What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

It’s a cold rainy day. I need soup. Seafood soup. Sauteed bacon, mirepoix, added garlic, small red potatoes, sweet red pepper, thyme and crab broth. Just before serving I added frozen corn and shrimp and scallops that I sauteed in butter.
It hit the spot. Sides were a green salad with o&v dressing and garlic bread.

14 Likes

I think i replied to this in the wrong spot - yes, Hop Kiln! They were purchased by Landmark and the tasting room was remodeled (it seemed bigger) but still as lovely. The wines are also, i have to admit, a better quality. But it’s still a lovely place to visit.

Chile rellenos stuffed with chorizo (mixed with cotija), the chorizo made in-house by my local mexi-mart, but in casserole form. I really missed the melty jack cheese in these, and i think i didn’t put enough salt in the batter, or in my salsa (which was the base, and at least was good & spicy). Not bad, just not as good as I’d envisioned. Again, mostly missing that ooey-gooey cheesiness. I couldn’t even finish a whole relleno in any case, too filling.

18 Likes

Rosti potatoes. Potato sausage. These are superb without having to travel to another continent. Locally made and sourced. Taught by his father’s, father from Germany. Eggs sunny side up. Cheers.

15 Likes

The rosti looks super!

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. We enjoyed poached lobster with avocado and grapefruit; crab encrusted halibut with excellent seafood filled arancini; short ribs; excellent homemade mafaldine cacio e pepe; The always excellent baked oysters topped with creamed spinach, and the fabulous charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent red blend and Zinfandel.

15 Likes

Can you share the name of this shop? Sounds like a destination, at least for me.

And your use of Cotija is interesting. Must try. I usually use Oaxacan. Many thanks.

Saturday night was supposed to be date night, but we both were feeling lazy and didn’t want to bother going out etc. so I decided to cook us a date night. My typical go to-surf and turf. Beautiful tomahawk and a couple pound and a half lobsters. Wanted to get 1 - 3lbs lobster to share, but couldn’t find one, so two smaller ones it was. Brocolini on the side.

21 Likes

amazing! tips on making your rosti?

it’s Evergreen, our little market on Mission near 21st St. Not sure about destination, although they do have a lot of Latin American/South American products…

Cotija is just what we had on hand.

1 Like

Lunch with neighbouring friends. I only had the tuna salad as I had eaten breakfast with my colleagues.

8 Likes

Wow … What an exceptionally extraordinary lobster dish.

Just had a tuna, melon salad today … Had a big breakfast - brunch with colleagues and then a lunch with friends in building – I just could not eat more …

1 Like

Thank you! It was delicious.
Your lunch looks fabulous as well.

1 Like

Ya know, when I’M feeling lazy, I go out to eat!

5 Likes

I had a huge brunch prior to going out for lunch. 2 Meetings close to each other unfortunately.

So this evening a caldo de Jerez (consommé from a Iberian ham bone and Jerez Brandy ! ) That is it. A warmer up !!! Chilly. A true medicinal tradition !!!

3 Likes

After making that post I realized just how much of a catch I am;
I shopped for, paid for, prepared and served the meal!!!

10 Likes

Exactly what do you do when you’re NOT feeling lazy? Throw a multi-course sit-down dinner for twelve? Probably you do.

I don’t entertain that much, but it’s always buffet-style. Partly because there’s no room for a dining table in my apartment, and partly because I’m not so hot at timing things out.

3 Likes

Here we go.

I saved some chicken for tonight’s enchiladas.

13 Likes

:kissing_heart: Alfie & his ear floofs!!!

1 Like

Besides having restaurant leftovers for dinner tonight, Mrs. P made baked empanadas for the first time. They came out nice and crispy and flaky, and were delicious. They were stuffed with butternut squash puree and smoky Andouille sausage.

18 Likes