What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Wow thanks. I’ve declared open season on BLT sandwiches this week and will give this variation a try too. I cook the bacon in butter and a bit of brown sugar for a slight sweet caramelized goodness. I think it’ll go nicely in the salad too.

Will you use your Kewpie mayo?

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I have this … disorder … I’ll call it, where I don’t like to use/open new things of value. :face_with_thermometer: It usually doesn’t apply to consumables so perhaps I’ll splurge and pull one of the Kewpie bottles out of the floor safe. Perhaps. :tired_face: :pleading_face:

4 Likes

Tarragona Wine Country: Southern Italian “Tapa” for 2.

8 Likes

You should get acquainted with Rosita, she won’t clean your house but she will make you feel better about the mess.

3 Likes

What’s probably the last batch of the fresh local corn + leftover steamed lobster + CSA tomatoes = this improvised pasta dish.

This was an easy meal that let us savor the last morsels of lobster tucked away in the cooler after returning from Maine.

19 Likes

Exceptionally wonderful dish & photography.

1 Like

Thank you! I will let my husband know because it’s his phone that has the better camera for food photos. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, please do let your dear know, I have complimented his photography.

Have a lovely evening.

1 Like

I made turkey tare meatballs following @saregama’s instructions. They were good - a tad salty for our tastes. That’s likely because I should have chosen blander/more neutral sides. Peanut soba noodles with broccoli and smacked cucumber salad went along with. I’d choose plain steamed white rice next time.

11 Likes

Your scallops are always perfection.

1 Like

Uh-uh. I realize everyone’s tastes are different, but I couldn’t at all with either english muffin or french bread pizza when growing up. The bread gets so soggy! Something about an actual pizza crust does not sog up in the same way. Crust magic. Otoh, I will never look sideways at melty cheese on top of warm tomato or marinara sauce.

1 Like

Our local (single) Ethiopian restaurant has a side that they call “cheese.” I’ve never gotten it, bc my fam doesn’t enjoy fresh or farm type cheeses. But is it typically made from buttermilk? I never knew…!

2 Likes

We’ve done BLTs probably three times this month due to a glut of garden tomatoes and everyone seems to have a high tolerance for them here and is not getting tired of it yet. Bacon makes the world go wrong, but tomatoes from the garden are heavenly. We rarely have lettuce for some reason, so sometimes is just BT, sometimes there is avo, and sometimes basil. On occasion, I guild the lily and make the bread too. But I don’t have all the time!!

3 Likes

I was way hungry and it worked for me for a quick lunch. Not saying it was elevated pizza by any means, but I thought it was funny that @NotJrvedivici made some on the same day…

2 Likes

Spectacular stuffed cabbage roll from the Polish market. I have worked so hard on making really good cabbage rolls and still these are so much better. A bit lacking in sauce though and I like a lot of sauce so I augmented what there was with passata mixed with chopped kielbasa and lots of sauerkraut. Plus sour cream mashed with TPSTOB and a lovely crunchy pickle-y cucumber-sweet onion salad.

17 Likes

We had the bounty of the garden to get thru so I decided I was going to make some Sunday gravy with it. So outside to the grill I went to grill myself a pot of gravy as well as some vodka sauce on the grill.

We started with a quick dip in the jacuzzi then ice bath to peel the maters.

Into the blender (as well as a small can of paste, could have used 2 small cans of paste)

Next time to grill some meat balls and sausage. (never previously occurred to me to grill vs fry my meatballs, not too bad, certainly less heavy)

I have more small Cherry type tomatoes I don’t know what to do with so I flambé some into the vodka sauce.

I threw on some quickly marinated thin slices chicken breast

Finished vodka sauce with penne’

23 Likes

wow, just got back from Chicago where it ranged from 75-86 degrees, to 83 degrees in SF - our Indian summer has just begun here! which means we’ll now get our best tomatoes! Posting about the Chicago trip soon…

7 Likes

your pies look phenomenal!

Indian summer is also back on the coast, 80 today, can’t seem to make up it’s mind. It’s all good, I have a lot of peppers I want to turn red.
Dinner was roasted biso chicken thigh, aji verde sauce, potatoes, baby bell peppers, onions and garlic. Salad of greens, sun sugar tomatoes, red onion, cuke, avocado, castelvetrano olives,

sherry vinegar & oo dressing.

16 Likes