What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Drews. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that might be interested.

4 Likes

The long , long , beef braise. On a wintery day . I like my polenta soft and silky. Cheers . Secret ingredient parmesan rind for the beef.

19 Likes

After a hike we wanted something simple which didn’t take too long - Green bean potato salad (simple vinaigrette of warm vegetable broth, safflower oil, white wine vinegar) with some good sausages from a local butcher

12 Likes

So. Much. Rain. We needed a cozy dinner.

I roasted purple potatoes and Debrecener sausage on a sheet pan. Also tried a vegetable new to us, Brussels sprout tops. I julienned the leaves and sautéed them briefly with a couple of chopped aji dulce peppers and garlic. The tender flowering offshoots from the main stem went into the pan, too.

13 Likes

Are those purple potatoes on your plate? If so, I think that purple potato + locally made sausage night might have happened at our respective homes. Quite the coincidence if it did.

1 Like

Our local community college drama department turns their theater into a haunted house each Halloween. (Last year not withstanding) So since my kids were little we’ve had a Halloween party and it’s now become a fun adult themed event!

Unfortunately our pumpkins were feeling well. This one was throwing up all night.

This one has a terrible nasal congestion (macaroni and sneeze)

Insect infested meat and cheeses

Shrunken mummy heads (Turkey meatballs)

Jack-o-lantern quesadilla

Brain loaf

Mashed Poo-tatoes-( “loaded with bacon”)

Deserts

Apple cider mimosas drink special

20 Likes

THANK YOU!

3 Likes

I dub you the master of the epic feast. Though some of these Halloween creations I can’t unsee. :laughing:

Happy Halloween!

4 Likes

Nope, it has apples, apple cider instead of water, and Calvados brandy. :wink:

8 Likes

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !

15 Likes

Wow - sounds great!

Yes, those are purple potatoes. Where did you buy your sausage ?

1 Like

Karl’s Sausage Kitchen in Peabody, MA is our source for old-world style sausages.

I had forgotten those Debrecener were in our freezer. Last of our stash, which consisted of different varieties. Now we have an excuse to restock.

3 Likes

Ok these are just amazing and amazingly disgusting. Well done :clap:

2 Likes

Creativity and originality … Perhaps a horror film stimulated your descriptions and plating !

Happy Halloween.

1 Like

A little of this and a little of that on a rainy day …

11 Likes

Spiders are not insects.

3 Likes

The kiddo and I made creamy pumpkin soup for dinner. Served with croutons and crusty rolls. Cream-cheese frosted pumpkin cookies for dessert.

13 Likes

Karl’s is always nice - also good German cakes and some decent German style roles in the freezer.

2 Likes

Mr. Sun showed up today with some blue skies, and temps have increased so the heat I turned on Friday night is back off.

My local Hannaford had whole chickens and chicken thighs on sale for $.89/lb. yesterday. So I fed the very full downstairs freezer with one roaster and a package of thighs, and made another roaster tonight.

Meyer lemon halves, rosemary and thyme sprigs inside the cavity, a mixture of fresh Meyer lemon zest, s/p, and minced rosemary and thyme rubbed on top and air-dried in the fridge all day.

Into a 425° oven for 15 minutes, then temp turned down to 350° for the rest of the cooking time (just under 2 hours for the 6.5 lb. clucker).

Some pan drippings and chicken stock with a slurry of flour, s/p, paprika, garlic powder, dried parsley and water made the gravy.

Sides were buttery sour cream and chives mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds. Wine with, and the Patriots won. :football:

A good Sunday.

17 Likes