What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Tell your son that he is the tech support generation. There is a tithe on the kind of culinary support you (and I) provide. Reciprocity is expected.
You, we, do not need Apple support or additional lessons, just their spending quarterly extra hours hanging out on and updating, trouble shooting our assorted devices.

6 Likes

Last night (thought I posted it here but forgot):

Flat iron steak, tomato and avocado salad, and yellow rice. Tuesday has become steak night since I’m out of work early enough to hit the Italian market across the street and I spare myself from having to enter our new Shop Rite and it’s hellacious parking situation.

I was at the liquor store earlier and noticed a large sign for Khor Vodka and saying something to the effect of “3rd most popular Vodka in the world”. But at $18.99 a handle I was skeptical. I nabbed one of those tiny 100 ML bottles for $2 to taste test. And thankfully so because it was awful! Jet fuel! I wanted it on the rocks but needed to add vermouth and some cocktail onions to cut the taste. Had a second drink with Stoli to remind myself what vodka really is! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

15 Likes

Beware of updates. Always wait and read reviews before updating Apple stuff. H’s ipad refused to charge after a recent update, led to a death due to an empty battery. We’re still looking for a tech guy to change the battery as Apple support refused to do anything about it except to sell us replacement ipad.

6 Likes

And now for tonight: Part of my series on “A million and one ways to plate grilled chicken”. Tonight with gnocchi that I crisped in butter and olive oil before tossing with sautéed spinach.

There was an Elderflower Gimlet since I’m off tomorrow.

11 Likes

I realized summer was almost over and I hadn’t had a panzanella salad yet. So that was made (there was basil added after I took the photo) and the entree was, well I don’t know what it was. A bunch of things I cobbled together. Made beef, pork, sausage meatballs. Sauteed carrots, onions and garlic. Added the roasted meatballs, chicken broth, spinach and some other green I picked out of the salad greens and cannelloni beans. Served with grated asiago and parsley. Everything was very good. There was wine with.

13 Likes

I had thought of an odd combination that I wanted to eat for dinner, but it turned out that I am out of stock of the central player.

So, a quick scramble through the freezer, found some shrimp, and put together an equally odd but different combination.

Miso butter shrimp, squid ink spaghetti, and broccoli slaw.

Quite tasty for being odd.

14 Likes

Alone with my poms tonight
So, have to eat up those crabs in the fridge with the poms
Also cooked champarado ( chocolate with glutinous rice)
Champarado is a Filipino chocolate breakfast treat using cocoa powder and or/ chocolate, glutinous rice and sugar drizzled with milk when served. . On a rainy day or in the winter, it would be a lovely breakfast treat or snack. Filipinos like to serve it with tuyo ( dried herring) which is salty to offset the sweetness. I tried it with one piece of tuyo found it is a good combination However, it is not necessary for me to eat it with tuyo the way I prepared it as as I only use 1/2 cup of sugar as opposed to 1 cup suggested in the recipe so it is not very sweet.

17 Likes

And that second sentence is ALL that matters! It looks wonderful!

2 Likes

Garbanzos (chickpeas), a Mediterranean regular on terrace at home.

12 Likes

Another dinner of repurposed leftovers.

We had some hamburgers leftover from some Labor Day entertaining. Luckily I left them uncooked so they were easier to transform. Someone somewhere on HO recently posted a keema dish which inspired me to do the same. I followed a traditional recipe but threw in some leftover zucchini because I had it. A leftover knish from Rosh Hashana dinner stood in for a samosa and the K’MOSA was born.

15 Likes

Knackwurst roasted over leftover apple-y Sauerkraut, served with tots.

16 Likes

I decided to try Smitten Kitchen’s baked feta because everyone can’t be wrong, can they? https://smittenkitchen.com/2021/02/baked-feta-with-tomatoes-and-chickpeas/

I used very ripe regular-sized tomatoes (versus grape/cherry tomatoes called for in the recipe) and it was the perfect accompaniment to halibut and garlicky broccoli rabe. Lots of chopped up jalapeño (definitely could’ve used more) and a mix of mint and parsley.

Only photos of the baked feta, before and after. I should have used both feta blocks that I had.

17 Likes

Kept it simple tonight: spaghetts and sawce, with a healthy schprinkle of grated Parm-Reg and a crusty buttered roll alongside.

No green stuff. No one gotz time for that.

But wine was there. Always gotz time for that.

18 Likes

We had pizza w/onion, ham, and green figs (this is pre balsamic glaze drizzle) and roasted green beans with za’atar. I was chasing the dumb pizza all over the oven with my paddle :slight_smile: I need more practice. It only flops on when I’ve pushed the pizza against the oven walls which is not ideal.

11 Likes

haha - yep, lost of things that are “popular” are quite questionable.

that steak looks phenomenal…

2 Likes

BF still cooking, who am i to complain… He put my Nigel Slater preserved tomatoes over polenta (with plenty of butter & parm reg), with Toulouse sausages and a green salad. The tomatoes were so lovely and sweet…

14 Likes

By volume. Haha. I take it they sell a lot because it’s cheap.

4 Likes

I had defrosted chicken thighs (hence the reading of those threads for inspiration).

But then I got caught up in something and got hungry before I could get around to cooking them.

So… leftovers and a bit more to the rescue. Stuffed okra and the dregs of the chicken from the other day with the rest of the rice.

Still hungry, so bread, butter, and prosciutto from the freezer. (Freezerburn is in full evidence, so the rest of it will be used to cook with.)

12 Likes

Feels like fall, time to bring out the bourbon. A Boulevardire.

It must be chicken thigh and okra night. Large roasted chicken thigh, pan sauce with a splash of cream and whole grain mustard. Corn, okra, onion, red & orange baby bells, sauteed with lots of butter and a green salad with tomato, snap peas, red onion, bleu cheese dressing.

13 Likes

You liked it then? We tried it a few months ago and were all extremely ambivalent about it. I can’t remember why, but I do remember wondering about all the hype. It could be that we mixed it with too much pasta and it was disproportionate.