What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

hah!
i’m much more of a beach person, so i’ll probably squat at those friends’ house until they kick me out! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Was born on the beach so totally understand!

3 Likes

So husband is up in the woods, so I’m cooking just for me. Like a Joe’s Special. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

13 Likes

what kind of sausage did you use? or is ground beef?

1 Like

When we lived (briefly) in Croatia, we fell in love with a really simple dish - blitva (garlicky potatoes boiled with silverbeet, Swiss chard for us here in the U.S.). BF made a version tonight, though he subbed rainbow chard (using much less than the real deal does) and added cabbage because we have a ton. Sausages leftover from my weekend getaway that never even got opened - garlic/wine. Simples.

13 Likes

Ground beef but sausage is an inspired idea!

1 Like

Manhattan? yes please.

Grilled flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce, fried potatoes, onions and red peppers. Green salad, avocado, tomato, red onion, bleu cheese, ranch dressing. Wine.

11 Likes

Couldn’t think of what to have for dinner other than “fish?”

When in doubt, Indian.
Defrosted a piece of rainbow trout and marinated with chile lime salt and cumin.
Also fished out the sauteed spinach I froze this morning (duh) and broke off a chunk to repurpose as veg.

Decided to try my hand a dish my mom makes but I’ve never actually eaten - dry moong dal with spinach (made up a recipe - I’'ll ask her for the real one tomorrow… I overcooked the dal).

Mixed a tiny bit of dough for chapatis.

Pan-fried the fish, and there was dinner.

(The spinach-moong was SO GOOD! Silly young me for rejecting it in the past…)

10 Likes

Pizza and cheese steak for this at home football Sunday. Next week first tailgate of the year!! Tonight pizza and cheese steak, both Jersey staples!!

10 Likes

That sounds really good!

1 Like

@mariacarmen - your tortilla looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g!!! :yum:

1 Like

Thank you! After making dozens and dozens of them over the years, I think I’m finally getting the hang of it!

2 Likes

@mariacarmen
@pilgrim

Definitely am “coastal” too !

1 Like

A real nice selection … And lovely photos.

Adore the horse !! We are grand fans of horse back riding.

1 Like

Tuesday … Returning home from Cape and lunch out …

10 Likes

Loved your pics. Thanks.
In this stay at home era, it was like a little mini vicarious trip.

3 Likes

Bacon cheeeeeezeburger using a slice of Market Basket’s extra thick-cut hickory-smoked bacon on one of those overly-seeded Martin’s hamburger potato rolls.

Ketchup on the bottom bun is my stand-in for a veg even though tomatoes are technically a fruit.

And the bottom of the bag of some Ruffles tater chips. Oh wait! Potatoes are my veg!

Yup, keeping it healthy and shit with my veg. :wink:

15 Likes

Had a hankering for linguine and clams. We were at the Burlington MA Wegman’s yesterday, which we visit once in a while and got littleneck clams and mafaldini pasta pictured below. I’m going back to get more of the pasta - it was quite toothsome. Clams were good quality, too. Lots of garlic, white wine, crushed red pepper, a small pat of unsalted butter, all swirled together with pasta cooking water and topped with parsley. B went back for seconds.

Preceded by a simple salad of the last of the good tomatoes, local arugula, chickpeas and tahini dressing (too humble for a photo).

18 Likes

Tonight I made steamed dim-sum style pork spare ribs with steamed white rice, asparagus with scallions, ginger, and oyster sauce, and sesame-sriracha slaw. It was really tasty and definitely evocative of dim sum.

18 Likes

Bacon is considered a vegetable

4 Likes