What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

I wound up binging Squid Game with my brother after all. Head scratcher.
I enjoy D Chang.

1 Like

Tonight I made pork noodle soup, borrowing ideas from Melissa Clark and The Woks of Life. I infused the broth with scallions and ginger and added a little bit of white pepper, rock sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. A small salad on the side of CSA celery, radish, cilantro, and pepper in sesame dressing.

For dessert we’ll be sampling some desserts I made to send to friends in D.C.: food-processor brown butter, brown sugar, and nutmeg pound cakes and cookie bars with white chocolate, pistachio, and dried blueberries.

16 Likes

Beautiful Christina

2 Likes

So - we couldn’t find the empanada frozen wrappers in our own Latin grocery. But a strange thing happened last night. We were driving home from spending FIL’s bday with him. Stopped to grab takeout dimsum in the Seattle outskirts. The kid was feeling a little nauseous, and wanted to go into the next door to dimsum Latin market to look for a ginger ale. Voila empanada wrappers! Not to mention Inka cola - he’s been on the hunt since he tried it at the Coke pavilion at Disney. So an all around win.

9 Likes

Please tell me I’m not the only one whose computer gets inundated with recipes or creative dishes. Today one caught my eye so I decided to try it since it involves one of my sons favorite meals; chicken parmigiana.

Primarily it’s a chicken parm casserole with the chicken baked inside a pan of pasta made with garlic and cream and egg. (I mistook my wax paper for parchment paper so I had to remove the casserole early to remove the wax paper mistake) All in all it was ok, though my son LOVED it. Been there, done that, probably will never make it again. Lol

20 Likes

@Barca pointed out that today is World Pasta Day so I wanted pasta.

Packaged butternut squash ravioli from Trader Joe’s with an improvised sauce using a sautéed leek, slivers of speck, and Point Reyes blue cheese.

This might sound organized but don’t be fooled. :wink: I was using up a little of this and that from the fridge.

17 Likes

Monkfish with more (I really overbought!) maitakes, asparagus and, why not, more vin jaune but without cream this time.
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 5.46.29 PM

15 Likes

I don’t rcv many recipe emails like you but if that dish was inspired from one of them…then sign me up. I have a lemon chicken dish I’ve been procrastinating on…just too unmotivated.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Hey! Introduce the components please. Broccoli, of course; some marinara or cocktail sauce?? A slaw? And the fried/baked :potato: ? Sorry, I’m hungry. I need details. :sob:

1 Like

that soup looks fantastic.

1 Like

Me too. Plus all the chat about piccata had me craving, so chicken piccata with thin spaghetti it was. Caprese salad with the last of the garden tomatoes and garlic bread.

18 Likes

Where’s the drinks? :rage:

Edited to add: Could you give more info on the chicken piccata? I’m toying with a double lemon chicken dish and still pulling in ideas.

1 Like

My liver and kidneys are on a brief hiatus .
Dredged the pounded half chicken breast in seasoned flour and sauteed in oo and butter, set aside. Sauteed shallot and garlic added white wine and once it was reduced added a squeeze of lemon, chicken broth and capers. Oh and more butter to finish.

7 Likes

I’ll beat you into dialysis, amateur! Ready? Go!

:racing_car:….

Ps…thanks for the chicken info. Much of which I’m planning. So, once I post my world famous chicken dish you can legally demand attribution!

2 Likes

Mac & Cheese is very assuaging on the second chilly day when you STILL have no electricity. I used cavateppi, cheddar and gruyere, and i followed the Serious Eats method where you don’t make a roux first. Far be it for me to not want to add butter, but it turned out super smooth and creamy. I toasted panko in butter (there’s the butter quotient!) and we spread that over the top in our bowls. Aidell’s mushroom/bacon/swiss smoked chicken sausage (new favorite - never thought I’d say that about a chicken sausage), and the BF’s sauteed zucchini on the side.

18 Likes

Roast beef and Provolone sub from Jersey Mike’s to eat while watching the Rangers game. Unfortunately there was no win tonight. :rage:

16 Likes

Roast chicken and corn bread stuffing sort of . Could be strata.

19 Likes

Looks great

Brocoli, marinara sauce, meatballs (halved), Greek orzo salad

6 Likes