What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Old weeknight standby: chicken stuffed with Swiss and asparagus, rolled in breadcrumbs and olive oil, and baked. Over slow-cooker risotto.

18 Likes

Of course - and everyone’s tastes vary. I was only commenting to the both of you that the sog factor ruined it for me.

1 Like

I miss my older son fiercely, but I’m happy we can have seafood dinners now without a scowly face. Tonight - mussels steamed with garlic, tomato, spinach, and beer, and a home-made sourdough. Good stuff.

21 Likes

Instead of the 687th time making Northwest grilled salmon, halibut! Sort of oven poached/roasted in tomatoes.

21 Likes

We used to make "tuna melts "on Thomas’s English Muffins. A good memory! I think I might have tried it since.

P.S. I also remember confession and other Catholic Church rituals. But I remember “Bless me father, for I have sinned”,

4 Likes

Each “pizza” is good in its own place, even though not a replacement for the real thing or for another on the list!
Pita pizza
French bread pizza
English muffin pizza
Sandwich bread pizza
Naan pizza
Flour tortilla pizza
and so on

Re soggy - I toast the base on its own first to start it drying out / crisping up, then a light coat of sauce, add cheese, & toast again to melt.

7 Likes

Ooh yum! Thanks for the throwback!

Sorry if it was salty - I guess the type of soy sauce - and whether or not you use fish sauce in the tare - would affect that, I should have made a note of that.

I usually eat with plain rice (& scallions) - so perhaps that provides a foil for the intensity.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree on this one!

I made this exact thing for Spring Onion’s lunchbox today. I use “fancy” English muffins which have a denser crumb than Thomas’ and have a low sog quotient. I look forward to eating his leftovers.

4 Likes

I am anti-sog myself, and the “nooks and crannies” do tend to skew towards soaking up liquid more than other options. Good point about denser crumb, and it reminded me that I forgot:

Bagel pizza aka Bagel bites

4 Likes

Tuesday. Wild and fresh mussels … Always wonderful …

7 Likes

I scratched a powerful itch for mac and ham and cheese tonight. Used both Cabot’s Seriously Sharp cheddar and Wegmans Gruyere. Topping is panko crumbs mixed with my version of a very old McCormick’s dried parsley/garlic blend.

19 Likes

What a great meal!

1 Like

Your bread looks great!

1 Like

My neighbor brings us those back. So good!

1 Like

Thanks! I love being able to make bread. But I have to branch out. I know about 4 types, and I just make them over and over.

Tonight for our dinner I made grilled steaks, creamy mushroom papardelle, and broccoli amandine. The kiddo was really into the pasta despite declaring his dislike for mushrooms. Whatever. I shared my pasta and steak with him.

I also made dinner for two friends who just had babies:

Scalloped potatoes with ham, green salad with fig vinaigrette, tomatoes, cucumber, clementines, pistachios, dried cherries, and croutons, green beans amandine, and key lime pie. They were excited! One of them said, “My family is freaking out about how everything you made tastes like a restaurant.” Which goes to show that newborn sleep deprivation-induced hallucination is real. J/k, it was a very high compliment. My DH made a big loaf of country French bread.

19 Likes

Looks wonderful. Its almost the weekend.

1 Like

Taco Tuesday. Picadillo with all the fixin’s. Ranch style beans. A few Palomas.

Neighbor’s goats came by to trim my ivy, (A kiddley divey too, wouldn’t you?) which was ok, but when they started to nibble on my shrubs it was time to go home, I am not a very good goat herder but I got them home.

20 Likes

First time cooking in a week, i believe. Sister gave me Costco frozen carnitas she didn’t like - they had no seasoning, just cooked. I roasted tomatillos and blended them with roasted garlic BTB, garlic and serrano chilies, added chopped cilantro and scallions, oregano, and a little bit of leftover taco truck salsa. I simmered it a bit too long, pork got a little mushy, but topped with rice, cabbage, crema, onions/cilantro with a tortilla on the side, it was a heavenly mush that we shoveled down.

My trip report, if anyone is interested (be warned: it’s very long.)

18 Likes