What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Green Goddess roasted chicken thigh
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 4.07.02 PM

19 Likes

Mexican chorizo sausages, uncased, crumbled, and sauteed, and orzo - I think this might be my “new” favorite pasta! With sauteed onion, slivered rainbow chard, cherry tomatoes, Roasted Mushroom BTB, tons of parm regg mixed in, and topped with cotija and parsley. Orzo turned out fab - even got a little unintentional but always welcome socarrat. And garlicky toast. it was a very carby day.

20 Likes

18 Likes

Such a busy start to the week between work, teaching, and gearing up for fall spooky fundraisers at the museum. Had all three today, so dinner was leftover pizza from Sunday. Last night was fajitas. No pics. Too tired!

10 Likes

Looks tasty!

I have a stockpile of spanish chorizo (well d’artagnan spanish style) and was thinking just last week that maybe it would be good with pasta - and potatoes (hey - its ok with pesto so why not).

(This may sound weird, but I think orzo has a very odd mouthfeel - slippery? because of the shape maybe… )

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I love about it!

I’ve made Spanish tortilla with Spanish chorizo, but sometimes you have to be careful with it because it can toughen up when heated too much.

2 Likes

Wednesday: Merluza (Wild Hake) … An Oyster Appetiser with a marine lettuce concoction and my dear had the dessert. The Prosecco was extraordinary.

8 Likes

Looks fantastic. Now, do you call that pot roast or stew?

Exceptional …

By whom (besides you) ??? Just curious… :slightly_smiling_face:

I just call it dinner. :grinning:

2 Likes

No one, except for people trying to “own” non-meat eaters.

I made Turkish-manti style rigatoni and a green salad with red wine and pomegranate molasses vinaigrette. It was really tasty. Even finished the huge portion DH plated.

15 Likes

Lol

October has always been hellacious for me because of my paranormal themed classes/lectures being in demand and the museum’s ghostly fundraising events. Oh, and my actual job mixed in.

Tonight was a rare occasion. I got out of work early and had NOTHING to do. So I cooked earlier than normal and ate earlier than normal. In a moment of pure, almost unrecognizable bliss, I made myself a Stoli martini and put Anthony Bourdain on the TV (the Laos episode of No Reservation for no particular reason). It was a moment of pure happiness.

As for food, there was Thai peanut chicken with Jasmine fried rice and kimchi for the start of the New York Rangers season! Not off to a good start as of this posting :rage:. The marinade for the chicken was Mama Sita’s BBQ, soy sauce, peanut butter, rice vinegar, curry powder, and dry vermouth. In the rice was egg, onion, garlic, gochugaru, and a splash of soy sauce. It was outstanding, the kimchi bringing it all together.

20 Likes

Barca, can you describe that oyster treatment for us? It is stunning looking.

Joe’s special morphed into Wu’s Special. Ground PORK, BOK CHOY, eggs, OYSTER SAUCE, SRIRACHI.
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 4.28.03 PM

14 Likes

It’s a Thai curry soup, it’s a Thai curry noodle dish. I meant to do a hybrid between @ChristinaM 's Thai curry soup above and a dish we’d recently had from takeout which was a thick yellow curry that had poached chicken thigh and rice noodles, along with some aromatics. What I actually cooked was tasty enough, but neither resembled the soup in looks nor the curry noodles in flavor. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Besides red curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, stock, noodles, there was also onion, carrot, jalapeno, zukes, bamboo shoots, potatoes, chard, and scallion. I totally kitchen sinked it.

11 Likes

I see you are an extra olives guy!

3 Likes

Forever and always! Inherited that habit from my dad!

2 Likes