confit and local chorizo sausage; burrata with local beets, empress plum compote, toasted pecans, and aged balsamic vinegar; roasted kabocha squash salad. For dessert we enjoyed an awesome chocolate panna cotta with concord grape coulis, spiced nut toffee crunch, and whipped goat cheese. It all went great with a couple of excellent red wines.

11 Likes

Curried collards!

14 Likes

I like butter and orange marmalade on a baked sweet potato…also on halves of baked winter squash.

5 Likes

No one knows what this heading refers to? I keep seeing it listed as a group icon. Odd. I deleted it since I have no idea why it was listed in my preference.

Are you talking about your earlier post, @Rooster ? The hashtag REGULARSCOOKING? I didn’t see it elsewhere myself.

I’m not sure what to call it. It appears like this: @REGULARCOOKING under a group icon.

Diwali dinner party at my GF’s house last night, the first since the pandemic, and the first since her mother died. This was my friend’s first time making the celebratory food of her country totally on her own, without her mom by her side. She did an amazing job, and we toasted the memory of her mama.

Menu: red dal coconut soup to start, mattar paneer w/tomato onion gravy; aloo gobi, a dish called kadhi to eat w/rice; rice w/ghee, caramelized onions and cashews. Dessert was a thick, slightly sweetened yogurt dish with saffron, and sweets I picked up at the Indian grocery.

24 Likes

Love ladoo! Wonderful celebratory meal,wow.

1 Like

I planned a couple of treats for our Saturday night meal. Avert your eyes if you don’t like mushrooms, though.

First up is fresh mushroom ravioli from Valicenti Pasta Farm. Sauced with Fat Moon Farm lion’s mane, oyster, and shiitake mushrooms that I spiked with preserved truffle butter.

So beige. So delicious.

Not pictured is a salad of baby greens and the very last plum tomato of the season.

For dessert I made a plum torte inspired by the popular The New York Times recipe. I needed to use overripe end-of-season plums from our fall CSA share. For me this cake is the only answer. My husband wanted ice cream to go with, though the cake is lovely on its own.

20 Likes

What a great idea. Do you enjoy the collards on their own or pair them with another dish?

Always looking for new to me ways to prepare and enjoy greens.

2 Likes

I tried to look at that, but like Linda, couldn’t find anything on it. If you see that again, let me know.

1 Like

Def will.

And gomen wat! Even if you don’t make injera, the Ethiopian prep is still terrific!

1 Like

I do enjoy these on their own, maybe with a bit of rice, but I plan to serve them tonight with tri tip. Here’s the recipe I started with.

5 Likes

Thank you for the link to the curried collards recipe! Collards have an assertive flavor profile to me so I’m interested in preparations where that taste won’t overwhelm the dish.

1 Like