What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Thank you for the compliment. A classic staple …

Wow ! Patience. I will post it as soon as I have a chance.

@small_h

Recipe for Basque Creamed Garbanzo (Chick Pea) Soup Recipe …

1. Soak the chickpeas overnite (1/2 kilo for 2 so we have it the next day too)

2. 1 Large Onion or 1 Large Spring Onion diced finely

3. 1 Leek diced finely after removing the green part and the 1st layer of the stalk of the leek

4. 1 extra large Potato peeled and diced finely

5. Place all of the above in a pot to sauté in Extra virgin olive oil

6. Add salt of choice and freshly ground black peppercorns

7. Add water just to cover the concoction

8. Low simmer until all is tender

9. Take the soaked beans and rinse with fresh water and put in a 2nd pot and simmer on medium until tender …

10. Now, add the pimentón de La Vera, smoked paprika, salt to taste, a drizzle of Evoo, freshly ground black pepper, and a Basque Esplette chili pepper whole and when the legumes (beans) are tender, combine the 2 in a food processor or blender in batches.

11. The potato shall provide the creamy texture (cow milk intolerance) …

12. At the end, place the beans and the vegetables together and re-adjust salt and black pepper and pimentón and combine thoroughly to a thick creamed consistency.

Now for those who are carnivorous, one can place cubed pancetta in a sauté skillet and fry in Evoo until the interiors are tender and exteriors crisp and decorate your creamed soup on top.

Serve with oven warmed bread (baguette) and a glass or 2 of wine. I would go with a light red or white depending on preference.

Enjoy.

9 Likes

Have a no idea what Trader Joe´s … I live in Barcelona !!!

I believe it is membership required and a large wholesaler and retailer like MAKRO ESPAÑA.

We go to Makro once a month … As it is not walkable …

No, you’re thinking of Costco. Trader Joe’s is just a (very popular) store.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a California based supermarket chain that made its way to the East Coast of the U.S. some years back. The stores are small, they’re known for their very attentive staff who are treated very well by corporate. They’re known for their low prices, high quality, and unique offerings, often selling local-to-that-store products. They’re big on selling natural products and organic produce. About 75% of their items are private label, so they can branch out and sell things you wouldn’t usually find in a larger supermarket chain.

I personally wouldn’t use it as my exclusive supermarket, but they’re great as a “fill in the gaps” market.

2 Likes

Thank you. Got it.
None on the Iberian Peninsula …

Thank you for the information.

None here on the Iberian Peninsula.

You are welcome.

Enjoy one of our classic family soup recipes.

Very late lunch cum early dinner yesterday of mustard-zhoug steamed salmon (don’t scream but I topped a frozen fillet with the mixture, covered it, and steamed in the IP using the Yogurt->Boil function a few times… umm… yes), leftover spinach and moong beans, and rice+quinoa.

Very lazy for a day of gross fridge cleaning… and still, tasty.

Went out late for wine and snacks.

11 Likes

It’s pizza night: pancetta, mushroom and spinach pie.

Cherry tomatoes were roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper and some sprigs of thyme. After draining the excess liquid, it was whirled in a mini food processor with roasted garlic and some tomato paste for a sauce.

Pancetta cooked and drained.
Sliced mushrooms cooked in pancetta fat and removed.
Spinach sauteed for all of 30 seconds in a bit of olive oil and removed.

Half a Portland Pie Company pizza dough ball stretched on oiled parchment, toppings added, including mozzarella and Parm-Reg and the parchment slid onto a pre-heated pizza stone in a 450° oven and cooked for 10 minutes.

Wine.

18 Likes

Creamed corn with Slavic bow tie pasta. :blush:

13 Likes

I made Melissa Clark’s sweet and spicy roast chicken. I marinated it overnight and reduced the chili flake to be kid friendly. It was fine but I wouldn’t make it again. Many better roast chicken recipes. Served up with ww egg noodles with cottage cheese.

Photo later - it’s on my DH’s phone.

6 Likes

It’s a cold rainy day. I need soup. Seafood soup. Sauteed bacon, mirepoix, added garlic, small red potatoes, sweet red pepper, thyme and crab broth. Just before serving I added frozen corn and shrimp and scallops that I sauteed in butter.
It hit the spot. Sides were a green salad with o&v dressing and garlic bread.

14 Likes

I think i replied to this in the wrong spot - yes, Hop Kiln! They were purchased by Landmark and the tasting room was remodeled (it seemed bigger) but still as lovely. The wines are also, i have to admit, a better quality. But it’s still a lovely place to visit.

Chile rellenos stuffed with chorizo (mixed with cotija), the chorizo made in-house by my local mexi-mart, but in casserole form. I really missed the melty jack cheese in these, and i think i didn’t put enough salt in the batter, or in my salsa (which was the base, and at least was good & spicy). Not bad, just not as good as I’d envisioned. Again, mostly missing that ooey-gooey cheesiness. I couldn’t even finish a whole relleno in any case, too filling.

18 Likes

Rosti potatoes. Potato sausage. These are superb without having to travel to another continent. Locally made and sourced. Taught by his father’s, father from Germany. Eggs sunny side up. Cheers.

15 Likes

The rosti looks super!

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. We enjoyed poached lobster with avocado and grapefruit; crab encrusted halibut with excellent seafood filled arancini; short ribs; excellent homemade mafaldine cacio e pepe; The always excellent baked oysters topped with creamed spinach, and the fabulous charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent red blend and Zinfandel.

15 Likes